BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#112224 - 01/04/10 06:26 PM help with anger ! ,,, the evil 6 pin and the hook
wes909 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 21-m-al
hey just got back from bowloing and im a mix of mad and happy!

i bowled a 114 today not good

but i bowled 8 shots that left ony the 6 pin ! i cant get that [email protected]@@@@@@@@ to go down and i cant pick it up either. is there any thing that will help me pick it up .or know it down on my first bowl

also on the hook i am just using a house ball and i dont use my thump is that bad? cuz i cant get the hook when i use my thumb

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#112225 - 01/04/10 06:44 PM Re: help with anger ! ,,, the evil 6 pin and the hook [Re: wes909]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Bowling thumbless is usually looked down on since it's takes a lot more work to try to be consistent with it. The main reason you are not getting any hook with the thumb in is house balls aren't meant to hook and are drilled at a conventional span which makes it hard to even hook reactive balls. You really need to get a reactive ball drilled with a fingertip span in order to hook a ball with the thumb in.

As for leaving the 6 pin, are you right handed or left handed? That will have a major bearing on the advice needed to either knock it down the first time or to try to pick it up. Also what do you do to try to pick it up?
HS:763

#112226 - 01/04/10 06:46 PM Re: help with anger ! ,,, the evil 6 pin and the hook [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
wes909 Offline
Bumper Bowler

i bowl with my right. i tryed all kinds of things straight shots and countering my boards by moving to the left

#112228 - 01/04/10 06:59 PM Re: help with anger ! ,,, the evil 6 pin and the hook [Re: wes909]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Well if you are leaving the 6 pin you aren't even hitting the 1-3 pocket. You need to move left on the approach and with your target, but still aim for the 5 board or so as a break point down the lane. This is one of many problems with thumbless bowling, it's very difficult to adjust the ball reaction with hand/finger positions or be able to add speed.

To pick up the spare you would have to either move way left and try to keep the ball in the center oil as long as you can and hope to get the ball out near the gutter around 50 feet down lane and it doesn't hook back too much or go in the gutter. The other way is to put your thumb in the ball stand in between the first and second dot from center, and try throwing the ball straight, over the third arrow but angled toward the pin.
HS:763

#112234 - 01/04/10 08:14 PM Re: help with anger ! ,,, the evil 6 pin and the hook [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
I think bowling thumbless looks really cool, but I've noticed the same thing as Calvin. It just leaves minimal room for adjusting to either corner pins or lane conditions.

I look at it (no offense...) as a stage young bowlers go through on their way to better things. Eventually, I think you will leave this behind and begin the happy journey to proficiency with a well-drilled reactive.

But as long as you're doing it, have fun! And Calvin has given the best advice.

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#112238 - 01/04/10 08:46 PM Re: help with anger ! ,,, the evil 6 pin and the hook [Re: 10PinGaloot]
wes909 Offline
Bumper Bowler

but still aim for the 5 board or so as a break point down the lane. This is one of many problems with thumbless bowling, it's very difficult to adjust the ball reaction with hand/finger positions or be able to add speed.

...... wich is the 5 board can you give me a diagram thanks

#112240 - 01/04/10 08:57 PM Re: help with anger ! ,,, the evil 6 pin and the hook [Re: wes909]
beefers1 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 24/M/British Columbia
A bowling lane has 39 boards. They're the strips going from left to right on a lane. 5 board means counting 5 of those strips from the right.

#112245 - 01/04/10 09:23 PM Re: help with anger ! ,,, the evil 6 pin and the h [Re: beefers1]
Fpurhe Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 20/M
the arrows are also located on every 5th board i believe

here is a good diagram: www.bowlinginphoenix.com/images/lane_diagram.gif

BUT here comes my 2 cents

a post a while ago..... by the top poster Atochabsh (erin i think?)

Quote:
My question is is it possible to be very good and consistent bowling without putting your thumb in the hole?

It is possible but not probable.

We have a lot of young male bowlers in the age range of 21 to about 30 that do so. But only one is really any good. And he averages over 230. But he also has cashed many times (and high) in National tournaments and scratch tournaments and involved in high level scratch leagues. He is an anomyly. He is also young. And even being under 30, he has physical issues with his wrist, arm and elbow from bowling. Already. So there's no telling how much longer he will be able to bowl at that level.

Most thumbless bowlers I see are great for the first game when there is fresh oil. When the lane transitions they are lost. And because of the huge hook and revolutions they generate they can no longer control them. The same happens to thumb-in bowlers, but I think its exaggerated when you do not use your thumb. Most depend on luck and pins spinning and flying to take out other pins on very poor hits. This is fine but does lead to extremes in score. Because they are not scoring based on skill, but rather based on luck.

The main point is
A. likely you wont be good
B. If you are you wont be for long
C. highly HIGHLY HIGHLY(you get the point? =] ) difficult to make changes

i would suggest a DRUM ROLL PLEASE.................

SCOUT REACTIVE!!!!!!!!! BY COLUMBIA 300 FINGERTIP DRILLED

the pros of this ball: excellent ball for a beginner

cons:you will hit a score ceiling but thats no big deal

now that i have you trapped in this post i will continue to the point

if you picked up the 6 pin every time you could have increased your score by maybe 30-50 pins

SPARES MAKE GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now here is the best advice that will get you bowling like a pro in 1 step

step one follow my #1 rule the GAC rule Get A Coach

i wish you luck

#112282 - 01/05/10 12:26 AM Re: help with anger ! ,,, the evil 6 pin and the h [Re: Fpurhe]
wes909 Offline
Bumper Bowler

thanks for all the advice i really appreciate it . i will get me a reactive ball and custom drill. i will also immediately start using my thumb and try to instill all of your advice. i love being competitive and will do anything to get better at it thanks, and god bless

(i would use my grandpaw for a coach but sadly he has passed on but ill find one!)

Edited by wes909 (01/05/10 12:29 AM)

#112284 - 01/05/10 12:36 AM Re: help with anger ! ,,, the evil 6 pin and the h [Re: wes909]
MikeHL Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 34/M/da U.P. of Michigan, eh
Calvin was right about not hitting the 1-3 pocket if the 6 pin is still up. That's my problem right now too. I come CLOSE to hitting it a lot, but I seldom actually get the ball in between those pins. I'm very, very frequently hitting the headpin too sharply through the center (too high). However, I've just been given my first reactive ball, so once I can get it drilled, we'll see how it goes working on that.

NN was dead on about spares making games, too. My spare shooting is completely wackadoo right now. Spare shooting is more mental than physical. I put tremendous pressure on myself to cover every spare and get down on myself easily when I inevitably come up short of that.
-- Mika Koivuniemi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
I'll try again
by BOSStull - 45 minutes 18 seconds ago
what will become of AMF
by BOSStull - Today at 09:41 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - Yesterday at 04:31 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 06/17/18 06:08 AM
For the good of the sport?
by BOSStull - 06/16/18 06:39 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 05/27/18 05:03 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.