BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#115726 - 01/28/10 06:31 PM 1st Practice with 7/16" Right Lateral Thumb Pitch
ijohn83 Offline
4x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 54/male/Palmdale, California U...
Here are a few shots of my 1st practice with 7/16" Right Lateral Thumb Pitch & my regular 7/16" forward thumb. So far it makes for very accurate spare shooting. I see that I am still on top of the ball. Can anyone tell if it keeps me behind the ball better?

It is very interesting that I have been all the way 1/4" left to 7/16" right with no thumb problems. This 7/16" sure helps you remember to lead with ring or pinky finger.

~ John

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#115734 - 01/28/10 08:04 PM Re: 1st Practice with 7/16" Right Lateral Thumb Pitch [Re: ijohn83]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 56/M/Mn
You're still on top of the ball. You have your wrist in a strong (looking) position at the top of the swing, but it doesn't appear to be strong in reality. It looks floppy, and collapses as the ball comes down to your slide foot. Then, you hit up on the follow through... however the ball is long gone by then. You've got the technique of the free, easy swing down... but the wrist needs to be in a strong position at the ankle in order to get your hand in it.

Here's something to try if you really want to get the feel of the strong wrist position. Take a lighter ball off the rack, one that fits your fingers, and try to throw a few with no thumb. You'll want to tone it down, meaning smaller steps, and much lower backswing etc... it feels extremely weird to do at first. But, I guarantee that you will get the feeling of the release that you're looking for. With no thumb, you will need to carry the ball in your palm til it's past your foot, or it's going to make a very loud, embarrassing noise! Once you're (fairly) comfortable that, just do the same thing with your ball, and your thumb in. It will be easier if you keep it small a few times before you ramp up to your regular speed. If you revert, go back and no thumb it with a light ball again until you can repeat the motion with your ball. You can do it. I await the video showing massive revs!! smile
Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#115737 - 01/28/10 08:18 PM Re: 1st Practice with 7/16" Right Lateral Thumb Pitch [Re: trekguy]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
I-John I feel your pain, I too am struggling with staying under the ball. On the good side you delivery itself looks pretty good to an untrained eye like mine.
Mutant Cell

#115754 - 01/29/10 12:27 AM Re: 1st Practice with 7/16" Right Lateral Thumb Pitch [Re: trekguy]
ijohn83 Offline
4x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 54/male/Palmdale, California U...
Originally Posted By: trekguy
You can do it. I await the video showing massive revs!! smile
Okay, you have me fired-up ready to go! Too bad I bowl Monday - Thursday and do honey do's Friday - Sunday. I am going to have to wait until Monday to do your drills. (Unless the wife is due to have her hair, nails or toes done this weekend) Anyway thanks for the recommendations.

Originally Posted By: Rocket
your delivery itself looks pretty good to an untrained eye like mine.
LoL - Truer words were never spoken! I've only got four years before my contagious, early turning, poor release is caught by an adoring innocent Grandchild.

~ John

#115756 - 01/29/10 12:39 AM Re: 1st Practice with 7/16" Right Lateral Thumb Pitch [Re: ijohn83]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 56/M/Mn
I have to agree, you have good form and balance, and obviously are strong. Ball speed will never be in short supply. Once you get the feel for the unload... you will be a revmeister... and an excellent example for the Grandkid. thumbsup
Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#115767 - 01/29/10 03:18 AM Re: 1st Practice with 7/16" Right Lateral Thumb Pitch [Re: trekguy]
spectral Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 24/M/Belgium
i'm definitely no pro, but here's what i see:

you have a very very very good style till the point where your arm nears the sliding foot. You turn the hand way too early taking all the power out of your ball.

your swing looks great tho, timing looks great, it all seems effortless. Good job. If you get the feel for the release you will have a very strong effortless throw.

Since i have the same problem as you, and more... but i'm specifically talking about the early turning now. Throwing thumbless did not help me develop the feel to keep the hand behind the ball. It did help me to recognize how a ball should feel on your fingers to get some revolutions into it. What helped me was watching the swing when it went back. You won't be able to aim for [censored], your balls will go in the gutter but you will know when you stayed behind it. And for me when i stayed directly behind the ball it felt like my arm was twisted around... No way i could ever duplicate that feeling if i didn't know that i had to overdo it like that...

just my 2 cents

#115779 - 01/29/10 09:34 AM Re: 1st Practice with 7/16" Right Lateral Thumb Pitch [Re: spectral]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I think your wrist issues come from not waiting on the ball. It looks to me like you are free and relaxed until the ball begins to come down into the delivery and then you start to pull it faster and faster. Without stopping the pulling in the downswing your wrist is going to be hard pressed to stay in a strong position when there is so much force being applied against it.

The reason I say this is watch the difference in your balance arm and left shoulder on your spare shot at 1:15 as opposed to the first ball you throw at 1:30. In the spare shot your balance arm ends up pointing straight sideways when the ball is at about 45 degrees in the forward swing towards the release. On that strike shot you can see your balance arm is already straight sideways right as the ball begins to descend into the forward swing. This is a clue that you are pulling the ball with your ball side shoulder into the release point, thus "whipping" your balance arm and left shoulder back and away from your target.

Have you tried the backup ball drill yet? Just curious as that might help train you to wait on the ball if you do it enough times in a row. It typically takes about 3 games worth of it in a row to train that arm to wait.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#115781 - 01/29/10 09:42 AM Re: 1st Practice with 7/16" Right Lateral Thumb Pitch [Re: sk8shorty01]
spectral Offline
Action Bowler

well i didn't notice the pulling at all. I'll have to watch it again in orde to start reconizing it, so that i can recognize it with my own style as well.

@sk8:

What to do when you can't perform the backup drill. When i try to throw a backup ball the ball does not cleanly get off my hand, i loft it like crazy everytime and it feels like my whole forearm has to twist around 3 times before i'm even slighty in the backup position. I think my arm is just naturally pointed outside. Staying behind the ball is possible for me but any further than that and it feels like i really have to force it to stay there. Maybe i'm just not flexible enough

#115783 - 01/29/10 10:01 AM Re: 1st Practice with 7/16" Right Lateral Thumb Pitch [Re: spectral]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
spectral, the first couple of shots will most likely not backup, but rather they will go straight. It usually takes me about 5 shots to get comfortable with it, how many times in a row have you done it? Have you rolled an entire game backup?

Even if you do not get the ball to backup, just the conscience thought of your hand having to be in that inside position will help your first ball when you switch back to a standard release.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#115794 - 01/29/10 11:01 AM Re: 1st Practice with 7/16" Right Lateral Thumb Pitch [Re: sk8shorty01]
spectral Offline
Action Bowler

no i've tried it like 3-4 times because it doesn't feel good for my elbow when i try it. I'm a bit scared i could really hurt my elbow when i hang in the ball a little

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 10:42 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/21/18 07:57 AM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.