BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#107296 - 11/10/09 09:33 AM Stupid Rule
mikhial66 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 20/M/FL
I just wanted to know what you guys think of this.

High School States is going on this week here in Florida. Yesterday all of the schools were at the lanes practicing and there was the coach's meeting. Talking to the coach of my old high school, he mentioned some of the rules- including a rule saying only one bowler can be standing at a time. I personally couldn't get over this. How can a team help out a bowler if everyone can't see the ball reaction? What makes it worse is that it's a new Brunswick house, so they have the tables which only fit 4 people. How can you even be a team if you have to split up? How can you get any energy sitting down like this? The only reason why they are doing this, that I can see, is for the parents. Honestly, I don't care if the parents see a single ball. Those kids aren't there for their parents. They're there to bowl; to be a team.
Python
Midnight Vibe
T-Zone (Spare)
Copperhead(THS Ball)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#107302 - 11/10/09 11:05 AM Re: Stupid Rule [Re: mikhial66]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I agree with you its probably for the parents so they can see. But its also probably for the coaches. Perhaps, some words have been exchanged in the past by the teams as they all stand up by the approach.

And you are right, its going to be hard to stimulate much comradrie. Maybe a compromised can be reached. Probably not during the first day of competition though. Maybe if the bowlers agreed to stay in the back of the sette area that would give the parents and coaches enough viewing area. As long as the bowlers don't go past the autoscorer or something like that.

Erin

#107660 - 11/13/09 06:30 PM Re: Stupid Rule [Re: Atochabsh]
mikhial66 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 20/M/FL
Coaches should be in front of the bowlers. The ones who don't know what they're doing sit in the back and don't see a thing.

What you said is pretty much what happened. In qualifying (most of the first day), almost all of the teams were sitting around tables. There were a few teams though that were all standing up. I didn't hear any complaints, though (I doubt the parents even knew of the rule). Once match play started, no one was sitting. As far as I know, though, the rule wasn't enforced.
Python
Midnight Vibe
T-Zone (Spare)
Copperhead(THS Ball)

#112117 - 01/03/10 07:06 PM Re: Stupid Rule [Re: mikhial66]
RDubYa Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Florida
I've never heard of such a rule or seen it in any tournaments I have attended. It sounds like this may have been a "preference" stated by some tournament official or coach. The fact that it wasn't enforced makes me believe that it wasn't a "rule".

#113031 - 01/10/10 12:09 PM Re: Stupid Rule [Re: RDubYa]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
We just experienced this in Jordan's travel league, Not actually a rule but parents were telling bowlers who weren't bowling to sit down so they could see.

I dont think they understand that bowlers with similar styles like to read how other bowlers equipment is reacting to see if the oils is breaking down etc. Also helps them give tips if a teammate is struggling.

We have been to a few house's where the spectator area was elevated and that was really nice.
Mutant Cell

#113035 - 01/10/10 01:12 PM Re: Stupid Rule [Re: Rocket]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Unless you are bowling in the National Bowling Stadium or you have stadium style seating set up it's going to be hard for spectators to see if bowlers are standing up.
HS:763

#113049 - 01/10/10 02:54 PM Re: Stupid Rule [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I used to get this a lot when I coached the youth league, one of the many reasons I don't coach the youth league any more.

#113072 - 01/10/10 05:51 PM Re: Stupid Rule [Re: CoachJim]
Fpurhe Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 20/M
In Indiana the teams stand at the lanes in High School. My parents complain. Other parents complain. I love it. I like to stand and watch them bowl and watch what others are doing and try to help some of the newer ones. It also helps build momentum. An example of this is we can be doing horrible and one of us strikes and then we catch fire. I would be REALLY MAD if they changed that.

Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by Dennis Michael - Today at 03:59 PM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Today at 01:06 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.