BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#114902 - 01/22/10 09:17 PM Creating that flat spot
Smooth Lefty Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 17 M USA
What exactly is that flat spot during the release? How do I keep the ball closer to the body without actually hitting my ankle? I have read about the cupping and uncupping of the wrist and keeping your wrist in the postion you want the ball to roll. Which is the most effective way for a consistent release with a good amount of revs? How do you actually work the inside of the ball? Also, during the release, I try to stop squeezing the ball. This has worked somewhat. My thumb feels as if it is being pulled by the ball and is putting pressure on the side of my thumb as I bowl. It feels as if it is about to slip. When I keep my nail to the back of the hole, it put pressure on the side of my thumb by the knuckle. What is wrong? All my balls are 15 pounds, should I go down a pound on my next ball purchase?

Storm Virtual Gravity Nano #15
Storm Virtual Gravity Nano Pearl #15
Storm Sync #15
Hammer Vibe 15#
Roto Grip Cell Pearl 15#
Roto Grip Mutant Cell 15#
Brunswick C(System) 3.5 15#
Brunswick C(System) 4.5 15#
Hammer Axe Spare Ball 15#

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#114946 - 01/23/10 11:00 AM Re: Creating that flat spot [Re: Smooth Lefty]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Originally Posted By: Lone Lefty
What exactly is that flat spot during the release?
That was answered in a recent thread.

How do I keep the ball closer to the body without actually hitting my ankle?
Move your slide foot to the center of your body, aligned with the shoulder and chin.

I have read about the cupping and uncupping of the wrist and keeping your wrist in the postion you want the ball to roll. Which is the most effective way for a consistent release with a good amount of revs?
You can do that release without the cupping/uncupping until you feel comfortable with it, then add the cupping/uncupping for extra revs. In addition, you can flip the wrist over the top of the ball as a continuation of the uncupping motion for even more revs (make a fist).

How do you actually work the inside of the ball?
That's a different release style. If you swing hte ball with the hand on the inside of the ball, then you'll have to rotate the wrist in order to get some spin. The more rotation, the less control you will have, so just a very minimal rotation, done very quickly. Also, crankers work the inside. You don't want to imitate them (e.g. Tommy Jones) until you have the strength.

Also, during the release, I try to stop squeezing the ball. This has worked somewhat.
Don't ever squeeze the ball at any time, from start to finish.

My thumb feels as if it is being pulled by the ball and is putting pressure on the side of my thumb as I bowl. It feels as if it is about to slip. When I keep my nail to the back of the hole, it put pressure on the side of my thumb by the knuckle. What is wrong?
dunno.

All my balls are 15 pounds, should I go down a pound on my next ball purchase?
I doubt it. 15 is the most popular weight for men. To get stronger, go down to Target and buy a couple of kettlebells and do wrist curls. Although, come to think of it, I was using 14 pounds at your age....

A final note - in bowling, the only muscles you use from the shoulder to the fingertips are the forearm muscles connected to the wrist. You don't use and upper arm muscles - deltoids, biceps, triceps. The swing should be a pendulum swing, with the hand falling at the same rate that the ball is falling. The wrist muscles come into play at the bottom of the swing as the weight of the ball transfers to your hand in each direction. On the forward downswing, however, you are beginning to uncup right at the bottom of the swing, so really the muscles are required on the backward downswing moreso than the forward one. Cupping is an extra, and is not really necessary. Just a firm wrist will get you enough revs to hook a brand new ball. If you have an old worn out ball, you will do what I did - try a lot of ways of rotating the wrist to get the ball to hook. You can watch sk8's and cgeorg's videos on YouTube for some good examples of form and release. Their youtube names are sk8shorty01 and cgeorg. Another two good youtube users are BowltechBowlingTips and nextlevelbowling. They have some great instructional videos. Just type in the user name in the search bar at youtube to find the videos.
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#114950 - 01/23/10 11:12 AM Re: Creating that flat spot [Re: 10PinGaloot]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Flat Spot thread:
Hinge release thread

mainly pay attention to cgeorg;s link to
flat spot
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#115010 - 01/23/10 05:14 PM Re: Creating that flat spot [Re: 10PinGaloot]
Smooth Lefty Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 17 M USA
Thanks...this helped me out a lot. And I am good friends with everyone at the house I bowl at, and they give me great tips. Plus I really know the guy in the Pro Shop. Everyone is so helpful.

Storm Virtual Gravity Nano #15
Storm Virtual Gravity Nano Pearl #15
Storm Sync #15
Hammer Vibe 15#
Roto Grip Cell Pearl 15#
Roto Grip Mutant Cell 15#
Brunswick C(System) 3.5 15#
Brunswick C(System) 4.5 15#
Hammer Axe Spare Ball 15#

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/14/18 12:15 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.