BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#114880 - 01/22/10 05:45 PM sticking Thumb
Cremona Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 21/M/Canada
Hey guys. I have been having release issues for a while. My rev rate is no where near what it should/could be. Here is whats been happening.

I have a Storm Rapid Fire. It is currently the only ball I am using due to it being the only ball I have drilled to my span.

Lately I have been practicing my back swing and I am noticing something. During my backswing with my wrist slightly cocked my thumb slips out a bit. Its only the front part of my thumb. It comes out about a centemeter or two. But I dont think it should be sliding out at all.

Secondly. My ball doesnt have a thumb slug. Inside it gets moist/sticky sometimes.

My thumb will only come out of the ball clean if it comes straight out of the thumb hole. It cant come out if it is tilted any other way. And because my thumb always slips out during the backswing,it is enough to make my thumb crooked when coming out and in turn rub the top half of my thumb and make my release not very pleasing.

I recently had my ball redrilled and my Pro Shop guy suggested a wider span. I was going to ask him for something wider any ways so I was happy I was on the right Track.

I just cant seem to fix this problem. So do you think my thumb is to small? I need some pitch? I need a thumb slug? Maybe my wrist isnt strong enough? even though I doubt thats the reason.

I plan to get a new ball soon. I recently joined a sport league and I have no ball for heavy oil. I am 95% going to purchase the Storm Invasion.

I dont want to do a exact copy of my rapid fire If I am going to have these problems.

Any input would be great. Thanks

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#114889 - 01/22/10 07:21 PM Re: sticking Thumb [Re: Cremona]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
It sounds like you're going to have to do some experimenting, and better to do that on the existing ball than on a new, undrilled ball.

A bad release will often make your thumb stick. In that case, it has nothing to do with the proper grip. can you describe your release?

I'm not convinced your span is too short. maybe it's too long. Maybe you could post a picture or describe where the fingers are when the thumb is in the hole.

Your span must be correct before you can do any experimenting. If it's not correct now, then that must be fixed. I would recommend a slug, to eliminate sticking and make for a smooth exit. Also, some experiments can then be tried without redrilling the hole - changing the hole size and pitch, for instance. the advantage of not redrilling the slug hole is that you don't have to wait a day for the epoxy filler to dry. Just remove the old slug and put in the new slug.

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#114890 - 01/22/10 07:25 PM Re: sticking Thumb [Re: 10PinGaloot]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Originally Posted By: CoachJim
You can tell if your span is correct by placing your thumb in the ball and laying your fingers across the holes. The leading edge (side closest to the thumb) of the finger hole should be no longer than half way between the first and second knuckle of the middle and ring finger without stretching your hand, it should be relaxed. It can be a little shorter than that, but not shorter than one quarter from the second knuckle.

If you already have a ball you can tell if your span is right by putting your hand in the ball and see if the fingernails are pressing the back of the holes, a properly fit ball will not have the fingers pressing into the back of the hole.

On my balls I can put my thumb in first and still be able to put my fingers in the ball, I donít advocate bowling like this, but it is a good test to see if your span is too long.

If your span passes that test and the thumb still slips out in the backswing, you need to add tape to the hole to snug it up. You shouldn't have to hold onto the ball - the ball should hold onto you. If tape doesn't work (you fall out, and then put a piece of tape in and stick), you need to adjust your forward/reverse pitch - the most likely move would be more forward.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#114894 - 01/22/10 07:35 PM Re: sticking Thumb [Re: cgeorg]
Calvin Pistorio Online   content
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Originally Posted By: cgeorg
Originally Posted By: CoachJim
You can tell if your span is correct by placing your thumb in the ball and laying your fingers across the holes. The leading edge (side closest to the thumb) of the finger hole should be no longer than half way between the first and second knuckle of the middle and ring finger without stretching your hand, it should be relaxed. It can be a little shorter than that, but not shorter than one quarter from the second knuckle.

If you already have a ball you can tell if your span is right by putting your hand in the ball and see if the fingernails are pressing the back of the holes, a properly fit ball will not have the fingers pressing into the back of the hole.

