BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111276 - 12/26/09 02:43 PM high rev release *****
spectral Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 24/M/Belgium
hey,

i was just wondering if anyone can learn a semi high rev release. I know not everyone is cut out to throw a super high rev release but is there some point pretty much everyone can reach if they put in enough effort??

For instance they say ANY person can reach 180 average if they play bowling regularly, regardless of talent and such.
Is there any amount of revs averyone can reach if put in enough effort?

i'm asking because my release is lousy, and i've been trying to correct it for the past 2 years but i notice almost no improvement. by lousy release i'm talking about a release that doesn't reach 200 RPM's. I never measured it exactly but i doubt i reach 150, i'm struggling on lanes that have 39feet of oil to get ANY hook in the ball.

I've been working with a coach but that went to the point of him saying not everyone is cut out to throw a big hook and that i'm kind off at an irreversible point where changing my release to a big hook release would require me to have a total brainwash and start from scratch.

i have always been enthusiastic about bowling but lately i have been thinking about giving up because of this.

I think i can play a line quite good, i'm fairly accurate. My approach could surely use some finetuning as well but it's the release i'm really struggling with. I'm in search of some hook and pin action. It's not like i want to have 400+ revs at all costs but it would be nice to be somewhere in between 200 and 300.

Is this possible or am i stuck to throwing it pretty straight forever?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#111278 - 12/26/09 03:28 PM Re: high rev release [Re: spectral]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 56/M/Mn
Originally Posted By: spectral
hey,

i was just wondering if anyone can learn a semi high rev release. I know not everyone is cut out to throw a super high rev release but is there some point pretty much everyone can reach if they put in enough effort??

For instance they say ANY person can reach 180 average if they play bowling regularly, regardless of talent and such.
Is there any amount of revs averyone can reach if put in enough effort?

i'm asking because my release is lousy, and i've been trying to correct it for the past 2 years but i notice almost no improvement. by lousy release i'm talking about a release that doesn't reach 200 RPM's. I never measured it exactly but i doubt i reach 150, i'm struggling on lanes that have 39feet of oil to get ANY hook in the ball.

I've been working with a coach but that went to the point of him saying not everyone is cut out to throw a big hook and that i'm kind off at an irreversible point where changing my release to a big hook release would require me to have a total brainwash and start from scratch.

i have always been enthusiastic about bowling but lately i have been thinking about giving up because of this.

I think i can play a line quite good, i'm fairly accurate. My approach could surely use some finetuning as well but it's the release i'm really struggling with. I'm in search of some hook and pin action. It's not like i want to have 400+ revs at all costs but it would be nice to be somewhere in between 200 and 300.

Is this possible or am i stuck to throwing it pretty straight forever?

Of course you can do it! But, you HAVE to be willing to try new things with your delivery. You have to be willing to step out of your comfort zone on the approach. You have to be willing to look like a total doofus when you're trying something different. Muscle memory is a great thing, it allows us to repeat movements over and over again, without thinking about it. However, when we want to change how we do those movements, it is a challenge. Sounds like you need a new coach. All I can say is, read this forum, there's gobs and gobs of ideas and tips here. Also, youtube. Look at videos, and practice the release techniques at home. Get a jr size football. And most important of all, pay attention to what the ball is doing when it leaves your hand, and NOT how many pins you knock down. Practice is not about pinfall, it is about Execution.

Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#111279 - 12/26/09 03:36 PM Re: high rev release [Re: spectral]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
Could you make a video of yourself bowling ? If you can take 1 from the back and 1 from the side.
Here is how the pros do it.

This is Del warren explaining the release

Read this also
http://www.bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/slowinskiapr08.pdf
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#111282 - 12/26/09 03:42 PM Re: high rev release [Re: trekguy]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
I've searched all over the internet for tips on creating revs, and asked here, and have not gotten satisfaction. But I'm pretty sure revs take muscle... Muscle and technique.

If I were doing it over again, I would start out with a 14 pound low Rg ball so that I could perfect my technique, and then move up in weight and/or switch to a high Rg ball if I was able to strengthen myself enough.

Some guys are lucky enough to crank from the get-go. The rest of us seem to have to settle for whatever we can get out of the ball.

That said, you can have a 200-plus average with a 14# ball rolled at 11 mph. There are many ways to be successful at the game. My best shot is limp-wristed, thumb eleven o'clock, no muscle. Go figure. In leagues, that's all you need. In competition - or scratch leagues - maybe you would need more.

BTW - trek guy's videos don't tell how to crank. You should watch the pros, for instance TJ or Maximum Bob, to get an idea of what it takes.
spr3wr posted while I was writing this. I like the Slowinski pdf. I call that shot the waggle.

In this video, you can see hardly any difference in teh releases. Mainly a matter of muscle to get the revs up.

