BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#106021 - 10/23/09 09:21 PM Getting ball drilled for 3 fingers and thumb
JayhawksFan Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 17/M/kansas city
My dad last year had his ball drilled with an extra hole for his pinky finger due to a problem with a nerve in his hand. Since he has done this his average has gone up about 30 pins. He has been telling me that he wishes he would have done this years before because he claims it helps him through a much more consistent shot. I am thinking about getting a ball drilled this way just to try it out. Has anyone ever heard of a ball being drilled this way? and if so how has it worked out for them? Thanks

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#106023 - 10/23/09 09:49 PM Re: Getting ball drilled for 3 fingers and thumb [Re: JayhawksFan]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
A lot of older folks have a third and sometimes forth finger holes drilled so that their arthritic hands can better hold onto the ball.

Erin

#106026 - 10/23/09 11:10 PM Re: Getting ball drilled for 3 fingers and thumb [Re: Atochabsh]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Ah, it's time again for the "Art, Sr." story.

I have bought 7 or 8 balls at the local thrift shop. Good ones, too. One day I came upon an old black urethane. It belonged to "Art Sr." according to its engraving. There was a third hole for the pinkie. The ball fit my hand perfectly, so I didn't have anything done to it.

First time I threw the ball, it rolled off my hand, making a beautiful shot. Second time I threw it, same thing. Of course, being an old urethane, it didn't hook at all. But I adopted that style of release to my other balls and had all of them drilled for a pinkie hole.

Now I use the pinkie hole on each of my releases, not because I'm arthritic or disabled but because it allows me to (shhh! don't tell Coach!) muscle the shot better. I can cup the ball, hit up on it, crank it, etc etc without hurting myself.

I gave Art Sr. to another bowler who needed it for dry lanes. He was able to shoot high scores with it.

My spare ball is not 3-fingered, because I don't apply any finger pressure on my spare shots. The ball doesn't even turn until it gets off the oil. Goes straight as an arrow.

Now, if somebody wants to post saying I could bowl better using 2 fingers, go ahead, but my response would be this - is this a game or a contest? To me, it's a game, and this is how I play.

Later!

PS - and remember, just because the hole is there doesn't mean you have to use it. As long as you don't have a balance hole, you can choose to use or not to use the pinkie hole on any shot.

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#106027 - 10/23/09 11:26 PM Re: Getting ball drilled for 3 fingers and thumb [Re: 10PinGaloot]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

Note that a pinkie hole forces you to use your pinkie at a certain position.

Many bolwers control their shot by moving the pinkie in or out (closer to the ring finger or farther away from it. The pinkie hole doesn't allow this.

If you were to use a coach (like Atochabsh, for instance), s/he would probably say you don't need it and would want you to learn to bowl without it.

Also, forgot to mention that the other bowler redrilled the black urethane (I think it was called a Sumo), and didn't use a pinkie hole.

#106028 - 10/23/09 11:30 PM Re: Getting ball drilled for 3 fingers and thumb [Re: 10PinGaloot]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

Geez, this is my favorite post. One more thing, very important. The placement of the pinkie hole will be critical.

Curl your hand and turn it palm towards your face, and look at your fingers. You will want the finger holes to align much like your fingers do.

Note that the addition of the pinkie hole will stretch your hand a little, affecting your "perfect" span. It shortens my "perfect" span by 1/8 inch (not a reference to my recent post re shortening my span - totally unrelated...).

#106031 - 10/24/09 12:11 AM Re: Getting ball drilled for 3 fingers and thumb [Re: 10PinGaloot]
JayhawksFan Offline
Junior

Thanks SpareMe, i'm glad to know i'm not the only person out there trying this out. I'll make sure to mention what you said about hand placement to the ball driller at my Pro Shop, although i'm sure he should have no problem with this as he as drilled several balls for my dad and has been in the business for 50+ years. Hopefully I will get my Storm Trifecta re-drilled tomorrow and i'll let you know how it works out for me. Thanks for the info!!

#106035 - 10/24/09 01:29 AM Re: Getting ball drilled for 3 fingers and thumb [Re: JayhawksFan]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Its just not all that uncommon that's all. I see a lot of balls and we drill a lot of balls for more then two finger holes. Bowlers that do so are up till now senior bowlers or those with a physical issue that demands an extra hole. We even have drilled balls for a wheelchair bowler that the thumbhole is long and kind of a rounded rectangle. Its suits his needs. And that's what it all comes down to.

If you want to try a pinkie hole fine. But most younger bowlers that latch onto ideas like this are looking for a silver bullet. But try it. These days anything goes. No thumb, two hands etc.....doesn't matter how you release the ball as long as you are happy with the results.

Erin

#106044 - 10/24/09 08:49 AM Re: Getting ball drilled for 3 fingers and thumb [Re: Atochabsh]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

I need to correct a few mis-statements:

I said "muscle the shot", and by that I meant the release, not the swing. Now that my spare ball has the proper span, I find I can swing like Mike Fagan (in a "Walter Mitty" sort of way) for my spare shots, and hit the arrow consistently. I want to get that same sort of free-swinging motion into my strike shots.

Fagan is so relaxed! A free swing worth emulating.

Finally, I said "without hurting myself". That was inaccurate. The pinkie hole reduces the stress on my finger tendons due to the strain of cupping. It doesn't keep the wrist from flipping back during the release or prevent my arm tendons from screaming at the abuse. I wear little stretch bands on wrist and elbow to keep them happy. That allows me to cup on a fast shot. My old tendons don't like to learn new tricks....

Finally, sorry, Atochbsh, I didn't mean to single you out, I really meant coaches in general.... I just assumed a coach would rather that a newbie bowler not use the pinkie hole if it wasn't necessary.

#106057 - 10/24/09 11:01 AM Re: Getting ball drilled for 3 fingers and thumb [Re: 10PinGaloot]
JayhawksFan Offline
Junior

The main reason why I want to get my ball drilled this way is just experimenting with it. Most likely I will stick with the two fingered ball as I have been bowling very well with it all year. I was just kinda curious what would happen if I tried this.

#112780 - 01/08/10 02:39 PM Re: Getting ball drilled for 3 fingers and thumb [Re: JayhawksFan]
leftyjay Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 50/male/SW, Florida
i've been using a 3 finger ball since the late 80s. only thing is, i use my index finger. i was having a tennis elbow issue and nothing seemed to work. i changed my span, pitch, weight, etc. ended up giving up bowling for a few years. then i got back into bowling and got the tennis elbow back.

i was watching the ladies on the lpba TV show and saw Dana Miller Mackie talking about how she was using a 3 finger ball to help her arm from hurting. i took a ball to the Pro Shop and got my index finger drilled into a ball. went out and threw a few games. didn't effect my roll and felt very comfy. within a few weeks, my tennis elbow went away, and i've been bowling like that ever since. infact, i think i'm more precise with the extra finger in the ball. my axis is the same on every shot. and yes, i can flatten the ball out when needed. i've been a steady 220+ league bowler since i changed to 3 fingers. and yes, i use a 16 lb ball with no problems.

Edited by leftyjay (01/08/10 02:40 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by BowlerBill - 7 minutes 57 seconds ago
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.