BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#112235 - 01/04/10 08:21 PM **Pinkie Woes... Wearing down my tip!!
Vic44 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 51/ Male/ Colorado Springs CO
Happy Monday.
Question for the board. I have been improving my average a bit this year... but wearing down my pinkie in the process. I have been battling a bit of a callous all year... and now the innertip of the fingernail is wearing away. Today the tip is a bit sore and worn after 4 practice games Saturday and 6 league games Sunday.. My estimate is that I am applying too much pressure with my pinkie on the ball during the moment of release. Is this OK and something I should just deal with? I am concerned tucking it in will make it worse since it is on the tip.

Any advice, thoughts, experiences would be much appreciated!
Cheers!!

Vic.

Career HG: 300 (3)
Career HS: 772
Career High Avg(09-10) 217.
15-16 Avg: 189

Last year? Not pretty. No high scores worth posting from 15-16. But good times ahead. smile

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#112258 - 01/04/10 10:27 PM Re: **Pinkie Woes... Wearing down my tip!! [Re: Vic44]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
Sounds like you are squeezing the heck out of the ball. It isn't going to run away from you. Nice and easy.

You can do with I have seen some Pros do and put a piece of tape on there. It may help.

#112327 - 01/05/10 10:31 AM Re: **Pinkie Woes... Wearing down my tip!! [Re: General Pounder]
Vic44 Offline
Virtual League Champion

Haha... you are probably correct General. I will try the tape on the damaged pinkie, and check to see if I am squeezing. It is odd that the callous is located on the tip... I am also going to verify that I am not somehow inadvertantly tucking my pinkie in.

Take care.. thanks.

Last year? Not pretty. No high scores worth posting from 15-16. But good times ahead. smile

#112330 - 01/05/10 10:54 AM Re: **Pinkie Woes... Wearing down my tip!! [Re: Vic44]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Can't help on this one. I put my pinkie in the hole.
thumbsup

All my balls are drilled identically with 3 finger holes.
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#112332 - 01/05/10 11:10 AM Re: **Pinkie Woes... Wearing down my tip!! [Re: 10PinGaloot]
Vic44 Offline
Virtual League Champion

Hehheh. How does that work for you Spare? Does the extra hole help with control? Spin?

#112337 - 01/05/10 11:33 AM Re: **Pinkie Woes... Wearing down my tip!! [Re: Vic44]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
I think it might limit me a little, but it helped me to learn a good stroker shot, and the pinkie takes some of the load off my other two fingers.

My spare ball has only two finger holes since I don't rotate my wrist on spares.
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#112368 - 01/05/10 01:11 PM Re: **Pinkie Woes... Wearing down my tip!! [Re: Vic44]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
The pinkie hole kind of limits the amount of rotation you can put on the ball. Usually most bowlers that go to a pinkie hole have wrist issues like Bob Learn, Jr. has in the past 10 years or so,and use it to take some strain off of the wrist. Like I said it limits ball reaction but the trade off is often an extended bowling career.

Originally Posted By: Vic44
Haha... you are probably correct General. I will try the tape on the damaged pinkie, and check to see if I am squeezing. It is odd that the callous is located on the tip... I am also going to verify that I am not somehow inadvertantly tucking my pinkie in.

Take care.. thanks.

I have a callous on the ring finger side of my finger near the tip. It is where the ball most often makes contact with the pinkie and the friction associated with releasing the ball has caused it. I don't have any pain or anything from it though and it isn't up near the nail either. I think you might be have the pinkie a little too far stretched out or maybe the pinkie is tucked in ever so slightly.
HS:763

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 09:16 PM
Bowled a few games at South Point in Las Vegas
by goobee - 09/03/20 04:38 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.