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#111283 - 12/26/09 03:52 PM Re: high rev release [Re: 10PinGaloot]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
You don't need to "crank" on the ball to get higher revs. Look at Micheal Fagan and his 550+ rev rate. Pete Weber is probably around 300-350 and doesn't "crank" it either. It's not all hand movements either. You need good leverage at the release point which is attributed to the legs, such as a nice need knee bend and good balance at the release point and beyond.
HS:763

#111284 - 12/26/09 04:01 PM Re: high rev release [Re: spr3wr]
spectral Offline
Action Bowler

thanks,

i actually viewed like 100eds of release videos and i also read the article you posted.

i have a video of me bowling but it's not very recent (like 4months old) and we have made some changes since then. I might make a new one next week or the week after with my coach.

There are not that many renowned coaches here, i live in belgium and it's not really a very popular sport here.

I read so many articles i kinda know the Execution by heart, i can execute it OK when isolating the release but get stuck when i try to implement in into my approach...

I have a pretty strong wrist as i can deliver a 15-pound bowling ball with no thumb using just one hand (so no support at all from the off hand) at a rev rate of above 500. But for some reason when i do not use a wrist device i have even fewer revs (yes i use one right now, and would like to get rid of it over time)

#111285 - 12/26/09 04:07 PM Re: high rev release [Re: 10PinGaloot]
spectral Offline
Action Bowler

Originally Posted By: SpareMe
In this video, you can see hardly any difference in teh releases. Mainly a matter of muscle to get the revs up.

I think you can see a big difference.

in the 150- RPM range you see a weak finger position and a too soon uncupped wrist

from 150 to like 270 you see a cupped wrist but a not so strong finger position

and from 270+ you see a cupped wrist and a strong hand position.
added with some elbow action for the real high revs

#111298 - 12/26/09 08:54 PM Re: high rev release [Re: spectral]
RDubYa Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Florida
I agree that the various rev rate videos do have differences. I believe that a higher rev release requires a loose wrist and a wrist device limits the action that creates those revs. Also, turning the ball too early is one the biggest rev killers. Unless you have a physical problem that requires the wrist device, I would suggest putting it in your bag.

I would also suggest practicing releasing the ball in a strong rev position while at the foul line in your finish position. Watch your hand as you swing the ball in a short arc (1 to 2 feet) and relax or unload the wrist at release. The ball will be slow, but you will see the release and the revs and more importantly you will get the "feel" of the proper release technique.

Once you have done this for a while (I would recommend starting every practice session with this drill)you can then incorporate it into your regular delivery. Just go slower at first or you will revert back to your old technique.

#111309 - 12/26/09 11:40 PM Re: high rev release [Re: spectral]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 56/M/Mn
Originally Posted By: spectral

I have a pretty strong wrist as i can deliver a 15-pound bowling ball with no thumb using just one hand (so no support at all from the off hand) at a rev rate of above 500. But for some reason when i do not use a wrist device i have even fewer revs (yes i use one right now, and would like to get rid of it over time)

??? If you can do a one hand/no thumb release, then you already know what it takes. The wrist goes from loaded/cupped to unloaded/uncupped as it goes past your ankle. The same principle applies... thumb or no thumb. The reason it always results in revs when you don't use the thumb is that you must maintain the loaded wrist position past your ankle, or the ball will simply fall off of your hand, and crash into the approach. The reason you dump it early, and get your hand on top of the ball(ie.no revs)... is because you can. With the thumb in, the natural tendency is to grab and hang on to it. The trick is to use your thumb (for stability and control), but deliver the ball like your not (load/unload).
Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#111317 - 12/27/09 05:46 AM Re: high rev release [Re: trekguy]
spectral Offline
Action Bowler

every remark you guys make is spot on. But i'm really struggling to get it out of my game. My natural delivery was to throw (and i do mean throw) the ball with a completely open wrist and squeezing it like hell.

I have been working on the squeezing issue and it does not feel like i squeeze it anymore (alltho i might, it just feels way better than it used to)

And no i do not have a medical reason for using the wrist brace, i mentioned i could deliver a 15pound ball using one hand, and i can do it over and over again for a complete night if you wanted me to, so that must mean my wrist has plenty of strengh/stability. Problem is when i omit the thingy my ball used to slide down the lane making almost no revolutions at all. It's a bit better now but it still does not hook at all, even on pretty dry lanes. throwing it like that does not give me any pin action at all thus drastically reducing my pinfall.

the thing i don't get is, you need to uncup the wrist at the ankle, i know that much.

-does the thumb go out of the ball while your hand is still cupped? and does the uncupping happen with the thumb already out? (because i have a very stiff thumb and i have problems getting it out cleanly while my hand is cupped)

-or does it come out while uncupping it?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
I'll try again
by 82Boat69 - Today at 01:58 PM
Tiered Tape...
by djp1080 - Today at 12:46 PM
what will become of AMF
by BOSStull - Today at 09:41 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - Yesterday at 04:31 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 06/17/18 06:08 AM
For the good of the sport?
by BOSStull - 06/16/18 06:39 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 05/27/18 05:03 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.