BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#115298 - 01/25/10 08:28 PM Re: Ball brands [Re: HughScot]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 56/M/Mn
Originally Posted By: HughScot
Don't forget that most Pro Shops will get paid more by certain mfgs for selling their brand. This applies to everything retail. So we never know if a Pro Shop is recommending one over another purely for financial gain. If this is not true with bowling balls I hope someone corrects me.........but I'll be very surprised.

How about the magazine "Bowling This Month" and their reviews, they have little advertising and perhaps are legit in their reviews.

I don't doubt that there are different markups for different brands, but when I ask, they always give options for all the brands they carry. They are very low pressure regarding ball sales... sometimes I think it would be easier if they would just say "this is the ball for you!" wink

Bowling This Month... I'll check it out. Thanks
Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#115301 - 01/25/10 08:35 PM Re: Ball brands [Re: trekguy]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Quote:
Don't forget that most Pro Shops will get paid more by certain mfgs for selling their brand.

WHAT???!! How do I sign up????

I have NEVER head of a shop getting a kick back to sell a certain brand of balls. Many manufacters sell programs to pro shops for minor discounts. But the shop has to pay to be a "club member". And the discounts are not significant unless you are selling a lot of balls.

IMO, most times a Pro Shop leans towards certain brands from personal experience and what they see work in the center they bowl at or are located within.

Erin

#115303 - 01/25/10 08:46 PM Re: Ball brands [Re: desertdog71]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Quote:
So, bottom line, a smooth arc would be fine... as long as it carries, and as long as it doesn't roll out on me.

Though the Rogue Cell is a good ball. I still love the reaction from the Original Cell. And since most manufacterers are turning balls over very quickly and the Cell has been around for a couple years now, I'd pick one up before they are discontinued.

Another option is the Hammer Raw line. The Hammer Jacked or Acid are great ball for the money and they will plow through some oil.

But you have to keep in mind that a heavy oil ball, will not skid snap. Unless of course you have strong backends and lots of oil and a PBA hand. But for most of us, a heavy oil ball is meant to hook early and arc into the pocket. Getting it to arc without losing too much energy is the key. And the Origional Cell is great for this.

The Virtual Gravity is probably the oil ball of the summer. But I found that I really needed a lot of oil in order for it to not roll out. If that's what you have then there's an option too, but its more angular then the Cell.

Erin

#115304 - 01/25/10 08:49 PM Re: Ball brands [Re: Atochabsh]
HughScot Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 76/M/NC
Well I guess the Bowling Ball mfg. are behind times. Take a camera store, certain brands like Nikon will pay a higher commission to sales personnel to sell their models. And this applies to most other major mfg. of televisions, high end audio equipment, etc. Kickbacks are illegal per se, but sales incentives are not.
Hammer Turbo Deep Purple 14#

#115307 - 01/25/10 09:00 PM Re: Ball brands [Re: desertdog71]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 56/M/Mn
Originally Posted By: desertdog71
If it was me I would choose the following:

1. Brunswick Siege
2. Rogue Cell
3. Storm Virtual Gravity.

These are all solid coverstock, with asymmetric cores.

Reading the reviews, the VG would appear to be the most aggressive, but it comes at 4000 abralon?? While the Siege is oob 1000 MicroPad. I'm assuming that MicroPad and Abralon are similar?? That's a pretty wide gap from 1000 to 4000, isn't it? Is that a difference between manufacturers?? I worry that these would be too aggressive, and would hook up too soon. This may be an irrational fear that I have based on past experience, but would hate to spend big bucks on a ball that I couldn't use.

The Rogue Cell is a hybrid... apparently a mix of solid and pearl??? 4000 abralon matte finish. Would this be too close of a match to the Playmaker (pearl,4000,polish).
Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#115308 - 01/25/10 09:03 PM Re: Ball brands [Re: Atochabsh]
TenPin_ Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 32/M/TX
Ditto what Erin said.

There are a few manufacturers that offer "VIP" programs but they cost a lot of money up front. If a shop makes a lot of sales of that manufacturers balls it can be worth it, but the discounts per ball are not that great.

I think the only time a Pro Shop would get a really good deal from a manufacturer is if that Pro Shop person is on their staff, but that's becoming harder to do and there are a lot of other requirements to being on staff (like regularly bowling / placing in tournaments, doing trade shows, etc).

I try to listen to my league bowlers and read the reviews online to help determine which balls are preferred over others, but I will still sell a person any ball that they want if they insist. All the manufacturers make good balls, some balls just end up being leaders in their price / performance category while others are under-performers. But very few anymore are outright duds.

And I too recommend BTM for their reviews. BJI has decent reviews but the one's in BTM go deeper, having the results from a stroker, tweener, and cranker on 3 different oil patterns and they just seem more consistent and structured.

Edited by TenPin_ (01/25/10 09:07 PM)

#115313 - 01/25/10 09:46 PM Re: Ball brands [Re: TenPin_]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
I would stay away from the Siege, especially on a 39 foot pattern. The ball seems pretty condition specific, and does not seem to move for people on house shots. I think it needs a lot of oil to be effective.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#115327 - 01/25/10 10:49 PM Re: Ball brands [Re: cgeorg]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I found that the Virtual Gravity can't be used all night. It was very condition specific. As soon as the oil changed, most I know, and myself would put it away. I eventually put mine away permanently. Unreliable for me.

The people I know who still use it have sanded it and keep the oil off. It does soak oil.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#115346 - 01/25/10 11:49 PM Re: Ball brands [Re: Dennis Michael]
RDubYa Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Florida
Keep in mind that pro shops always like to sell what they have in stock and although most will special order any ball you want, they don't always seem encouraging about this option.

Erin has a great point. What the Pro Shop person likes, he or she recommends. Check out what's in the bag of your local Pro Shop person and you will know what they are most likely to sell to you.

If your Pro Shop person is a PBA member, also remember that some ball companies offer discounts to PBA members.

#115352 - 01/26/10 12:21 AM Re: Ball brands [Re: cgeorg]
lebowski120669 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Kansas City
Originally Posted By: cgeorg
Mutant Cell was not designed to go long - it is one of the earliest and most even rolling balls on the market. The farther right you can use it, the better.

Agreed. I'm playing the second arrow with mine & tearing it up.

Ball Speed 17-17.5mph
Revs 360-380

RG Critical Theroy 16 2K
RG Mutant Cell Pearl 16 2K Polished
RG Mars 16 4K Polished
RG Grand Illusion 16 150 Grit
Hammer Big Blue Spare 15
Dexter SST8 White/Black

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by Dennis Michael - Today at 03:59 PM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Today at 01:06 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.