BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#115414 - 01/26/10 11:48 AM Why doesn't the PBA have this?
Coach Hardwick Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 47/M/Colorado Springs/CO/USA
Why doesn't the PBA tour have a dominant bowler like Roger Federer is to Tennis and Tiger Woods is to Golf?

I'm talking about someone we would see each week making The Show and winning. Look at how many majors and tournaments Roger Federer has one over the past few years.

Do you think Prize Money has anything to do with it?

What would happen if the PBA had similar Prize Money as Tennis and Golf?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#115419 - 01/26/10 12:12 PM Re: Why doesn't the PBA have this? [Re: Coach Hardwick]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Because the environment can change anything. If you think about, within the course of a few frames a game can swing in one direction or another. I have yet to see Federer start playing in the sun and then continue when it starts to rain. They will in golf, but still Tiger Woods is Tiger Woods. But typically, the environment where they are playing doesn't change a whole lot. Lane conditions can change within a few games. Plus, bowlers play how many games before they get to the finals? Like 50-60+ games. A lot can happen. That's not to say that tennis players and golfers don't go through that type of qualification. But still that's a lot of stress on the body for a bowler IMO.

Plus, as bowlers we know that sometimes there are good days, and bad days. Usually, Federer and Woods don't have bad days.

Lastly, I think that is kind of the PBA is trying to do with the Two-Handed guys.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#115422 - 01/26/10 12:48 PM Re: Why doesn't the PBA have this? [Re: Coach Hardwick]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Great questions, Coach Hardwick.

Originally Posted By: Coach Hardwick
Why doesn't the PBA tour have a dominant bowler like Roger Federer is to Tennis and Tiger Woods is to Golf? I'm talking about someone we would see each week making The Show and winning. Look at how many majors and tournaments Roger Federer has one over the past few years.

I would argue that the PBA tour has had its dominant champions. For example, Earl Anthony, Mark Roth, and Walter Ray Williams, Jr. However, it becomes harder each year for one person to become dominant because of increases in knowledge about the sport of bowling, biomechanics, etc., and improvements in technology. These work to level the playing field. However, certain bowlers who match up well and specialize in certain patterns can still be dominant on that pattern. For example, Wes Malott on the Scorpion pattern last year.

Originally Posted By: Coach Hardwick
Do you think Prize Money has anything to do with it? What would happen if the PBA had similar Prize Money as Tennis and Golf?

Absolutely, I think prize money is a huge factor. More prize money would attract a larger pool of talent. Given equal skills in golf and bowling, which career would be likely to make more money? The best bowler in the world may be an undiscovered talent because they have chosen to compete in a more lucrative sport. It's the same reason why Walter Ray competes in both horseshoes and bowling. Being a champion horseshoe pitcher pays even less than being a bowling champion.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#115427 - 01/26/10 01:26 PM Re: Why doesn't the PBA have this? [Re: Joe Bowler]
Dennis Michael Online   jestera
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Kelly Kulick just won the TOC on Sunday. Her paycheck was $40,000. That would be 20th on the PGA pay.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#115428 - 01/26/10 01:26 PM Re: Why doesn't the PBA have this? [Re: Joe Bowler]
J_w73 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Northern CA
There is a group of bowlers that do dominate the tour. There are 100's of bowlers that compete every week and if you aren't looking up the standings online you would never know their names.. 4 out of the same 6-10 people are on the TV finals every week.

The bowlers that are on top are at the top skill level and all very similar in skill. There isn't too much else that you could do to stand out and be that much better.

Book Average 220

#115434 - 01/26/10 02:01 PM Re: Why doesn't the PBA have this? [Re: J_w73]
Domokun Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: male/DC Metro
I believe it's all about sponsorships:

U.S. Open sponsors = Amex, Citizen, Chase, IBM, Mercedes-Benz, Polo, Canon, Tiffany & Co.

PBA Bowling = Lumber Liquidators, Motel 6, Dr. Scholls, Flomax, Barbasol, Firestone, Geico, bowling-related companies...random beer company here and there.

