BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117543 - 02/10/10 03:11 PM Tight or open Thumb hole
Unbowleaveable Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 32/M/, Utah/USA
7 years now I've bowled with a Open thumb hole in all ball drillings.
My Pro Shop manager and I come to disagree though. He really thinks tight holes are better and doesn't like opening up a thumb hole for me. 7 years ago I found to not like tight holes because I was uncertain how the ball would come off the hand. The manager says open holes make bowlers grip. I understand that, but am more confident and use tape if necessary with open thumb holes.
This all came up because I brought in a plastic ball to finish off the year spare shooting with. It's been in the closet for 3 years now and had a tight thumb hole.
I'm a 180 average.
Have I approached this wrong for going on 7 years now?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#117545 - 02/10/10 03:28 PM Re: Tight or open Thumb hole [Re: Unbowleaveable]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
You really should have a snug thumb hole, not real tight but not loose. The ball should be able to hold on to your hand just hanging down at your side. As long as the pitch and span are correct a ball with a snug thumb hole will come off the hand at release and you shouldn't need to grip it and try to let it go at the release point.

With too big of a thumb hole you have to consciously grip the ball and try to let it go at the right time. This causes all sorts of inconsistencies with the release, and armswing. There is such a thing as too much tape in a thumbhole that can actually change the span and pitch.
HS:763

#125382 - 04/13/10 05:22 AM Re: Tight or open Thumb hole [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Bolnbob Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 21/M/Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. USA
In my opinion you need to be comfortable and if you feel more comfortable with a bigger thumb hole then that's all the matters. Everyone has their own opinion, just be comfortable. I've never heard of a Pro Shop that would not open up a thumb hole for someone, no matter what they think. If you really want it opened up and he won't, take your business somewhere else.

Storm VG Nano(Polished)
Storm Marvel Pearl
Storm Victory Road
Storm 2Furious
Storm Trop. Heat Blk/Slv
Storm Trop. Breeze Blk/Teal

http://justanothertwohander.blogspot.com/

#125411 - 04/13/10 10:22 AM Re: Tight or open Thumb hole [Re: Bolnbob]
Handful Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 32/male/St Pete, FL/ usa
I will always encourage a snug thumbhole for anyone. you can't have a free armswing when your squeezing on the ball. A snug thumbhole allows for a relax grip which will increase accuracy, increase revs and prevent pain and other health issues with your hand. Now if your preference is loose then go with it. But at least try the snug thumbhole. The summer is comming up which would be a great time to try it for a month or so. throw a bunch of tape in the back or your thumbhole and see what happens for a few weeks (I have 10 pieces of black tape in my thumb right now). After a few weeks if you don't like it then take the tape out and go back to the loose thumb. And if the Pro Shop won't open the thumb for you just get a round rasp or work out tool and do it yourself.
Slingshot

#125422 - 04/13/10 11:23 AM Re: Tight or open Thumb hole [Re: Handful]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
I believe he means snug thumbholes. Tight thumbholes don't really do anything for you either, most because of what you've already mentioned. Tighter thumbholes result in air pressure problems in the thumbhole, particularly if your thumb starts to swell, resulting it you not being able to release the ball right or it sticking on your thumb. If you ever see a bowler, sticking their thumb in a powder bag before they go up to bowl, chances are this is what they are suffering from. Additionally, some bowler's thumbs swell a lot worse than others, I know of a bowler whose thumb swells up so much that by the end of the night he can barely get half of his thumb in. And there's things like blisters you have to worry about.

Open ones are nice because they allow for adjusting but there is the tendency for the bowler to squeeze or clench the ball. Thus leading to myriad of different things that go wrong with their swing or their arm and/or body.

What I like to do is get my thumb measured, and have them open it up just a little and fine tune the fit with tape. Which it sounds like you are doing. I'm with you, having a thumbhole too tight that you can't change the feel of is bad news from the get go, unless you have a thumbless or two-handed style waiting in the wings. Other than that, I'm with ya mate, and if he refuses to drill the ball for you the way you like it I'd go somewhere else.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#125424 - 04/13/10 11:40 AM Re: Tight or open Thumb hole [Re: Unbowleaveable]
trekguy Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: Mn
I think the answer is... it should not be tight or open. It should fit snug enough to not have to squeeze it, while still coming off smoothly. And that's the trick... thumbs change, day to day, season to season, hour to hour. DemoMan, the guy with his thumb in the powder bag... that's me, half way through the night. I've never been a fan of tape, so I try to get by with a little easy slide... but I'm thinking I need to open up the thumb to fit well at max swelling, then fill in with tape. I'm still hopeful that I can convince the Pro Shop guy to try the Vise It in his shop.

If I had to pick, I'd much rather have a thumb hole that's too big. I can get a pretty good feel by blowing a little in the thumb hole... but when I can't get out of it... I'm toast.

#125426 - 04/13/10 11:42 AM Re: Tight or open Thumb hole [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
JackZ Offline

A/S/L: 59/M/Cleveland, Ohio
I agree with everyone. I use an open thrumbhole too and tape to match in case I swell or shrink. If this Pro Shop guy is that stubborn, I wouldn't deal with him. He's there to fit you, not the other way around;)

Another option, which I've used before, is gather the tools to do it yourself. Pro Shop folks can't feel what you're feeling and have to go on what you tell them. I've had them get me close, then finished it off myself.

