BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111366 - 12/27/09 08:08 PM Practice comparison
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
I decided to compare video from November 6th to yesterday before working with the coach today and I really don't see any growth except I wasn't trying to throw the ball through the pit in yesterdays session.

Things I have been working on Balance and release, My release feels better and ball is reacting better. Stepping my left foot over farther at finish. Maybe a touch better but no real improvement.

I did do a lot of 1,2,and 3 step drills with the coach today and he made me start over if I messed up. So hopefully next video will show some growth I hope. I have another session Wed.

I am determined but frustrated anyway here is the not so pretty video.

Edited by Rocket (12/27/09 08:36 PM)
Mutant Cell

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#111387 - 12/27/09 11:13 PM Re: Practice comparison [Re: Rocket]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 56/M/Mn
Personally, not a fan of slo-mo, unless looking for something very specific. smile Your balance issue is because the ball is quite a ways from your slide foot at the point of release. It's going to pull you off balance to the right every time. IMO, there are few things more important than being on balance at the line, and you will never get decent hand in the ball if you are fighting balance issues. There are many players with very unique approaches, but they all end up solid at the line. Once you are dead solid balanced at the line, then you can start tweaking other things like the release. Looks like timing might be a tad late, too. That would cause you to pull your arm through, also affecting balance. Think of the ball dropping DOWN towards the approach WITH your first step. Looks like you push it away some, which delays the swing, then you have to hurry it a bit to catch up. Make sense?
Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#111389 - 12/27/09 11:25 PM Re: Practice comparison [Re: trekguy]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Makes sense, I went ahead with the slo mo due to only one angle. And that is one of many things I am working on> when I do the drills with the coach I can do it. When I go full speed with the coach I can do it most of the time hit my ankle once lol. But get out on my own and bang back to old habits.

Today was a bit better after practice Jordan and I went to another house and I had him watching me (forgot cam) and I paid him .50 for every time I lost my balance cost me $4.50 but most of that was in the first game and my scores were good.

Thats whats weird my scores are going up so I think I am doing well then when I see it looks like crap. I would rather have good mechanics and score then bad mechanics and good scores.

Why do I love this game so? lol
Mutant Cell

#111393 - 12/28/09 12:17 AM Re: Practice comparison [Re: Rocket]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 56/M/Mn
Originally Posted By: Rocket
Makes sense, I went ahead with the slo mo due to only one angle. And that is one of many things I am working on> when I do the drills with the coach I can do it. When I go full speed with the coach I can do it most of the time hit my ankle once lol. But get out on my own and bang back to old habits.

Today was a bit better after practice Jordan and I went to another house and I had him watching me (forgot cam) and I paid him .50 for every time I lost my balance cost me $4.50 but most of that was in the first game and my scores were good.

Thats whats weird my scores are going up so I think I am doing well then when I see it looks like crap. I would rather have good mechanics and score then bad mechanics and good scores.

Why do I love this game so? lol

In practice, the score doesn't matter, don't even look at it. It's not about the score... it's about whatever you're working on. I can't say that strongly enough, the fact that you even know what you have for a score means you're not focusing on practicing technique alone. That may be part of the problem when you get away from your coach. wink

So anyway, try dropping the ball into the swing when your right leg starts moving. You should feel your arm straighten out in time with your right foot hitting the approach.

Most importantly, work on balance at the line. Do whatever it takes to accomplish this. A little more knee bend might help you. If you have to use a lighter ball, or lower your back swing, do it. If you have to really think about swinging your right leg out behind you to the left, do it. If you have to walk through your approach 100 times without the ball, do it. Eventually, you'll find something that clicks for you.

Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#111419 - 12/28/09 07:32 AM Re: Practice comparison [Re: trekguy]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

How di they know I was a bad musician? lol
Thanks for the video. I guess I will head back down to the basement and work on timing some more.
Mutant Cell

#111428 - 12/28/09 10:35 AM Re: Practice comparison [Re: Rocket]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Be patient. It's the journey that makes bowling fun.

BTW, I personally would only throw a curve at either 3-9 or 3-6-9-10, never the 3-6-10. Personal preference. Sometimes the back end is slick on the outside and your ball will fall off the edge of the earth.

Once bowled beside a gang of 4, one of whom fell into my lane every time he threw. Quite irritating. Balance. Very important. When I fall off my position after a release, I try to immediate correct that on the next shot.

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#111432 - 12/28/09 10:47 AM Re: Practice comparison [Re: 10PinGaloot]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Yeah spare me, I think that is part of the issue I know its hard to believe but form and balance used to be the best part of my game 20 years ago.

That and watching Jordan be able to do what the coach asked him to do 3 shots later and continue to do it from there on .

I know he has hardly any muscle memory so it easier and I am very glad he can.

But when you know you used to able do this without thinking about it and now you have to force it and still mess it up its frustrating. I am still having fun dont get me wrong, I think part of it to is I am an engineer by trade and the I have to make it better mentality is still with me, so thats a good thing.

Makes me realize to some extent how someone must feel after an accident or something and they have to learn to walk again, knowing they have done it and can do it just have to make it happen.
Mutant Cell

#111440 - 12/28/09 12:11 PM Re: Practice comparison [Re: Rocket]
ijohn83 Offline
4x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 54/male/Palmdale, California U...
Morning Rocket,

I would say to get the ball to the inside of the slide foot, not the head out to the ball.
Getting your head out over the ball will help your targeting and scores now, but you will bite you in the b-u-t-t later. I was doing that for a while and have had to get rid of the excessive right lean - now that the ball is getting closer to my slide foot. The pros look like they lean right alot, but the way I see their Videos, their hips get so far left out of the way, it just looks like alot of right lean. Their heads are still over where they started from.

~ John

#111443 - 12/28/09 01:14 PM Re: Practice comparison [Re: ijohn83]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Ijohn, funny you would say that Jordan told me To step to my target instead of leaning to my target a couple of times yesterday, and by watching the videos I see what he and you mean.
Mutant Cell

#111529 - 12/29/09 11:24 AM Re: Practice comparison [Re: Rocket]
Let1Hang Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 36/M/Akron, OH
Rocket,

One thing that might help you with balance is the orientation of your slide foot. This article that Ron Clifton has on his site has helped me tremendously. From what I see in your video it looks like it might help you too.

http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip25.htm

-Craig

P.S. - What part of Ohio are you from? I'm from the Akron area.
HG: 276
HS: 727 (267,276,182)

Avg: 204
HG: 255
HS: 721

Avg: 194
HG: 263
HS: 679

Avg: 187
HG: 257
HS: 636

Career
LHG: 300 - 12/28/09
LHS: 727 (300,226,201) - 12/28/09
PHG: 268
PHS: 691

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 10:42 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/21/18 07:57 AM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.