Still not the pretty-pretty sport that attracts big poppa money sponsors. Kinda odd since NASCAR--arguably the bluest of the blue collar most-watched sports--has hundreds of medium-->high dollar sponsors.

Ebonite: Challenge, Exceed, Innovate
Storm/RG: Cell Pearl, Tropical Breeze

"Only NBC or CBS for me. New Ball Carry or Clean Ball Strikes. Channel 4 and 14 or nothing." -- D. Ryan

#115443 - 01/26/10 04:17 PM Re: Why doesn't the PBA have this? [Re: Domokun]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Yeah, those Flomax commercials are starting to p-i-s-s me off.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#115449 - 01/26/10 05:53 PM Re: Why doesn't the PBA have this? [Re: Joe Bowler]
desertdog71 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 38/M/Independence, KS
Cable TV and Video Games killed bowling. I will argue this to the end of time. Here is the reason.

1. Families and couples used to go out and bowl or play cards a couple nights a week. This was very common and bowling was king. For many years in the 50's-60's Bowling was the most watched sport on Television. It was even higher rated than football and baseball. That generation is gone now, and there is a vast array of new entertainment options.

2. People have changed, and the appeal of going bowling, drinking beer and chain smoking is gone now. Times have changed and what was cool and the thing to do in the 50's-70's now makes you a black pariah. Look at all the things that were king in years past. Boxing, Bowling, Horse Racing, and Billiards. All are associated with negative aspects now. Everybody is all uptight and PC these days, so bowling has suffered.

Other factors that have ruined the game, are equipment, and house shots made to inflate scores. In the days before FABALL and Urethane it was a big deal to shoot 300 and hardly anybody averaged 200 plus. Nobody complained about it either, but as in ALL sports advances in technology have changed the game. If you took the huge cores out of balls, and went back to polyester and rubber coverstocks, averages would come way down and back to reality.

This game used to be about getting together with friends and having a good time. It has turned into a carry contest where what used to be a 140 average bowler now carries a 200 average and complains because he can't shoot 700 every week.

I still enjoy the game because I have done it my whole life and in comparison to most people I am far superior at it. I will openly admit that I DO NOT like what the game has become. The advances in technology has done nothing to enhance the game or attract more people. Bowling centers are closing daily, and people stay home watching reality TV rather than develope relationships outside the home.

#115454 - 01/26/10 06:40 PM Re: Why doesn't the PBA have this? [Re: desertdog71]
Domokun Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: male/DC Metro
Well, there seems to be money in the Strike/Bowlmor houses. Of course, they're charging $12+ per game.

These places are definitely not for us, of course...a bouncer at DC's Lucky Strike laughed at me when I was bringing in my equipment to a party some years ago. "Won't need that, buddy." Of course, he was absolutely correct. Hit the booze and food midway through the first game and stopped playing.

Just the same, the non-competitive bowlers seem to like it a lot and the idea of those are to fix the problem you raised in your second point. Downsides are the expense, wearing club attire to bowl, and possibly running into Paris Hilton.

Ebonite: Challenge, Exceed, Innovate
Storm/RG: Cell Pearl, Tropical Breeze

"Only NBC or CBS for me. New Ball Carry or Clean Ball Strikes. Channel 4 and 14 or nothing." -- D. Ryan

#115474 - 01/26/10 09:46 PM Re: Why doesn't the PBA have this? [Re: Coach Hardwick]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:
What would happen if the PBA had similar Prize Money as Tennis and Golf?

More people would watch, nobody wants to see them bowl for less money than you could win on a game show. It is just not enough prize money to make it worth while for a tiger woods type of athlete to bowl instead of playing in the NFL or NBA, or MLB.

I personally think the PBA should start over and cut it down to the Majors and increase the prize fund to the point where it would be interesting enough to watch and attract top athletes to the sport of bowling.

One other thing to consider is this; Maybe bowling's Tiger Woods is already in the PBA, but the game has changed to give all the other bowlers an equal advantage. Let's face it, easy lane conditions, high tech equipment, and manufacturer's representatives putting the right ball in lesser players hands have leveled the playing field.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/14/18 12:15 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.