BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116876 - 02/05/10 04:40 PM How to get more bowlers in your league? Ideas ??
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 45 m
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions about improving your league in terms of numbers/teams, but also any lucky draws/prize fund ideas that may help would be fantastic..

My main league seems to be slowly dropping a player here or there, and a team every 6 months it seems. We just don't seem to be able to hold onto new teams for more than 1-2 seasons..
We have a core group of 8 teams, plus new teams coming in and out, it is a Monday night, to make it harder still..

I thought maybe if we got rid all together of the prize fund, bring back costs to $16 for 3 games, that might help.. Make it a bit cheaper, and offer it to bowlers on other nights as a cheaper second league..Would bowlers care that much if the missed out on their end of season dinner and trophy??? I don't know..

Any help sincerely appreciated.
Looseleftie

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#116878 - 02/05/10 04:52 PM Re: How to get more bowlers in your league? Ideas ?? [Re: looseleftie]
ecub Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 44/m/usa (IL)
People will leave for various reasons, like not getting along with other members in the league, rules, not challenging enough, too difficult, cheaters, not enough funds, health issues, joining other leagues, and boredom. With todays economy, lot more people are getting laid off so they aren't able to afford the league.

Maybe have those that left leave an anonymous comment on reasons why they leave.

Sometimes, if there's another house nearby that has a more established league, it's hard to bring people in your house in a small or new league.
Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver 15# (@4000)
Storm Natural Pearl 15# (@4000)

PAP: 5 3/4 right 1/4 up
Ball Speed: Mid 15-16 (Power Tweener)

THS: 207
HGS: 279
HSS: 734

#116879 - 02/05/10 05:05 PM Re: How to get more bowlers in your league? Ideas ?? [Re: looseleftie]
JackZ Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 59/M/Cleveland, Ohio
Ours is a Friday league. I left for 4 years and the league is the same size it has been. They charge $20 for 3 games. For that(and the 50/50 raffle they run), we get a spread at Christmas(I think the center chips in) along with a bottle of booze for the most improved on each team at that time, a banquet at the end of the year with awards(money) for anything over and above. I'm shooting for most improved this year....should be worth a few bucks.

Try a 50/50 raffle and see how it goes over. You can also work with the Pro Shop and raffle off balls and bags. That goes over well here.

Better swing, more accuracy, and more spares.
A 200 avg. before summer.

#116889 - 02/05/10 06:26 PM Re: How to get more bowlers in your league? Ideas ?? [Re: JackZ]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 56/M/Mn
4 game league... $12... with a small prize fund. I'm not complaining.

Getting more bowlers is tough... so many options out there for people. It seems people don't want to commit to a night, every week for 8 or 9 months.
Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#116891 - 02/05/10 06:40 PM Re: How to get more bowlers in your league? Ideas ?? [Re: JackZ]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
What kind of league is it, and what kind of bowlers do you want to add?

#116893 - 02/05/10 07:04 PM Re: How to get more bowlers in your league? Ideas ?? [Re: B-Hammer]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Like Ecub mentioned, there are many reasons why bowlers leave a league and finding those reasons out might help. Depending on they type of league you are in, there might be different tactics.

Other than the first season or two I was in a league, none of them have done banquets. Nobody wants it around me I guess. They want to bowl league, have fun, and get whatever winnings they have coming at the end. This includes competitive men leagues.

If this is more of a social fun league, then maybe talking to open play bowlers can help grow the league. If it's a more competitive league it will be a bit harder.

My only league does pretty well. It has grown over the last few years. The past two seasons it has taken up pretty much the whole house after a smaller league folded and most of the bowlers just joined the bigger league. It's 5 person mixed leagues with averages from near and maybe under 100 up to 240 or so. It's a fun yet competitive league in a for the most part well maintained center.
HS:763

#116896 - 02/05/10 07:33 PM Re: How to get more bowlers in your league? Ideas ?? [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
bradw Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 37/M/oklahoma city
every one left our league this year due to poor upkeep of the alley. i guess my team wants to leave next year. i don't want to because i like the people i bowl with but it is disappointing when your balls come back beat to hell.
Lane #1 - Agent Orange
Lane #1 - Blue Death
Lane #1 - Teal THS
900 Global - Bank
Motiv - Recon

HG: 255
HS: 647

#116899 - 02/05/10 08:07 PM Re: How to get more bowlers in your league? Ideas ?? [Re: bradw]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Originally Posted By: bradw
every one left our league this year due to poor upkeep of the alley. i guess my team wants to leave next year. i don't want to because i like the people i bowl with but it is disappointing when your balls come back beat to hell.

I know of a center that lost a lot of bowlers for similar reasons. It wasn't so much ball damage, but the lane conditions, or lack there of. Like many others at other centers have heard, the shot was the same from week to week but using the same ball on the same pair on vastly different lines isn't the same. Then the machine needed fixed but that didn't help. The scorers are older, like original from decades ago and hard to see.
HS:763

#116901 - 02/05/10 08:23 PM Re: How to get more bowlers in your league? Ideas ?? [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Fpurhe Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 20/M
Originally Posted By: Calvin Pistorio
Originally Posted By: bradw

I know of a center that lost a lot of bowlers for similar reasons. It wasn't so much ball damage, but the lane conditions, or lack there of. Like many others at other centers have heard, the shot was the same from week to week but using the same ball on the same pair on vastly different lines isn't the same. Then the machine needed fixed but that didn't help. The scorers are older, like original from decades ago and hard to see.

Sounds like a good one compared to the one I used to bowl at 8 years ago. It was the first year I ever bowled. You had to keep the score manually. This alley also only has 4 lanes. So I decided to upgrade to an alley with 10 lanes and computer.

#116905 - 02/05/10 09:03 PM Re: How to get more bowlers in your league? Ideas [Re: Fpurhe]
JHoney Offline
Junior

A/S/L: Earth
I bowl in southern California and some of the leagues where I bowl have their sweepers in Vegas. The league fee for my Mega-Vegas league is $24 and it covers the sweeper & hotel rooms in Vegas.

People have had lots of fun and our house (40lanes) is filled with leagues 3:30 to 9:00 pm on Wednesdays.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - Yesterday at 10:04 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 09:15 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 12:09 PM
Honor scores 2017-18
by Fin09 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 11/05/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.