BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#112721 - 01/07/10 11:34 PM Resurface, or buy a new ball?
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 56/M/Mn
I've had the Playmaker for about a year, 200 games or so, and it's just not doing it anymore. I've heard and read about reactive balls going dead, but wondered if it was a real thing, or just a sale's pitch to sell balls. I believe it now. My plan was to do a resurface, I've already purchased some Abralon pads, and am looking at a spinner, but before I take that step, I would like some opinions on resurfacing from those who have done it. Does it react like it should? How long will it last? I've read that with each time you resurface, you get less games with the result. ?? If I can double the life of the ball while maintaining effective reaction, I think that would justify resurfacing. If I can't extend the lifespan by at least 100%, or if the reaction isn't there, I think a new ball would make more sense.

Another question regarding coverstock... if I understand correctly, an OOB coverstock is a textured finish, with raised bits... peaks and valleys, as I read somewhere. Now, when you resurface, abrasive pads are used. You can't create a raised bit with an abrasive pad. You can make cuts in the material, which relatively would create some sort of high/low texture on the surface... does that really work to make it do what it is supposed to??

Random note: A conversation with a guy... he said that polished balls should never need resurfacing... that the polish protects the "raised bits", and that cleaning and re-polishing should be enough. ????? That didn't make sense to me... confused.

Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#112730 - 01/08/10 01:33 AM Re: Resurface, or buy a new ball? [Re: trekguy]
JackZ Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 59/M/Cleveland, Ohio
I've seen polished balls go dead too.

Better swing, more accuracy, and more spares.
A 200 avg. before summer.

#112733 - 01/08/10 02:40 AM Re: Resurface, or buy a new ball? [Re: JackZ]
ecub Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 44/m/usa (IL)
Polished balls will need resurfacing too. I used to have a Hammer Razyr, which is @4000 grit polished. I have my own ball spinner and usually polish the Razyr. My friend has a Storm Virtual Energy, which is also polished and he usually has me resurface his ball after about 20 games or so or when it starts to die.
Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver 15# (@4000)
Storm Natural Pearl 15# (@4000)

PAP: 5 3/4 right 1/4 up
Ball Speed: Mid 15-16 (Power Tweener)

THS: 207
HGS: 279
HSS: 734

#112734 - 01/08/10 03:02 AM Re: Resurface, or buy a new ball? [Re: ecub]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
OOB is factory finish. The more coarse the grit is, the more surface/texture there is. Don't know anything about raised bits. Peaks and valleys, yes, with more surface. You smooth them out with finer grits.

There's a huge possibility that after resurfacing, the ball won't react the same. But you don't have to resurface a ball so often unless you bowl on old wood or some other surface that scratches the heck out of your ball. What is most likely key to maintaining your ball's reaction is refreshing the surface evey so often, you don't have to resurface to do that. Just take the back back down to a lower grit and back up to your desired finish. And clean the ball after every set. Considering you haven't taken care of this ball, it may or may not be too late to bring it back, but you wouldn't know unless you try.

#112741 - 01/08/10 07:07 AM Re: Resurface, or buy a new ball? [Re: Jay R.]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I'd suggest getting the oil off the surface first. Your ball may seem totally smooth. But, if you look very closely, it has small indentations and grooves. This increases the surface area of the ball to work through oil. These indentations, with use, clog with oil and no longer allow the ball to react as it should.

Do a rough sanding first. Then either do a hot water bath or heat treatment to get the oil out. Once that has been done, then you can resurface the ball to OOB.

I've done this on a few balls. What I have found is that the ball comes back to original performance, but it just didn't last as long as the first time. Each resurface came quicker and quicker in the ball life.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#112745 - 01/08/10 08:20 AM Re: Resurface, or buy a new ball? [Re: Dennis Michael]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
I would do the same thing Dennis suggests first.
I have done this to my balls with very good success. The ball will once again react as it once did, but you will need to do regular routine maintenance on the ball to extend its life. Eventually they will roll out, but extracting the oil and resurfacing is much cheaper than buying a new ball every couple hundred games.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#112766 - 01/08/10 01:42 PM Re: Resurface, or buy a new ball? [Re: Dennis Michael]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
I'd suggest getting the oil off the surface first. Your ball may seem totally smooth. But, if you look very closely, it has small indentations and grooves. This increases the surface area of the ball to work through oil. These indentations, with use, clog with oil and no longer allow the ball to react as it should.

Do a rough sanding first. Then either do a hot water bath or heat treatment to get the oil out. Once that has been done, then you can resurface the ball to OOB.

I've done this on a few balls. What I have found is that the ball comes back to original performance, but it just didn't last as long as the first time. Each resurface came quicker and quicker in the ball life.

I should say that I have spray/wiped it after each use, and have extracted the oil out of it 4 or 5 times. I put it in my oven at 140 degrees and just keep wiping it off as long as oil keeps coming out. Then, I wash it with hot water and a little Dawn dish soap.

So, about how many games can I expect after resurfacing?? The center I bowl at has the Brunswick Anvilanes, and are fairly slick on league night. I would say that I have a bit more than average revs.

I'm leaning towards getting the spinner... that way, even if I do get another ball, or two, I can still keep them all in usable condition.
Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#112768 - 01/08/10 02:09 PM Re: Resurface, or buy a new ball? [Re: trekguy]
Leopard11 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 35/M/MD/USA
I have heard ovens can crack a ball. Me personally I have a big steamer pot.. typically used to steam crabs/shrimp other shellfish. Its got a raised grate you put on the bottom and its about 4 inches high or so. I fill the steam pot with about 2-3 inches of steaming hot water from the faucet, not sure what temp it is but its scolding, I would guess its around 130 degrees. I put the ball face up on the grate so its above the water line, put the cover on and put a towell over the cover. Give it about 10-15 mins take the ball out and wipes it down with a dry absorbant towell until ive got the whole ball dry. Drain water, refill it again and repeat with ball face down. This has worked very well in drawing the oil out for me. I would say temp inside the steamer is about 115 degrees so plenty of heat that is not direct heat so it been very safe for me.

16lb Columbia Reaction Roll
15lb 900 Global Creature s40
14lb Brunswick Fury Pearl

#112773 - 01/08/10 02:21 PM Re: Resurface, or buy a new ball? [Re: Leopard11]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

I'm very careful with the oven. I preheat it to 130-140, then when I put the ball in, I turn the temp way down so it won't call for heat and start up the element. When I take it out to wipes it, I turn it up again for a minute or two, then back down. This way, the element is never heating when the ball is in there. I think what happens to some is that they may have the oven set to a fairly low temp, but forget that when they open the door and let some heat out, it will then energize the heating element... even if it is only to heat it up to 150 or so... when that element is glowing, it's way too hot for the ball .. even for that short time.
Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#112817 - 01/08/10 06:28 PM Re: Resurface, or buy a new ball? [Re: trekguy]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

Anybody here snag the Innovative ball spinner on Ebay today??
Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by BowlerBill - 7 minutes 57 seconds ago
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.