BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110304 - 12/16/09 09:55 AM Arsenal Changes, could use some opinions
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Hello again all.

I will be rebuilding my arsenal at the beginning of the year as I do in most cases. I will be keeping a few balls I feel are still valuable and then removing a few that I think are either D.O.A. or they just do not play how I expected them too. In any case I would like to know your opinions...

Heavy Oil - Invasion (4000) & Mutant Cell (2000)

Medium/Heavy Oil - Cell (2000) & Virtual Gravity (4000)

Medium Oil - Cell Pearl (1500 POL) & Hy-Road (1500 POL)

Medium/Light Oil - Nomad Pearl (2000 POL)

Light Oil - Natural (2000)

As a note, the balls shown in red are the ones I already have and will either leave at their current surface or modify the surface to give them a different look.

Please let me know if you see anything that should be modified or added/removed. Thanks!
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#110309 - 12/16/09 10:30 AM Re: Arsenal Changes, could use some opinions [Re: sk8shorty01]
lmfcoa Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: Chicagoland
The lack of Visionary is saddening :P

Looks pretty solid though =)

PAP: 5 1/8 x 3/4 up || Speed: 17.78 || Revs: 314 || Rotation: 65* || Tilt: 15*

#110323 - 12/16/09 11:31 AM Re: Arsenal Changes, could use some opinions [Re: lmfcoa]
Russ I. Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/m/wis
I'm partial to the Rogue right now but you have th VG which is pretty much the same. I've only seen the Mutant for 2 weeks now and looks pretty impressive
PAP 4 7/8" x 0

#110325 - 12/16/09 11:50 AM Re: Arsenal Changes, could use some opinions [Re: Russ I.]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I also have the Cell Solid and Pearl so I figured I would get the new one as the roll is different than the VG or Cell Solid.

The Rogue does roll similar to the VG and I was a little worried that they would just be the same ball with a different color scheme.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#110332 - 12/16/09 01:04 PM Re: Arsenal Changes, could use some opinions [Re: sk8shorty01]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
I'd knock the polish off the HyRoad, maybe take it to 4000, just to give yourself a medium ball with a bit more midlane.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#110348 - 12/16/09 03:16 PM Re: Arsenal Changes, could use some opinions [Re: cgeorg]
who's that Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 35 Male New Jersey
Just buy all new equipment and give the old stuff away..

2 Cruel (pre-ordered)
Raptor P7
Raptor Attack
Buzz Attack

Secondary Equipment

Sting Widow Maker
Cruel C5
Xtreme Damage
Terminator

#110381 - 12/16/09 08:43 PM Re: Arsenal Changes, could use some opinions [Re: sk8shorty01]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Are you going to have two arsenals, one for league and one for tournaments, or are you trying to have a full 8 ball arsenal?

I vote for the full 8 ball arsenal, I would try different pin to val angle, between the two balls in the same category. I would have a high pin and a low pin ball, as well as a different surface for each ball in the same category, this will help fill more holes when bowling tournaments.

#110383 - 12/16/09 08:54 PM Re: Arsenal Changes, could use some opinions [Re: who's that]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
Hey Sk8, I'd like to give my opinion here. I'm not really sure why the Cell and VG aren't in the Heavy oil slot. I personally feel that those are suitable for heavy oil but can sometimes be used on slightly lesser conditions. Balls like the Invasion and Mutant, to me, are balls that you would only pull out in nothing short of heavy/long oil that would make most other balls look like a spare ball. A condition that pretty no one sees more than once or twice a year if that.

I see you're really into Storm and Roto Grip. Are you set on them? I'm wondering what you're hoping to get out of the Hy-Road that you aren't getting out of the Cell Pearl. I've heard they can both be snappy and smooth, I think different people just match up to them differently. I'm not quite sure if people who have both get a similar reaction out of them or different. I've heard the Nomad Pearl is a rather smooth pearl so that would be my choice over the Hy-Road if you're going to have two medium balls(assuming the Cell Pearl is snappy). Then, I would choose the Mars for Medium/Light.

Also, if you're going to stay with the Invasion/Mutant idea for heavy oil, I would not get both. To me, they are rather comparable, much like the VG and Rogue. I would personally only choose one for this group because a)No one makes a smoother ball that's as strong anymore(except maybe the Motiv TR2, Track 930T, or Ogre Particle), and b)On this condition, I would think it's better to have a ball that can make the turn at the end of the pattern.

#110396 - 12/16/09 11:46 PM Re: Arsenal Changes, could use some opinions [Re: Jay R.]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
I agree with CG on the Hy-Road. 4000 is the perfect surface for it. You may want to think about getting 2 of them instead of getting a Cell Pearl. The rest looks good.

#110406 - 12/17/09 02:38 AM Re: Arsenal Changes, could use some opinions [Re: General Pounder]
franz Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 25/male/united states
Now if you feel you need that many balls for different lane conditions go right ahead. For me I only bowl in maybe 1-2 tournaments a year so having 2 balls works just fine.

I have an XS Power I will soon be using that's for Medium to Heavy Oil. Then I also have an older Faball Nail that's good for Light to Medium Conditions. I don't see myself needing a spare ball or needing a pure heavy oil ball. I can use the XS Power as my benchmark ball and my Nail for when I need it such as tournaments when we play 3 games.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - Today at 08:17 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by Dennis Michael - 09/18/18 08:46 AM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 09/12/18 08:37 AM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 09/07/18 04:48 AM
End of Days
by steveA - 09/05/18 04:25 PM
Off-Spot Rule and Pinspotter Operation Question
by BOSStull - 09/01/18 06:43 AM
Anthony Simonsen Gene Carter's Pro Shop Classic
by BowlerBill - 08/24/18 04:27 PM
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by BowlerBill - 08/24/18 04:23 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by wronghander - 08/23/18 11:11 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.