Better swing, more accuracy, and more spares.
A 200 avg. before summer.

#125437 - 04/13/10 01:48 PM Re: Tight or open Thumb hole [Re: trekguy]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Originally Posted By: trekguy
DemoMan, the guy with his thumb in the powder bag... that's me, half way through the night. I've never been a fan of tape, so I try to get by with a little easy slide...

Well now you know why you're toast when you can't get your thumb out the ball.

Have you tried the tape by Vise (I believe) that you can put on your fingers and thumb? There are 4 different types I believe and each has a different feel depending on if you need something tackier or something to induce the thumb to to come out easier. They tend to be very elastic as well so you can stretch them over your thumb. It may help, that way you won't have to work on taping up your thumbhole as much. You may still require it to be opened up a touch though.

I'm still hopeful that I can convince the Pro Shop guy to try the Vise It in his shop.

If I had to pick, I'd much rather have a thumb hole that's too big. I can get a pretty good feel by blowing a little in the thumb hole... but when I can't get out of it... I'm toast.

I'd like to try that as well. My one teammate has his set up so that he has one thumbhole for when his thumb is smaller and another for when it swells and gets bigger. The problems occur when the inserts break and that's the only downside I've heard about so far.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#125450 - 04/13/10 02:59 PM Re: Tight or open Thumb hole [Re: JackZ]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
I also agree that the thumb should fit as snugly as possible without sticking. Blisters and calluses can develop on the thumb if it moves around (turns, etc) in the hole before or during release.

I can speak from experience on this effect. I recently had to open the sides of my thumb holes with sandpaper because I noticed the inside portion of my thumb had a growing callous causing me to all of a sudden one night to stick in the ball. Iím guessing one of balls had a thumb hole that was too loose and I didnít realize my thumb was moving around in it excessively. Since Iíve sanded the holes coupled with my thumb size changing, Iím now having difficulties finding the right amount/type of tape that provides the fit I want. I now feel like Iím either hanging-up or slipping out of my balls depending on the tape I use. I guess the callous on my thumb actually helped with my ball fit for awhile until it got too big.

I just bought 10 pieces of ďMagic CarpetĒ to try again and if that doesnít work Iím going with the Vise-IT system. I used a piece of MC in the past, but from what I remember I didnít like the carpet burn effect. Now that Iím more aware of what my thumb is doing during release, I can sometimes feel my thumb is still in the hole as Iím beginning to come around the side of the ball. This tells me my thumb isnít exiting fast enough because Iím either gripping (hole too loose?) or hanging-up (hole too tight). This can cause me to ďsuitcaseĒ the shot or worse yet pull to the left. I know when my thumb exits just right because I can feel a clean release with just my fingers putting torque on the ball.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#125491 - 04/13/10 06:44 PM Re: Tight or open Thumb hole [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
trekguy Offline

A/S/L: Mn
Originally Posted By: TheDemolitionMan
DemoMan, the guy with his thumb in the powder bag... that's me, half way through the night. I've never been a fan of tape, so I try to get by with a little easy slide...

Well now you know why you're toast when you can't get your thumb out the ball.

Have you tried the tape by Vise (I believe) that you can put on your fingers and thumb? There are 4 different types I believe and each has a different feel depending on if you need something tackier or something to induce the thumb to to come out easier. They tend to be very elastic as well so you can stretch them over your thumb. It may help, that way you won't have to work on taping up your thumbhole as much. You may still require it to be opened up a touch though.

The Vise tape may be an option, I hadn't thought of that. With my thumb, it's not always that it has swelled up so much in size... but that my hands get warm and tacky... so, the easy slide is helpful for most of the season.

Originally Posted By: TheDemolitionMan
I'm still hopeful that I can convince the Pro Shop guy to try the Vise It in his shop.

I'd like to try that as well. My one teammate has his set up so that he has one thumbhole for when his thumb is smaller and another for when it swells and gets bigger. The problems occur when the inserts break and that's the only downside I've heard about so far.

Yep, best option, I think. Were the inserts that broke Vise ITs?? I have not heard of them breaking very often... more so the Turbo SwitchGrips.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

It's never too early for a good deal!
Shop Amazon - Countdown to Black Friday

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Body Moving Left
by SteveH - Yesterday at 05:07 PM
Critical Care Kitty needs your help
by MiggityMatt - Yesterday at 02:40 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread
by Richie V. - 10/29/14 10:36 PM
Subs wanted for fall virtual league
by Richie V. - 10/28/14 07:05 PM
Fall '14 Week 7 virtual league results
by Richie V. - 10/28/14 07:02 PM
Sore wrist.
by spr3wr - 10/28/14 04:14 PM
Storm Crux Video Ball Review
by BOSStull - 10/28/14 02:42 AM
2014 WTBA World Men's Championships
by Richie V. - 10/26/14 09:21 PM
Ah yes, elbow inside
by SteveH - 10/26/14 11:34 AM
Rough Comparisons of Storm & Roto Grip balls
by SteveH - 10/25/14 04:33 PM
For stubborn straight-bowlers
by SteveH - 10/24/14 05:20 PM
best defiant in the line from roto grip?
by champ - 10/24/14 03:37 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.