BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116323 - 02/02/10 02:42 PM balance arm
Vini Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/Al
I am working on my swing to make it higher (head level).

Of course to do that I need to open shoulders otherwise I cannot raise it.
But...
I am facing 2 problems.

1. Wrapping behind back
2. A weird feeling when ball is reaching down. Like I am rotating my hips or smth. The idea is that I feel my ball is not coming close to my body on the way down but it is a bit away.

For the wrapping - I was thinking to move my balance arm away from my body so the shoulder will not let the arm wrap behind my back.

What do you think ?

Or this is not the solution.

Edited by Vini (02/02/10 02:49 PM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#116398 - 02/03/10 12:28 AM Re: balance arm [Re: Vini]
theycallmediesel Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 27/m/huntington beach
I had that problem before(wrap around) it was all timing related n muscling my swing though. I remember I would run to the line n and on the down swing I would start to grab the ball n try to rip through it (all during the down swing).

when my back swing was head level, I had my balance arm forward with a slight tilt at the waist, as the ball was dropping down from my backswing, I would move my balance arm from forward
to the side.

now, my arm swing is about shoulder height or lower, but I concentrate on my steps/target n not my arm since its freeswing.

#116454 - 02/03/10 10:19 AM Re: balance arm [Re: theycallmediesel]
mikhial66 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 20/M/FL
You can have your shoulders closed and still have a high backswing. When you open up your shoulders you're going to cause problems. You mentioned two of them. When you open your shoulders it pushes your ball behind your body (problem 1) and when you get to the line you're going to try and close your body up to get where you are supposed to be (problem 2). Most people who have too low of a backswing control it or have a bad pushaway. That's what I would work on.
Python
Midnight Vibe
T-Zone (Spare)
Copperhead(THS Ball)

#116459 - 02/03/10 10:47 AM Re: balance arm [Re: mikhial66]
BowlCoach55 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 72/M/Fredericksburg, Virginia
I'm not sure why you are trying to raise your armswing but it shouldn't go higher in the back than it started in the front. A free pendulum armswing is created by gravity, not using arm muscle to lift the ball behind your back. A major league pitcher uses arm muscle to throw the ball but because he uses muscle he would find it impossible to throw 12 strikes in a row and his target is much bigger than yours. To consistently hit your target, your arm must be relaxed letting gravity create the proper height of your backswing. A high backswing may allow you to "THROW" the ball harder but in doing so you will allow greater inaccuracy. If you want more ball speed then you must create faster footwork.

#116461 - 02/03/10 10:53 AM Re: balance arm [Re: BowlCoach55]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#116595 - 02/04/10 05:13 AM Re: balance arm [Re: cgeorg]
Vini Offline
Team USA Contender

ok I need to explain smth:

Before I tried to raise my swing, I had a very low belt-level backswing. It caused me a lot of inconsistencies.

Now I have it between shoulder and head high.
The point is that now I can feel my timing is better.

I will go to practise this afternoon and I will post some video.

thnx

#116603 - 02/04/10 06:14 AM Re: balance arm [Re: Vini]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Joe Slowinski wrote several articles that would help you out check out the swing slot and the balance arm on his web site:

www.bowlingknowledge.info

#116669 - 02/04/10 02:29 PM Re: balance arm [Re: CoachJim]
Vini Offline
Team USA Contender

ok as promised here is a video of me.

What you will see is a few weeks work.

Please COMMENT !!!

#116715 - 02/04/10 06:26 PM Re: balance arm [Re: Vini]
BowlCoach55 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 72/M/Fredericksburg, Virginia
You should try to maintain your balance at the foul line until the ball hits the pins. You were stepping to the left before the ball got 30 feet down the lane. The longer you can maintain your balance at the line, the better your carry. In addition, moving too soon can cause other problems, like rearing up during a pressure situation causing a unexpected ball reaction. At the bowling camps we ask our better bowlers to maintain their balance until the ball falls into the pit. Keep practicing, you are doing fine.

#116718 - 02/04/10 06:50 PM Re: balance arm [Re: BowlCoach55]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
I stay out of these video reviews because honestly, what do I know?

But I'd say you're looking really really good for the amount of experience you have!

I see you're a stroker, which is a lower rev shot. Not sure that raising the swing will help with that particular release.

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - Yesterday at 06:08 AM
For the good of the sport?
by BOSStull - 06/16/18 06:39 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 06/10/18 05:29 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 05/27/18 05:03 PM
no one on for 5 days
by 82Boat69 - 05/23/18 04:38 PM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.