BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#112260 - 01/04/10 10:38 PM Re: Intro to League Bowling [Re: HughScot]
Kilgore Trout Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: San Diego
Originally Posted By: hughscot
If I was running the USBC I would come out with a brochure explaining league bowling.

I've seen some bowling center websites that have just such a brochure of their own online. I think more people would actually bowl in leagues if they knew how intimidating it ISN'T. Just last season one of the teams on our league had a bowler with an 80 average. House ball and house shoes. Ouch, but hey, it's a warm body.

More short season leagues as well as more doubles and trios leagues might also help. Note that you could always put four doubles on a pair in order to not "waste" lanes. Keeping 2-3 people together as a team for 16 weeks is a lot easier than keeping 4-5 people together for 38 weeks.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#112264 - 01/04/10 11:02 PM Re: Intro to League Bowling [Re: Atochabsh]
beefers1 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 24/M/British Columbia
Originally Posted By: Atochabsh
Quote:
True, much of it goes into the prize pot, but I'm sure a lot of it still goes to the bowling center.

Most centers price their league lineage by "time of day". 6 to 7pm during the week being the most costly. Second shift leagues usually get a lesser fee for lineage and Seniors during the day and ladies during the morning are even less.

The lineage at the center for Thursday nights is $5 or $5.50/game (not sure) so I guess I can now imagine why the league costs so much.

BTW, it's a trios league, not a 4-person league. My bad.

Don't they usually give discounts for league members, though?

#112266 - 01/04/10 11:08 PM Re: Intro to League Bowling [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
MikeHL Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 34/M/da U.P. of Michigan, eh
Originally Posted By: Calvin Pistorio
Like Vampyre mentioned, most centers don't care about the league bowlers. They can make more off of open play, that is if they get enough people coming in and bowling. There are even some centers that have opened in recent years that don't allow any leagues and charge per an hour for one lane. They also expect to make more money off the the bar and snack bar from open play bowlers.

All too true. The center in which my Sunday-night league bowls is much like this. I was trying to track down some information recently on PBA Hall of Famer Mike McGrath. In the process, I found that for several years he used to manage the only bowling center remaining in San Francisco. It doesn't have any leagues and doesn't want them.

Originally Posted By: Calvin Pistorio
There are some centers out there that go against the norm though and treat league bowlers very well and the center managers try to help the leagues grow and will try to even recruit leagues from other centers.

Fortunately, the center at which I bowl my Wednesday-night league and the vast majority of my practice sessions is like this. It's known around here as a bowlers' bowling center as opposed to having the more general entertainment base. Hell, the center where I bowl Sunday nights doesn't have a Pro Shop. They have a White Dot, a Maxim and a T-Zone on the wall behind the cash register w/price tags on them.
-- Mika Koivuniemi

#112482 - 01/06/10 10:07 AM Re: Intro to League Bowling [Re: JackZ]
HughScot Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 76/M/NC
Originally Posted By: JackZ
Most league bowling is a vanishing minority these days. Most folks don't like the idea of having to spend mega-bucks to be competitive. Before the days of auto-scoring and synthetic lanes you owned 1...maybe 2 balls and worked with that. Now, it seems that if you want to compete you have to have an arsenal. It's become a game for people who have a higher income and the average person gets left out in the cold. Of course the lanes would prefer open bowlers. They don't spend their money on equipment...they spend it in the bar, the snack bar, and the lanes.

Bowling has always been know as a "blue collar" sport due to the low cost. If you think bowling is getting expensive try golf. I've played golf for over 40 years and the amount of money spent by the average golfer per year is substantial....thousands of dollars. Bowling is still a very inexpensive sport. There is a "little ole lady" who bowls in my seniors league who has been using the same ball for 12 years and has a 157 average. That's an extreme but you can buy an excellent ball, drilled for $200 or less. I know everyone wants to have an "arsenal" but I'm not sure it is really necessary. Personally, I can see me using my current ball for spares and one new ball for everything else. I know, I'm naive and a beginner.
Hammer Turbo Deep Purple 14#

