BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117618 - 02/11/10 05:48 AM For Dennis
desertdog71 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 38/M/Independence, KS
Thought you might appreciate this. laugh

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#117620 - 02/11/10 07:27 AM Re: For Dennis [Re: desertdog71]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I'm afraid that is older than I. You can tell because the above ground ball returns are every 4 lanes apart rather than 2. Typically, in the older inner City 8-lane bowling alleys, a ball return was outside of lane 1. Then there was a double return between 4 and 5 lanes. The final return was outside of lane 8.

Or another double return between 8-9 lanes with the final return outside of lane 12 in the bigger houses. Which, this appears to be.

Glad you can have some fun, at my expense.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#117627 - 02/11/10 07:54 AM Re: For Dennis [Re: desertdog71]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Ahhh I see the new modern pin setters have just arrived in Kansas laugh

#117663 - 02/11/10 11:48 AM Re: For Dennis [Re: CoachJim]
desertdog71 Offline

Well Dennis, you seem to be quite versed in the ways of pinboy duties. I was saying maybe you were a pinboy, not that you were a bowler at that time. laugh

I was just looking at some pictures of an old AMF house with the 82-30's clicking away and astroline decor. Felt like the old smoke filled places I grew up in.

#117664 - 02/11/10 11:53 AM Re: For Dennis [Re: CoachJim]
desertdog71 Offline

If I buy this place here, I may dig the old telescores out of the back and set one up for laughs.

#117666 - 02/11/10 12:06 PM Re: For Dennis [Re: desertdog71]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Hey, cut operating costs. Just get a pad of score sheets, and tear one off for each lane issued. The bowlers bring back the sheet, and you count the games to charge them. That's the way it used to be.

Oh, the pinboys were pretty adept at picking up the pins with their right hand, 2 at a time, and the ball with their left hand simultaneously. The pins would go into the set rack, and the ball was lifted to the double rail for its return.

At their hayday, the pinboys got 10 cents per line. And usually worked a pair of lanes. League nights were big money as they made $3 with 5 man teams.

#117673 - 02/11/10 12:37 PM Re: For Dennis [Re: Dennis Michael]
desertdog71 Offline

Yeah, I used to hand out the paper scoresheets for open play, and note the frame counter start and end. On weekends I would keep score for $1.00 a game for tournaments, do that all day saturday, get my $30 and then enter the last squad. laugh I was such a degenerate. I was always up for some action. No action anymore it seems, its like pulling teeth to get a side pot going even.

#118071 - 02/14/10 09:39 PM Re: For Dennis [Re: desertdog71]
RWatson44 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 47/Male/Louisiana
Speaking of manual scoring, I really miss that. We have a 10 or 12 lane alley about 20 miles from here that uses score sheets still. In fact, the equipment is from 1963 and is kept in better operating condition than the newer stuff closer to home. from what I understand, it used to be the place to be about 20 or so years ago, but our culture has changed, especially in the south and it can barely stay open now days. I love the smell of the place. You just can't get the smoke smell out. It's like going back in time when I was a kid, where bowling alleys were sacred adult oriented places. I need to give them more business and take some photos for you all.

Oh, when something breaks down, they still can order parts for it. Maybe a little expensive, but still working great!

#118091 - 02/15/10 02:01 AM Re: For Dennis [Re: RWatson44]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Quote:
Just get a pad of score sheets, and tear one off for each lane issued. The bowlers bring back the sheet, and you count the games to charge them. That's the way it used to be.

The problem is the same as gas stations have seen with non prepay policies. YOu get too many "bowl and run". Plus most open bowlers do not know how to keep score. So auto scoring really opened up bowling to everyone, even those that don't know how to keep score.

Erin

#118105 - 02/15/10 08:10 AM Re: For Dennis [Re: Atochabsh]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Man, you just can't trust the people in California. They bolt out of gas stations and bowling alleys without paying. Most automatic systems, controlled at the front desk have payment options of "pay now" or "pay later". But, only the well known customers get the "pay later" option. Do you have to trade your street shoes for bowling shoes too? So, you don't steal the bowling shoes?

There is an older bowler in the Senior Group, 82 year old Joe. He says when he has breakfast at Denny's, they make him prepay cause they don't know if he will make it through the meal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 09:16 PM
Bowled a few games at South Point in Las Vegas
by goobee - 09/03/20 04:38 PM
Roto-Grip Rubicon Video Ball Review
by sk8shorty01 - 08/25/20 05:50 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.