BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#112110 - 01/03/10 06:35 PM Unsanctioned Short Season Leagues
RDubYa Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Florida
In my area I am seeing the proliferation of unsanctioned leagues that run for 10 to 12 weeks. The league fees are much lower due to the absence of sanction costs and at the end of the 10 to 12 weeks, all participants receive a new ball or a $50 gift certificate to the house Pro Shop.

Do you have these where you live and do you think they are good for the sport?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#112119 - 01/03/10 07:12 PM Re: Unsanctioned Short Season Leagues [Re: RDubYa]
Avery Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 28/M/KS
I participated in two short season, unsanctioned leagues last season. They were both run by the house (no officers) and ended up being run so poorly that I avoid giving that house my business if possible. It was just something fun to do for me, my wife, and a friend of mine, but ended up being more frustrating than fun. Scores weren't kept correctly, standings were never right, averages weren't right, lanes were never turned on when they were supposed to be, envelopes weren't out, we never received awards, etc. Several times, the person at the desk had no idea that there was a league on that side of the house and we had to explain what was going on. I seriously question this house's management and ownership, but the owner for some reason got a lifetime achievement award from the BPAA last year (Rex Haney).

So, to answer your question on whether it is good for the sport, that depends. If the league is run well, and there are decent incentives, it can be fun for people that wouldn't otherwise bowl in a league. It may even convince people to join a full season league. If the league is run poorly, I think it is bad for bowling by turning away people.

#112120 - 01/03/10 07:13 PM Re: Unsanctioned Short Season Leagues [Re: RDubYa]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
we have a lot of unsanctioned senior leagues that are full year leagues. But I don't see a lot of short unsanctioned leagues. Though I think its bad for USBC, its not bad for bowling.

Erin

#112129 - 01/03/10 08:10 PM Re: Unsanctioned Short Season Leagues [Re: Avery]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I've bowled in similar merchandise leagues, normally during the summer. Actually my first few summer leagues were actually sanctioned even though they were just merchandise leagues. These leagues when ran right can be great for the sport. Sometimes these leagues are full of new bowlers, or long time bowlers that never bowled in a league. Some of those bowlers like it and can be recruited for sanctioned leagues.

Originally Posted By: Avery
we never received awards, etc. .

Just a quick question, if it was an unsanctioned league, what awards were you expecting other than whatever the end of season prize was?
HS:763

#112135 - 01/03/10 09:56 PM Re: Unsanctioned Short Season Leagues [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Avery Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 28/M/KS
Originally Posted By: Calvin Pistorio

Originally Posted By: Avery
we never received awards, etc. .

Just a quick question, if it was an unsanctioned league, what awards were you expecting other than whatever the end of season prize was?

Not USBC awards or anything like that. We were supposed to receive different prizes and awards from the house for team place, high game/series/average, etc.

Edited by Avery (01/03/10 10:00 PM)

#112144 - 01/03/10 11:02 PM Re: Unsanctioned Short Season Leagues [Re: Avery]
Dennis Michael Online   jestera
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Seeing more and more half season leagues around here. We have practice leagues that run for 2 months. $10 per week and you get a punch card for up to 40 free practice games in the month.

Some Club and Church groups are doing short seasons. And, we have the every other weekend leagues, too. Usually in the afternoons.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#112151 - 01/03/10 11:41 PM Re: Unsanctioned Short Season Leagues [Re: Dennis Michael]
MikeHL Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 34/M/da U.P. of Michigan, eh
The Sunday-night league in which I bowled a few hours ago is short-season -- tonight was week 4 of 19 -- but it is sanctioned. A friend of mine back in Massachusetts who'd never bowled anything in his life, tenpin, candlepin or otherwise, joined such a league in 2007. He got an Ebonite Tornado through that league which he still uses sometimes, though it's mainly a Hy-Road for him now. This area doesn't have any unsanctioned leagues, and if those horror stories are par for the course, maybe it's for the best that we don't.
-- Mika Koivuniemi

#112153 - 01/04/10 01:57 AM Re: Unsanctioned Short Season Leagues [Re: MikeHL]
ecub Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 44/m/usa (IL)
I bowl in an unsanctioned league in the summer (about 13 weeks), after our fall sanctioned league ends. I like to bowl and I need to work on my game. Plus our house runs the unsanctioned league without a hitch. It's basically just liked our sanctioned league, but without the extra cost.
Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver 15# (@4000)
Storm Natural Pearl 15# (@4000)

PAP: 5 3/4 right 1/4 up
Ball Speed: Mid 15-16 (Power Tweener)

THS: 207
HGS: 279
HSS: 734

#112167 - 01/04/10 08:33 AM Re: Unsanctioned Short Season Leagues [Re: ecub]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Quote:
It's basically just liked our sanctioned league, but without the extra cost.

Just some clarity for those new to USBC sanctioning. If you buy your card in September you are sanctioned through the next summer. So any summer league you bowl in, if sanctioned, you are already paid and in good membership standing. You should not have to buy anything extra to bowl in a summer sanctioned league providing you paid for your sanctioning that previous Sept.

Erin

#112185 - 01/04/10 01:00 PM Re: Unsanctioned Short Season Leagues [Re: Atochabsh]
HughScot Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 76/M/NC
As someone new to bowling it sounds like a good idea to me. I now bowl in a sanctioned league. But many people would enjoy a shorter league, say ten weeks, as a way to get started and learn how league bowling works. I just went ahead and jumped in as nothing else was available. If it gets people bowling and eventually into sanctioned leagues I think the USBC benefits long term.

I also think weekend leagues would be great.
Hammer Turbo Deep Purple 14#

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - 10/16/19 06:00 PM
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 10:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.