BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#113838 - 01/15/10 02:37 AM New practice video
JBB817 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 21/M/NJ
So, last year at this time, I made 2 videos of myself practicing. Then I didn't have access to a camera anymore and sort of got sidetracked and forgot about taping myself. I finally managed to get videos from my phone onto my computer, so I made a video of my practice today. For comparison's sake there is a clip of me throwing a shot last year. I can't believe the difference between now and then, but I guess a year of bowling will do that.

That being said I can still see a lot of things to work on:
Armswing not free
Popping up at foul line
First step is WAY too far right
Balance at the foul line
etc.

So if anyone has advice on how to fix these things / finds more problems, please chime in.

15lb Cell Pearl
14lb Hy-Road
15lb Slingshot
14lb T-Zone

Virtual Gravity, Smash Zone, Freeze - Retired

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#113843 - 01/15/10 04:10 AM Re: New practice video [Re: JBB817]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
I only have one suggestion, but mostly comments. To get the swing plane straighter, maybe try pushing away more to the inside than you are now. But I'm not really sure you need to change it, as playing a swing shot and you're probably just pushing towards your target. I think you look a little better now, your trail leg doesn't go so far left which makes it look like you're in a pretty good finish position. Good or bad, I can't help but notice that to me it looks like your movement and the way you place the ball into the swing is similar to Sean Rash(up to the first step).

Good luck, and I'm sure some people here will be able to offer some tips.

#113859 - 01/15/10 08:03 AM Re: New practice video [Re: Jay R.]
spectral Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 24/M/Belgium
i think it looks pretty good. Maybe try and land the ball a bit smoother but apart from that it looks really nice.

i think your style has a bit of fagan in it

#113861 - 01/15/10 08:44 AM Re: New practice video [Re: spectral]
Vini Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/Al
yeah I would agree with Spectral about the landing.
If you accept my humble advice.

#113862 - 01/15/10 09:13 AM Re: New practice video [Re: Vini]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
The biggest thing I noticed is that you are pulling the ball up into the back swing. I can tell because each shot the swing is at a different height even though the balls starting point is the same. Watch the first shot of the new practice (not including old video clip) and watch the back swing. It gets very high and the swing seems very deliberate and controlled. Now on the second shot the ball floats up, you wait on the ball a little longer at the bottom of swing and instead of a 10 pin you end up with a flush shot.

Your game is improving quite rapidly, you look much better than a year ago. Just remember there is always ways to improve and based on what I can see I think your area that would help you improve is in allowing the back swing to swing, not be pulled.

Otherwise some great progress, keep it up!
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#113874 - 01/15/10 11:20 AM Re: New practice video [Re: JBB817]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Originally Posted By: JBB817

You mean way too far left, of course.

However, you always end up at the same place, so go with what works for you. On your first step, you're getting your upper body into position for the swing. If you were to change that first step, it would screw up the swing and you'd have a big learning curve.

I'm amazed that Sk8 found that backswing problem. Kudos, Sk8!

On both the backswing and the forward swing, the hand should be falling as the ball falls, so that you feel no pressure on the hand (positive or negative) at any point during the swing except the downward pull of that ball at the bottom of the backswing and and to a lesser extent as it goes back from there to the top of the backswing. If Sk8's right, then you might feel your hand pulling the ball prior to the bottom of the backswing, and if so, that's the point you want to work on. In your case, you might lose a little height, but will gain consistency.

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#113950 - 01/15/10 09:07 PM Re: New practice video [Re: 10PinGaloot]
JBB817 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 21/M/NJ
Thanks so much for your comments guys. They've been really helpful and I'm definitely going to work on relaxing my armswing which seems to be the big problem right now.

Originally Posted By: Amateur
To get the swing plane straighter, maybe try pushing away more to the inside than you are now. Good or bad, I can't help but notice that to me it looks like your movement and the way you place the ball into the swing is similar to Sean Rash(up to the first step).

Thanks Amateur, I'll try changing my push away to be a bit further inside to see if that gets my arm over my head instead of behind my back. Also, Rash is good, I think he has a great physical game, maybe not so much mental though. I never really realized until you pointed it out, but I can see the similarity.

Originally Posted By: spectral
i think it looks pretty good. Maybe try and land the ball a bit smoother but apart from that it looks really nice.

i think your style has a bit of fagan in it

Originally Posted By: Vini
yeah I would agree with Spectral about the landing.
If you accept my humble advice.

Spectral and Vini, I do still have a problem with grabbing the ball at the bottom of the swing so that sort of messes with my release. As you can see, some of my shots the ball gets lofted a bit out, and some it drops right down into the ground. Projecting the ball out onto the lane instead of into it is something I need to work on, thanks for picking that out! Now my real goal would be to be as smooth and free as Fagan, haha.

Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01
The biggest thing I noticed is that you are pulling the ball up into the back swing. I can tell because each shot the swing is at a different height even though the balls starting point is the same.

Your game is improving quite rapidly, you look much better than a year ago. Just remember there is always ways to improve and based on what I can see I think your area that would help you improve is in allowing the back swing to swing, not be pulled.

Otherwise some great progress, keep it up!

Thanks for the compliment Sk8, I've been bowling a lot this year at school. Mostly it was for fun, and I picked up a lot of bad habits along the way when I wasn't focusing. So my bowling New Year's resolution is to focus on actually practicing when I go out to practice, instead of just shooting some open games and gaining nothing out of it. I also can tell that I still muscle my armswing, and definitely am going to work on freeing it up. I always can tell when I didn't pull the ball up/down at the top because I have a heart attack that the ball will drop straight down onto my head, haha.

Originally Posted By: SpareMe
Originally Posted By: JBB817

You mean way too far left, of course.

On both the backswing and the forward swing, the hand should be falling as the ball falls, so that you feel no pressure on the hand (positive or negative) at any point during the swing...

In your case, you might lose a little height, but will gain consistency.

Yeah, woops. It was late when I posted so I wasn't thinking straight. I just always hear about "walking the tightrope" and I sort of walk something more like a giant squiggle... I agree that I need to work on my armswing and free it up some more. I can really tell when I've completely muscled a shot and when I've been closer to a free swing. I just need to keep working towards relaxing my arm.

15lb Cell Pearl
14lb Hy-Road
15lb Slingshot
14lb T-Zone

Virtual Gravity, Smash Zone, Freeze - Retired

#113954 - 01/15/10 09:28 PM Re: New practice video [Re: JBB817]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
Im In no position to give much advise just wanted to comment on what others have said and that is you definitely have grown a lot keep up the good work! These guys will definitely help you on your way.
Mutant Cell

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 08/22/19 03:14 PM
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 08/15/19 08:37 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Dennis Michael - 08/13/19 07:06 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 08/10/19 10:03 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.