#112496 - 01/06/10 11:43 AM Re: Intro to League Bowling [Re: JackZ]
mtg712 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 23/m/MI
the house that holds my leagues is wonderful. they treat their bowlers very well. i started in a summer league and one of the perks of that was 50 cent per game till labor day. for xmas the owner ordered a bunch of pizzas and gave them to the leagues. also if your a league bowler games are only 1.79 during open bowling. houses around my area are trying to fill their respective leagues.
15 Pound Lane #1 Pink Panther
15 Pound Columbia 300 Archrival
15 Pound Columbia 300 Freeze
12 Pound Columbia 300 White Dot

USS KEARSARGE

#112506 - 01/06/10 12:38 PM Re: Intro to League Bowling [Re: mtg712]
ecub Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 44/m/usa (IL)
Yeah, I understand your issue, but I guess it's also up to the individual who joins the league. I would have to assume that when you join a league, you're expected to know the rules. But if you don't, you can probably ask. Like for a sanctioned league, our secretary will give the USBC rule book. For a non sanctioned league, our house will usually give a sheet, which contains info on subs, how the handicap is rated, etc. The individual is still supposed to know the general rules.

Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver 15# (@4000)
Storm Natural Pearl 15# (@4000)

PAP: 5 3/4 right 1/4 up
Ball Speed: Mid 15-16 (Power Tweener)

THS: 207
HGS: 279
HSS: 734

#112512 - 01/06/10 01:15 PM Re: Intro to League Bowling [Re: mtg712]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I agree with you Hugh that bowling is definitely cheaper than golf. And you are partially right in that you can get away with a ball for spares and a ball for your strikes because it is a house shot. Because house shots are built to induce high scores a single ball will typically work well in any house on any house shot as long as you are getting something middle of the road that is not going to be to aggressive. The issues arise when you get into the sport shot and competitive world where every shot has a different volume, substantially different lengths and different shapes. This is where the right ball on the right condition comes into play. Without an arsenal you are just hoping that your tool (ball) will match the job (lanes).

You can use a hammer to drive a screw but its not as effective.
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#112518 - 01/06/10 01:41 PM Re: Intro to League Bowling [Re: mtg712]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
Originally Posted By: mtg712
the house that holds my leagues is wonderful. they treat their bowlers very well. i started in a summer league and one of the perks of that was 50 cent per game till labor day. for xmas the owner ordered a bunch of pizzas and gave them to the leagues. also if your a league bowler games are only 1.79 during open bowling. houses around my area are trying to fill their respective leagues.

It must be a Michigan thing being that the State has the most sanctioned bowlers in the country. My house treats us very well too, offering all the perks that mtg712 enjoys at his house. They do not want to lose any leagues and they go out of their way to make it enjoyable for us. Heck I can walk in to practice and if the lanes have not been oiled yet, they will oil a pair just for me. I still believe that ALL centers need leagues to anchor their bussiness, and can't live on open bowling alone.

Edited by Tim Gerard (01/06/10 01:43 PM)

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#112522 - 01/06/10 02:01 PM Re: Intro to League Bowling [Re: Tim Gerard]
mtg712 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 23/m/MI
Originally Posted By: Tim Gerard
Originally Posted By: mtg712

It must be a Michigan thing being that the State has the most sanctioned bowlers in the country. My house treats us very well too, offering all the perks that mtg712 enjoys at his house. They do not want to lose any leagues and they go out of their way to make it enjoyable for us. Heck I can walk in to practice and if the lanes have not been oiled yet, they will oil a pair just for me. I still believe that ALL centers need leagues to anchor their bussiness, and can't live on open bowling alone.

what portion of mi are you located.
15 Pound Lane #1 Pink Panther
15 Pound Columbia 300 Archrival
15 Pound Columbia 300 Freeze
12 Pound Columbia 300 White Dot

USS KEARSARGE

#112527 - 01/06/10 02:35 PM Re: Intro to League Bowling [Re: mtg712]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
mtg712,
I live in Shelby Twsp., not far from Waterford.
I bowl at Troy Lanes in Troy

Edited by Tim Gerard (01/06/10 02:36 PM)

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.