BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#114444 - 01/19/10 01:29 PM Re: Sean Rash [Re: beefers1]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 29/M/Merritt Island, FL
I am not sure why he throws it so hard at spares. Almost as if he doesn't trust that his plastic will go straight at a normal speed so he is throwing it faster to compensate. If you look at the best spare shooters in the game: Walter Ray, Norm Duke, Brian Voss, all three throw it normal speed and have no trouble covering pins. It just doesn't seem necessary to throw it that fast, I mean you only have to knock it over, not put it through the curtain.

And I will agree that Sean Rash can flat out bowl, there is no doubt about it. I wish I could bowl like him (first ball), but I think once he gets those TV Demons out of his head he will put another winning streak together.

Edited by sk8shorty01 (01/19/10 01:30 PM)

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 4
Career 800 series - 4
High Scratch Series - 823

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#114466 - 01/19/10 03:52 PM Re: Sean Rash [Re: sk8shorty01]
Fin09 Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 47/M/Virginia Beach, VA
He just appears to be as tight as a drum. Look at him from the time he puts his hand in the ball to the time he releases the ball. He looks like he's squeezing the life out of the ball, and his arm swing looks so muscled, he can never repeat shots. If he is able to relax and get it back in his mind that he's not expected to win now, he'll start to see some improvement. The spare shots are just way out of control. Hard and straight doesn't have to require that much effort. He doesn't win anything for having the fastest spare ball on tour.

Bowl up a Storm!

#114469 - 01/19/10 04:07 PM Re: Sean Rash [Re: Fin09]
JackZ Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 59/M/Cleveland, Ohio
That(throwing the ball that hard), to me, is an anger issue. I've seen it in league and tournaments. Can't kick the ball return on TV....too unprofessional and I'm sure a fine would follow;)

Better swing, more accuracy, and more spares.
A 200 avg. before summer.

#114476 - 01/19/10 05:20 PM Re: Sean Rash [Re: JackZ]
KahKiat Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: Male, Singapore
It seems, the only time that a power player. Should use his/her strength for hitting splits or making super high revs like Smith. If not, they might miss the spares & etc. It will also drains your stamina. After the whole day of bowling.

Maybe he should take a rest from bowling for a few months. Use Sarge easter grip or something to tame his shots.

Edited by KahKiat (01/19/10 05:25 PM)

#114490 - 01/19/10 06:49 PM Re: Sean Rash [Re: sk8shorty01]
beefers1 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 20/M/Toronto, ON
Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01
I am not sure why he throws it so hard at spares. Almost as if he doesn't trust that his plastic will go straight at a normal speed so he is throwing it faster to compensate. If you look at the best spare shooters in the game: Walter Ray, Norm Duke, Brian Voss, all three throw it normal speed and have no trouble covering pins. It just doesn't seem necessary to throw it that fast, I mean you only have to knock it over, not put it through the curtain.

And I will agree that Sean Rash can flat out bowl, there is no doubt about it. I wish I could bowl like him (first ball), but I think once he gets those TV Demons out of his head he will put another winning streak together.

I watched his first show on Youtube and he threw at spares with his regular strike (reactive) ball. I don't think he has problems with it going straight.

I think some people throw it faster at spares because mentally, they might be trusting to hit target more if they're thrusting it towards the target, instead of just dropping it at the line. Try throwing a baseball at a target and you may find that a little speed (not too much) does help with accuracy. I used to play basketball and was better at 3-point shots and free throws than lay-ups because I was able to push the ball toward the basket but couldn't simply lay it in.

You don't see Smith and TJ missing single-pin spares at all (okay, maybe one per tournament, which is about the same amount WRW or PBIII misses) and Palermaa doesn't miss that many either. And they all throw VERY hard. So I think the problem's isolated to Rash.

Edited by beefers1 (01/19/10 06:57 PM)

#114491 - 01/19/10 06:51 PM Re: Sean Rash [Re: KahKiat]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Rash throwing hard at spares probably stems from his time of using reactives on all shots. His first TV appearance he was using the same ball for strikes and spares, either an Inferno or Total Inferno. Of course he was using the broken wrist no side rotation method but he would throw it hard to keep it online and in similar fashion to what he does now but with plastic. I think he is using the plastic as part of the Sponsor Competition the PBA has been doing the past couple of seasons.
HS:763

#114531 - 01/20/10 01:34 AM Re: Sean Rash [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
General Pounder Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 38/M/Midlothian, IL
Sean Rash = the Chuck Knoblauch of bowling.

#114550 - 01/20/10 07:45 AM Re: Sean Rash [Re: beefers1]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:
they might be trusting to hit target more if they're thrusting it towards the target, instead of just dropping it at the line.

This is what I am talking about, he doesn't trust the ball to go straight so he is over throwing the ball at his spares. This causes all of the problems mentioned by Sk8 earlier about tightening up the grip and rearing up at the line and pulling the ball through.

There is a difference between throwing the ball with
confidence and the result is a 31 mph shot at a spare because that is just how fast it goes, and a forced shot at 31mph.

Confidence is the key, knowing where the ball is going before you throw it, because you practiced it to the point where it doesn't have a chance to miss, instead of winging the ball down the lane out of frustration, or fear of missing.

I'm not saying that if you practice to the point where you have this confidence that you will never miss, everyone makes bad shots and misses spares, all of the bowlers mentioned in this thread have missed spares on TV before, it is just part of the game.

Quote:
Sean Rash = the Chuck Knoblauch of bowling.

Watch out people in the front row.

Edited by CoachJim (01/20/10 07:46 AM)

#114551 - 01/20/10 07:47 AM Re: Sean Rash [Re: CoachJim]
spectral Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 24/M/Belgium
what is rashes rev rate anyway?

#114582 - 01/20/10 11:07 AM Re: Sean Rash [Re: spectral]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Mid to high 400s

That my boy... that's pro quality.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Brunswick sold
by BIGHMW - 23 minutes 51 seconds ago
Summer Leagues 2014 thread
by svengali - 38 minutes 18 seconds ago
Tournaments 2013-2014
by VFF57 - Today at 06:07 PM
Sign-up for Fall '14 V-league open (close 8/17)
by mmalsed - Today at 04:23 PM
No interest in PBA Experience Leagues
by VampyreBowler - Today at 01:55 PM
The Sinister Unfolds
by SteveH - 07/26/14 12:58 PM
2013-2014 Honor Scores
by BOSStull - 07/26/14 08:46 AM
Add Bowling Revs By Adding Lag
by BOSStull - 07/26/14 07:57 AM
Very Strange Ball Track Problem
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/14 02:05 PM
Resurfacing the Storm Byte
by djp1080 - 07/23/14 11:55 PM
Trying to understand this statement
by SteveH - 07/23/14 10:24 PM
Any rules on speed of play?
by SteveH - 07/22/14 04:17 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.