BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#113729 - 01/14/10 04:56 PM Newly Returned Bowler
HouTex_Paul Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 36/M/Houston, TX
I recently returned to bowling a league with an old bowling buddy who needed a spot in his league. I returned with nothing, so he was generous enough to give me one of his balls, an Ultimate Inferno. I ended up getting this ball re-drilled to fit my span, which was just a little shorter than my friend's.

I would estimate I hadn't bowled competitively in at least 10 years, but I was a former league bowler, so I have some transferable skills.

After a few weeks, I have established a 160 average or so, but I have noticed several problems. My bicep is constantly sore after a night of league bowling and the base of my thumb is terribly tender. I have read some things that I might be pinching the ball.

The other problem I seem to have is the speed of my shot and keeping the ball right of the pocket. After a round of 7 practice games this past weekend, I would say my average speed is around 11.7 mph. To try and cut down the drastic reaction, I went and polished my ball up today, so we'll see how it goes.

I would appreciate any advice on the problems I am having.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#113732 - 01/14/10 05:05 PM Re: Newly Returned Bowler [Re: HouTex_Paul]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
First welcome to the site Paul. As you may have noticed there is a wealth of knowledge on this site and it's full of very encouraging people who all love this sport, or at times love to hate it.

If you are experiencing a sore bicep after bowling, you are muscling the ball and trying to make it hook too much. This in turn can slow the ball speed down. Just let the ball swing and keep a firm wrist. You don't need a lot of motion to get a ball to hook. As for the thumb it could be a number of things, like you said it could be you are pinching the ball.

Also don't be surprised if the reaction of the Ultimate Inferno becomes more drastic with polish. Some polishes allow a ball to go further down lane but react violently when then exit the oil and hit the dry backends. Good luck the next time out though.
HS:763

#113734 - 01/14/10 05:11 PM Re: Newly Returned Bowler [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
HouTex_Paul Offline
Bumper Bowler

Thanks, Calvin.

I used the local Lustre King 300 and gave it a full 10 cycles. The ball came out with a lot of extra gunk on it, but I would say after rolling it for 1 game, it seemed to take some of the early break out of it.

I tried working on the firm wrist during that game, so I will take some extra conscious efforts in league tonight. Hopefully I won't have any dropped ball mishaps!

#113737 - 01/14/10 05:14 PM Re: Newly Returned Bowler [Re: HouTex_Paul]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Go to the Pro Shop and try to get them to sand the ball down and then polish it. Never use the Lustre King, it is not made for modern bowling balls but old plastic and the older urethane equipment. It's not polish but a wax. On top of it most are not maintained and can damage the ball.
HS:763

#113738 - 01/14/10 05:21 PM Re: Newly Returned Bowler [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
HouTex_Paul Offline
Bumper Bowler

Actually, when I had it re-fit, the Pro Shop guy told me he was going to do that, but after it was drilled he wanted me to bowl with it as it was. /shrug.

#113740 - 01/14/10 05:25 PM Re: Newly Returned Bowler [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Lizard75 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 39/m/Oconomowoc, WI
After using a Lustre King you probably took all of the hook out of it. you'll probably have to go to a Pro Shop and have it stripped and repolished. Even after all of that, it may just be too strong of a ball if you're only throwing 11-12 mph. I would go to your local Pro Shop and have them watch you throw a couple frames, they will then be able to recommend a ball more suited to your throwing style

High Game-300
High Series-721

15# Hammer Spike
15# Storm Polar Ice
15# Brunswick Copperhead
15# Dynothane AU-79
15# Columbia Freeze

#113743 - 01/14/10 05:35 PM Re: Newly Returned Bowler [Re: Lizard75]
HouTex_Paul Offline
Bumper Bowler

Well, I would be okay with that. As it is, I am a substitute on the team, since the spot was filled by someone else and I am just doing him a favor.

No need to spend a bunch of dough on a part time position.

I appreciate the advice, mostly I just want to stop my thumb and bicep from hurting.

#113746 - 01/14/10 05:51 PM Re: Newly Returned Bowler [Re: HouTex_Paul]
Lizard75 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 39/m/Oconomowoc, WI
The other guys are right if your bicep hurts it's most likely your muscling the ball to get revs. As for your thumb it sounds like your thumb hole isn't beveled enough or at all and the sharp edge is cutting into your thumb.

High Game-300
High Series-721

15# Hammer Spike
15# Storm Polar Ice
15# Brunswick Copperhead
15# Dynothane AU-79
15# Columbia Freeze

#113763 - 01/14/10 07:23 PM Re: Newly Returned Bowler [Re: Lizard75]
Fpurhe Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 20/M
It all depends if you want to continue to bowl. If your just gonna stop after this is over then getting a new ball isn't really worth it. If you do plan to continue, then get something more tame.

As far as the thumb. You can use easy slide like I do. I also put some tape when it gets too loose. I am a firm believer in haveing a good fit in your thumb hole.

#113873 - 01/15/10 11:12 AM Re: Newly Returned Bowler [Re: Fpurhe]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I agree with the thought that both your bicep and thumb pad are hurting from gripping the ball. The ball should hold onto your hand (like a glove) not the other way around. You don't think about keeping a glove on your hand and the same should be said about a bowling ball.

If you don't mind, when you say the ball over hooks, where are you standing? What are you looking at?

Do you target the arrows, the pins, or something else?

Do you know how to count boards? If not here is a quick and easy lesson:

Each board on the approach/lane has a board number. These boards are numbered from lowest to highest starting against the gutter on the ball side. For a right handed bowler, the board up against the right gutter would be 1, next would be 2 and so forth. The arrows fall on 5 board increments, the first being on board 5, second on 10 and the middle arrow is the 20 board. The dots on the approach coordinate with the arrows. The center dot is on the 20 board.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - Yesterday at 06:08 AM
For the good of the sport?
by BOSStull - 06/16/18 06:39 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 06/10/18 05:29 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 05/27/18 05:03 PM
no one on for 5 days
by 82Boat69 - 05/23/18 04:38 PM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.