BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#112188 - 01/04/10 01:10 PM Intro to League Bowling
HughScot Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 76/M/NC
If I was running the USBC I would come out with a brochure explaning league bowling. Everything from using two lanes, scoring, handicapping, and much more. By the same token if I owned a bowling facility I'd do it myself. People new to bowling are just suppose to learn everything by osmosis. Bowling lane owners don't seem to do much to lure new bowlers.

Sorry, rant over.
Hammer Turbo Deep Purple 14#

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#112196 - 01/04/10 01:52 PM Re: Intro to League Bowling [Re: HughScot]
VampyreBowler Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 45/Male/Thurmont, MD
I don't know about your houses there, but the one house here i bowl at 3 times a week do not care about the league bowlers. They make more money off the open bowling, or so they say. If that were the case where would it benefit the owners to try to bring people in for leagues? Most the leagues I am on are built through word of mouth and from now bowlers moving into the area and coming in a subbing and finding teams to join

#112213 - 01/04/10 04:12 PM Re: Intro to League Bowling [Re: VampyreBowler]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Like Vampyre mentioned, most centers don't care about the league bowlers. They can make more off of open play, that is if they get enough people coming in and bowling. There are even some centers that have opened in recent years that don't allow any leagues and charge per an hour for one lane. They also expect to make more money off the the bar and snack bar from open play bowlers. This is despite leagues being almost guaranteed money. As long as nobody gets hurt they will be happy. AMF's President even came out and said it a letter to a trade magazine that their priority is the snack bar not leagues.

There are some centers out there that go against the norm though and treat league bowlers very well and the center managers try to help the leagues grow and will try to even recruit leagues from other centers. Unfortunately AMF got rid of most of the good ones in my area, I guess they thought they made too much and brought in managers with degrees in restaurant management.
HS:763

#112214 - 01/04/10 04:18 PM Re: Intro to League Bowling [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
RDubYa Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Florida
I agree with all of you! AMF, like many others, are coming out with AMF 300 Centers across the country. These are new style "bar scene" bowling centers that only have open play - no competitive bowling at all.

To me, a smart proprietor would not want to lose any segment of his business - especially in these times.

#112232 - 01/04/10 07:55 PM Re: Intro to League Bowling [Re: RDubYa]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Lets face it, open play bowlers are much less maintenance then league bowlers. Most use house balls, so you dont' have to worry about lane damage. Most don't care about the oil condition or who bowls next to them. Most are there for a good time, and drinking is part of that. Many league bowlers do not drink during competition but might have one afterwards. Who do you see carrying in food and their own sodas? League bowlers. So not only does the center make more per line from an open bowler but they are much easier to please and spend more money.

But if a house has a full contingent of leagues then they certainly don't want to lose them to neighboring centers.

Erin

#112241 - 01/04/10 09:04 PM Re: Intro to League Bowling [Re: Atochabsh]
beefers1 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 24/M/British Columbia
Originally Posted By: Atochabsh
Who do you see carrying in food and their own sodas? League bowlers.

They allow that?

The only time I've ever been allowed to bring outside food was between rounds at a tournament. And another time when I missed the cut and I stuck around to watch the final rounds.

Our 36-lane center has a very competitive Thursday scratch league that's draft-based where team captains pick his members and it costs $30 a week. True, much of it goes into the prize pot, but I'm sure a lot of it still goes to the bowling center. And there're 25 to 30 4-person teams which is a lot of money per week.

#112242 - 01/04/10 09:09 PM Re: Intro to League Bowling [Re: beefers1]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

Quote:
They allow that?

Most centers do not allow it, but I still see it nearly every time I'm in a bowling center.

#112243 - 01/04/10 09:11 PM Re: Intro to League Bowling [Re: Atochabsh]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

Quote:
True, much of it goes into the prize pot, but I'm sure a lot of it still goes to the bowling center.

Most centers price their league lineage by "time of day". 6 to 7pm during the week being the most costly. Second shift leagues usually get a lesser fee for lineage and Seniors during the day and ladies during the morning are even less.

#112244 - 01/04/10 09:16 PM Re: Intro to League Bowling [Re: Atochabsh]
HughScot Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 76/M/NC
Super interesting as the AMF lanes where I bowl is very league friendly and encourages league play to the extent they have a sign by the cash register that says a game is free if they don't mention joining a league to you. They also give excellent discounts to league bowlers. Of course they really try and sell the food and drink, which is smart.
Hammer Turbo Deep Purple 14#

#112247 - 01/04/10 09:42 PM Re: Intro to League Bowling [Re: HughScot]
JackZ Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 59/M/Cleveland, Ohio
Most league bowling is a vanishing minority these days. Most folks don't like the idea of having to spend mega-bucks to be competitive. Before the days of auto-scoring and synthetic lanes you owned 1...maybe 2 balls and worked with that. Now, it seems that if you want to compete you have to have an arsenal. It's become a game for people who have a higher income and the average person gets left out in the cold. Of course the lanes would prefer open bowlers. They don't spend their money on equipment...they spend it in the bar, the snack bar, and the lanes.

Better swing, more accuracy, and more spares.
A 200 avg. before summer.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - 10/16/19 06:00 PM
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 10:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.