BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111711 - 12/30/09 06:52 PM My 1st Ball: Questions
Doc Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 34/M/South Florida
Happy New Year everyone.

So I got my first bowling ball for Christmas. A Columbia 300 Scout Reactive. 13lb Green. Looks like a big ball of Kryptonite and I love it!! smile

Quick question: (forgive my noobiness)

I had it drilled for a conventional grip, and the fit seems a little awkward. The thumb fits perfectly: slides in and out smooth with no excess room around the hole.. the fingers however, feel just a slight bit tight. I don't know if its because I got so use to the way a house ball fits, and now it fits properly. Is that normal? Would a rosin bag help?

I am taking my 1st lesson next Friday from the pro who drilled the ball for me, and I guess he can take a look at my grip and decide whether it needs to be adjusted or not...right?

What I do know is this: I bowled a 160 without even trying. I just aimed at the pins and wherever I aimed that's where the ball went. This thing is an ARROW!! I love it.

Looking forward to getting some fundamentals and FINALLY learning how to read arrows.

Any feedback or advice would be most appreciated!

THANKS!!
-Doc

Edited by Doc (12/30/09 06:56 PM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#111755 - 12/31/09 08:35 AM Re: My 1st Ball: Questions [Re: Doc]
Doc Offline
Bantam

Bump for help!!

#111762 - 12/31/09 09:12 AM Re: My 1st Ball: Questions [Re: Doc]
shepdave Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 56/m/Vienna, VA
If the conventional grip is working for you, good and well. But I think, based on my few months of experience, that I would seriously consider getting it redrilled for fingertip grip.

I made the mistake of having my first ball drilled for conventional. When I had it redrilled for fingertip, it made a very large difference in my enjoyment of the game.
T-Zone 15#

#111774 - 12/31/09 10:13 AM Re: My 1st Ball: Questions [Re: shepdave]
TenPin_ Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 32/M/TX
Without seeing a picture of your fingers in the ball it's hard to say if it is drilled right. Since you are going to be taking a lesson that is the perfect time to have your coach check for proper fit. If you are planning on just bowling from time to time for fun then a conventional grip is fine, but if you want to get the most out of your ball and continue to improve your skills then you should get it re-drilled fingertip.

Also, if your fingers are tight then a rosin bag would make things worse, as rosin is meant to add grip / tackiness to your hand. Easy Slide is a fine powder for adding slip, but use it sparingly / carefully as it can cause issues for other bowlers if you spill it, and you only need a little to get results. But I would wait on all of that until you find out if your fingers are too tight, as the best thing would be to have a proper fit and not have to use those products (at least, not regularly).

#111805 - 12/31/09 01:28 PM Re: My 1st Ball: Questions [Re: TenPin_]
tbill Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 42/m/ny
as mentioned, the coach should be able to spot a fitment issue i should think. and good thinking getting a coach/lessons, that should improve your game way faster than figuring it out on your own [ask me how i know, lol].

be sure to keep us up to date on your progress.
working on all of them......

track 930T [15]

member of the mooseknuckles winter vl team

#111810 - 12/31/09 01:42 PM Re: My 1st Ball: Questions [Re: tbill]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Since the coach is also the driller of the ball, he probably won't find an issue with the fit unless pain is involved. Maybe just opening some holes up if something hangs up.
HS:763

#111824 - 12/31/09 04:26 PM Re: My 1st Ball: Questions [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Doc Offline
Bantam

I am using the conventional grip for now just to develop arm strength and proper foot form. Which is also why I got a 13 lb ball as opposed to a heavier one. I would EVENTUALLY like to purchase a heavier ball. But I am having trouble physically lifting one. (bad back and lack of muscle!! )

So i'm treating this just as if i was in the gym...Stick to a lighter weight with lots of repetition. and Eventually move up in weight.

For the next ball I will get it drilled for tips.

***Since I posted this last night, i went back to the pro-shop and got one of those Ebonite powder bags. I also went bowling again and bowled my highest game of a 166.

Baby steps, but i can see AND feel a difference with this ball...and still...NO OFFICIAL LESSONS YET!

So excited...keep you all posted.

Thank you so much for your insight. Such a nice feeling to know I have a place to come to for advice!!!

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - Yesterday at 11:45 AM
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 10:29 AM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 08:41 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 08/16/18 01:06 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.