BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110622 - 12/18/09 11:35 PM Locating the PAP
HughScot Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 76/M/NC
When my ball arrived I took it out of the box and the only thing visible was the Pin. So how does a driller determine where the PAP is located? Everything I read talks about the distance in inches from the Pin to the PAP so the PAP seems to be variable. Since it is very important and can be in various locations I'm wondering how the driller finds its position.
Hammer Turbo Deep Purple 14#

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#110642 - 12/19/09 04:49 AM Re: Locating the PAP [Re: HughScot]
ecub Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 44/m/usa (IL)
The PAP is measured by using the track marks on a ball that your already own. Or you can also throw a ball down the lane and you would use the track mark closest to the thumb hole. The driller would then measure out using the track mark, to determine your PAP.
Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver 15# (@4000)
Storm Natural Pearl 15# (@4000)

PAP: 5 3/4 right 1/4 up
Ball Speed: Mid 15-16 (Power Tweener)

THS: 207
HGS: 279
HSS: 734

#110650 - 12/19/09 08:55 AM Re: Locating the PAP [Re: ecub]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
try these:

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#110663 - 12/19/09 11:56 AM Re: Locating the PAP [Re: 10PinGaloot]
HughScot Offline
Action Bowler

Thanks, but when my ball arrived it had no holes so it could not be thrown to obtain track lines, etc. It was my first ball. The "Pro" took the ball out of the box and started making measurements and drawing lines with the yellow pen. I asked him where the PAP was and he pointed to a tiny raised place....looked like a slight defect to me...and said that was the PAP. Since you can't roll a brand new ball how does the driller know where to drill?

#110667 - 12/19/09 12:25 PM Re: Locating the PAP [Re: HughScot]
ecub Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 44/m/usa (IL)
He would have to use a ball that you've already used. Drillers will usually use a general PAP if it's unknown, which I believe is 5" over, 1" up.
Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver 15# (@4000)
Storm Natural Pearl 15# (@4000)

PAP: 5 3/4 right 1/4 up
Ball Speed: Mid 15-16 (Power Tweener)

THS: 207
HGS: 279
HSS: 734

#110668 - 12/19/09 01:04 PM Re: Locating the PAP [Re: ecub]
HughScot Offline
Action Bowler

He didn't so I guess it was done improperly. We could have easily walked thirty feet and I could have thrown a house ball. Since I bought two balls...one for me and another for girlfriend...and two pairs of shoes, etc. you would have thought he would have done it properly. Live and learn.

#110669 - 12/19/09 01:11 PM Re: Locating the PAP [Re: HughScot]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
You can't get a proper PAP measurement from a house ball. A house ball is drilled conventional span, and you really only need a PAP if you are rolling some sort of hook which is kind of hard to do with a house ball. I'm assuming you have a fingertip span and you would get a slightly different result. Now you can develop your game and get a more accurate PAP measurement for your next ball. That is assuming the driller knows anything about the PAP and pin to PAP distances and so on. Many still drill it the old school way of just where the pin and CG are placed.
HS:763

#110670 - 12/19/09 01:21 PM Re: Locating the PAP [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
ijohn83 Offline
4x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 54/male/Palmdale, California U...
On a side note: When I am on one knee doing my release drill at the foul line, will that be the same PAP as my regular weak release PAP?

~ John

#110671 - 12/19/09 01:32 PM Re: Locating the PAP [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
HughScot Offline
Action Bowler

Originally Posted By: Calvin Pistorio
You can't get a proper PAP measurement from a house ball. A house ball is drilled conventional span, and you really only need a PAP if you are rolling some sort of hook which is kind of hard to do with a house ball. I'm assuming you have a fingertip span and you would get a slightly different result. Now you can develop your game and get a more accurate PAP measurement for your next ball. That is assuming the driller knows anything about the PAP and pin to PAP distances and so on. Many still drill it the old school way of just where the pin and CG are placed.

Good point as I do use a fingertip grip....although when the ball was first drilled it was conventional as that is what the pro recommended but after a week I knew I wanted fingertip so he redrilled and added inserts,(for $40).

When I get my next ball the driller will know exactly what I want and how to do it.

#110682 - 12/19/09 03:13 PM Re: Locating the PAP [Re: HughScot]
TenPin_ Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 32/M/TX
To add to what Calvin has said, even with a ball drilled for you if you don't have a consistent release you may not have an accurately measurable PAP.

I have a customer who has been bowling for some time but doesn't have very good form. She wanted a new reactive ball so I had her roll one of her current balls to measure her PAP. After way too much time spent moving the tape, measuring again, moving the tape, etc, I had to tell her that her release was not very consistent and her PAP kept changing because of that. So even if you have a ball drilled for you and even if you have been bowling for some time, without a consistent release it may not be possible to accurately measure your PAP.

And to add one more facet, your PAP can change over time should you develop a stronger or weaker release. I've been working on my own release over the last 2 years and have changed my PAP a little, I don't have my measurement in front of me but my horizontal measurement has increased by about 1/4" or 3/8" and the vertical measurement dropped by about 1/2". So even if you know your PAP if it's been a few years since it was measured you might want to have it checked again, unless you are sure you are still releasing the ball the same.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
I'll try again
by BOSStull - 54 minutes 30 seconds ago
what will become of AMF
by BOSStull - Today at 09:41 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - Yesterday at 04:31 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 06/17/18 06:08 AM
For the good of the sport?
by BOSStull - 06/16/18 06:39 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 05/27/18 05:03 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.