BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#113880 - 01/15/10 12:19 PM Ebonite Gyro ok as a spare ball?
DavefromHillsdale Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 50/Male/Michigan
Greetings,
I'm a new member and have just started bowling in a league this year. I have an Ebonite BigTime that I use regularly, but I also have a 15# Ebonite Gyro straight ball I bought oh, probably 10 or 15 years ago. As it is a straight ball, I have been using it as my "spare" ball. Does this make sense, or would I be better off with the plastic balls for shooting spares?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#113883 - 01/15/10 12:35 PM Re: Ebonite Gyro ok as a spare ball? [Re: DavefromHillsdale]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 56/M/Mn
Originally Posted By: DavefromHillsdale
Greetings,
I'm a new member and have just started bowling in a league this year. I have an Ebonite BigTime that I use regularly, but I also have a 15# Ebonite Gyro straight ball I bought oh, probably 10 or 15 years ago. As it is a straight ball, I have been using it as my "spare" ball. Does this make sense, or would I be better off with the plastic balls for shooting spares?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Oooh.... flashback! I have a Gyro I from about .... 30 years ago, and a Gyro 7 that's about 35+ years old?? Yikes, first of all, how the heck did 1980 get to be 30 years ago???!

OK, back to your question.... does your Gyro go nice and straight? If it does, then it's perfectly fine for a spare ball. If you find that it starts to hook up on you as you get better... you can find a plastic ball for cheap later. smile
Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#113884 - 01/15/10 12:36 PM Re: Ebonite Gyro ok as a spare ball? [Re: DavefromHillsdale]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 51/M/Virginia Beach, VA
If you're comfortable with it, and you can make spares with it, go right ahead. I'd shine it up if you haven't already.

Bowl up a Storm!

#113888 - 01/15/10 12:49 PM Re: Ebonite Gyro ok as a spare ball? [Re: trekguy]
Junior

Quote:
does your Gyro go nice and straight? If it does, then it's perfectly fine for a spare ball. If you find that it starts to hook up on you as you get better... you can find a plastic ball for cheap later.

Straight as an arrow. smile But I understand what you're saying, my hook is virtually non-existent at present, so I'll keep an eye on it.

And yeah, I took a lot of heat (good-natured ribbing actually) when I showed for league that first night with my "Fred Flinstone" balling ball!!!

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it!
Dave

#113890 - 01/15/10 12:58 PM Re: Ebonite Gyro ok as a spare ball? [Re: Fin09]
Junior

Quote:
I'd shine it up if you haven't already.

I soaked it in a tub of very hot water for 20 minutes on the advice of an experienced bowler on my team, and then cleaned it with some bb cleaner I purchased from my local bowling center. It doesn't actually shine as the ball has a matte finish, but it's clean anyway! smile

Thanks again,
Dave

#113891 - 01/15/10 01:15 PM Re: Ebonite Gyro ok as a spare ball? [Re: DavefromHillsdale]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 56/M/Mn
Originally Posted By: DavefromHillsdale
Quote:
does your Gyro go nice and straight? If it does, then it's perfectly fine for a spare ball. If you find that it starts to hook up on you as you get better... you can find a plastic ball for cheap later.

Straight as an arrow. smile But I understand what you're saying, my hook is virtually non-existent at present, so I'll keep an eye on it.

And yeah, I took a lot of heat (good-natured ribbing actually) when I showed for league that first night with my "Fred Flinstone" balling ball!!!

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it!
Dave

Hmm, now that I think about it, the older one was Mag 7... not a Gyro... hard, shiny rubber, big orange "e" on it. I should get that drilled up for a spare ball.

Welcome btw! smile There's a ton of info here. Ask away.

Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#113894 - 01/15/10 02:06 PM Re: Ebonite Gyro ok as a spare ball? [Re: DavefromHillsdale]
Lizard75 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 39/m/Oconomowoc, WI

I soaked it in a tub of very hot water for 20 minutes on the advice of an experienced bowler on my team, and then cleaned it with some bb cleaner I purchased from my local bowling center. It doesn't actually shine as the ball has a matte finish, but it's clean anyway! smile

Thanks again,
Dave[/quote]

When Fin09 said shine it up I think he meant take it to a Pro Shop and have them polish it in a ball spinner. If you just soak it and then use cleaner all you doing is removing the oil, it will then hook more, not less (if your going to use it as a spare ball). You could put it in a luster king, that will put a coat of wax on it, and should take most of the hook out of it.

High Game-300
High Series-721

15# Hammer Spike
15# Storm Polar Ice
15# Brunswick Copperhead
15# Dynothane AU-79
15# Columbia Freeze

#113895 - 01/15/10 02:20 PM Re: Ebonite Gyro ok as a spare ball? [Re: Lizard75]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Lizard's right, You want it to skid, not hook. Had the ball been reactive, the hot soak would have made it hook more. I like the Luster King idea.

You'll want to wipe off your Big Time after every shot and clean it weekly, to prevent oil buildup. You don't need to wipe off or clean your spare ball.

And also, welcome!

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#114130 - 01/17/10 09:45 AM Re: Ebonite Gyro ok as a spare ball? [Re: 10PinGaloot]
Junior

Quote:
You'll want to wipe off your Big Time after every shot and clean it weekly, to prevent oil buildup. You don't need to wipe off or clean your spare ball.

Ahhhh, ok. I never really bowled "seriously" before so all this stuff is new to me! But I'm really obsessed! smile Another of my teammates gave me a 14# Storm Special Agent that I had redrilled and will try that today. I do clean the BigTime (and will do so with the Storm) after each bowling session. But apparently I'm clueless with the spare ball! smile I'll drop that in the Lustre King when I'm up to Hillside Lanes today.

Thank you very much for all the good advice and for the warm welcome!

Dave

#114203 - 01/18/10 12:05 AM Re: Ebonite Gyro ok as a spare ball? [Re: DavefromHillsdale]
Charlie Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 61/Male/Baltimore;MD,USA
I'm brand new to these forums as well and Oh My Gosh! I happened to google the Ebonite Gyro out of curiosity and found this thread. My daughter's family came for a visit today and wanted to go bowling. After using WD-40 to get the zipper to work on my bag I pulled out my trusty Gyro I. First time in 18 years it has been out of the bag. I watched the uTube video and sure enough, that is my ball, complete with the Don Carter logo. I used the ball throughout the 70's in various league play and today was the third time since 1978 it has seen the light of day. After all these years I managed a 144 after I remembered how to throw the ball. The bowling bug has hit me and as soon as my hip heals (it is sooooo sore I can barely move) I plan on buying a new ball and start bowling on a regular basis. Question, can this ball be plugged and re-drilled as a finger tip ball? I don't even know a reputable Pro Shop in the area since it has been so long since I've been active in the sport. I can't wait to find another league to join.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by BowlerBill - Yesterday at 07:05 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.