On my balls I can put my thumb in first and still be able to put my fingers in the ball, I donít advocate bowling like this, but it is a good test to see if your span is too long.

If your span passes that test and the thumb still slips out in the backswing, you need to add tape to the hole to snug it up. You shouldn't have to hold onto the ball - the ball should hold onto you. If tape doesn't work (you fall out, and then put a piece of tape in and stick), you need to adjust your forward/reverse pitch - the most likely move would be more forward.

::Takes a drink::
HS:763

#114968 - 01/23/10 12:43 PM Re: sticking Thumb [Re: 10PinGaloot]
Cremona Offline
Bantam

Ok. Concerning my span. Both finger creases are in the middle of both finger holes.

For my release. Its very traditional. Nothing oddball. Its why I have been maintaining a 200 average. My accuracy is still there.

I think I am going bowling today so I will tape my thumb hole. But I have tried this before and its never worked.

#114971 - 01/23/10 12:49 PM Re: sticking Thumb [Re: Cremona]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
That doesn't answer the span test. The leading edge of the hole should come halfway between the first and second knuckle. In most cases, the finger crease in the middle of the hole method leads to a stretched span.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#114978 - 01/23/10 01:04 PM Re: sticking Thumb [Re: cgeorg]
Cremona Offline
Bantam

Both finger holes are between the first and second knuckle on both fingers.

#115008 - 01/23/10 04:43 PM Re: sticking Thumb [Re: Cremona]
Cremona Offline
Bantam

Ok. I just came back from bowling.

Put tape in the thumb. My thumb was very tight in there. Even to tight. My thumb still likes to pop out on my backswing and upon my release with my hand cocked I cannot release the bowling ball properly.The ball wants out of my hand at such a angle that my thumb gets stuck. Im now almost certain I need some pitch

#115044 - 01/23/10 10:30 PM Re: sticking Thumb [Re: Cremona]
Calvin Pistorio Online   content
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
What kind of pitch do you thing you need? You have forward and reverse and then lateral which is left to right. If your span isn't right then you are gonna have problems no matter what you do.
HS:763

#115071 - 01/24/10 01:19 AM Re: sticking Thumb [Re: Cremona]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Originally Posted By: Cremona
Put tape in the thumb. My thumb was very tight in there. Even to tight. My thumb still likes to pop out on my backswing...

Before going any further, we should really know the pitch of your thumb hole. The thumb falling out can be caused by too much reverse pitch. Also, maybe the hole is the wrong shape for your thumb.
Can you have the driller check that for us? While he's at it, he can check your span to make sure it's okay. It's a free service.
If you must cup the ball in order to keep it on your hand, then you definitely have a grip problem.

Originally Posted By: Cremona
...upon my release with my hand cocked I cannot release the bowling ball properly.The ball wants out of my hand at such a angle that my thumb gets stuck. Im now almost certain I need some pitch
Your hand should not be cupped at the point of release. As you say, the thumb just flat out will not come out of the ball when the wrist is cupped. That is why, if you cup the ball, you need to uncup as the first part of your release. Timing is critical.

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Please comment/critique my game!
by spr3wr - 17 minutes 29 seconds ago
Brunswick sold
by mmalsed - Today at 11:34 AM
Lane transition and changing balls
by Dennis Michael - Today at 10:10 AM
No interest in PBA Experience Leagues
by Dennis Michael - Today at 10:06 AM
Summer Leagues 2014 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 10:34 PM
Sign-up for Fall '14 V-league open (close 8/17)
by Richie V. - 07/29/14 02:30 PM
Tournaments 2013-2014
by Joe Bowler - 07/28/14 11:54 PM
The Sinister Unfolds
by SteveH - 07/26/14 12:58 PM
2013-2014 Honor Scores
by BOSStull - 07/26/14 08:46 AM
Add Bowling Revs By Adding Lag
by BOSStull - 07/26/14 07:57 AM
Very Strange Ball Track Problem
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/14 02:05 PM
Resurfacing the Storm Byte
by djp1080 - 07/23/14 11:55 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.