BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110364 - 12/16/09 06:15 PM Well... Here is an updated Video - ijohn83
ijohn83 Offline
4x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 54/male/Palmdale, California U...
Here is a mix of today's practice.

I am working on getting the wrist to work independent of the forearm at home into the chair cushion.

I still run into equator & meridian problems when I start moving from the foul line.

I think my swing plane is better.

…trying to post at the foul line until ball hits pins.
…trying to "c-o-c-k"/ un-"c-o-c-k" at release (not even thinking "cup"/ un-"cup")
…need front leg to bend or something.
…didn't even think of balance arm.

Long way to go, but slowly getting better?

~ John

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#110366 - 12/16/09 06:56 PM Re: Well... Here is an updated Video - ijohn83 [Re: ijohn83]
FTW_GG Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 29/male/maryland
I love how you took practice in small steps.from rolling the ball at home to kneeling down on the lane and slowling moving up to standing position.great idea and your release looks pretty good to me.

#110368 - 12/16/09 07:15 PM Re: Well... Here is an updated Video - ijohn83 [Re: FTW_GG]
ijohn83 Offline
4x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 54/male/Palmdale, California U...
Thanks FT. I should stop at one step until I get that right, but I don't.

~ John

#110370 - 12/16/09 07:43 PM Re: Well... Here is an updated Video - ijohn83 [Re: ijohn83]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
I'm impressed. Just keep working your plan. It seems to be a good one.
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#110373 - 12/16/09 07:54 PM Re: Well... Here is an updated Video - ijohn83 [Re: ijohn83]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Try doing the drill between shots and you might get the feel of it quicker. I like your spare shooting toward the end of the clip, very assertive, no doubt about where the ball was going when it left your hand.

#110375 - 12/16/09 08:10 PM Re: Well... Here is an updated Video - ijohn83 [Re: CoachJim]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
For what it's worth, it looks like your hand position on your spares(at least the washout and 10 pin near the end) is very good for a strike ball release. I noticed the early turn on your strike ball but not on the spare shot, which is what I think you should try to repeat for strikes.

#110387 - 12/16/09 10:03 PM Re: Well... Here is an updated Video - ijohn83 [Re: Jay R.]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
IJohn, I am right there with you, working on a lot of stuff at home. I can not give good advice but just wanted to let you know you have inspired me.

I am a pretty shy person and I go to the alley a lot with the intention of doing the drills you are doing, I do them once or twice and then feel really uncomfortable thinking everyone in the house is starring at me so stop and just bowl normal.

After witnessing for myself the giant steps you are taking with these methods I am determined to follow through with it! So thank you for the inspiration.
Mutant Cell

#110389 - 12/16/09 10:17 PM Re: Well... Here is an updated Video - ijohn83 [Re: Jay R.]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
The shot at 0:40 was good.

Once you added the one step, you started pulling the ball through in the downswing, causing you to turn early.

The shot at 3:05ish shows it very well - your hand is in the perfect position at the top of the swing, but instead of letting the ball pull your hand down, you pull the ball down with your hand.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#110399 - 12/17/09 12:13 AM Re: Well... Here is an updated Video - ijohn83 [Re: Jay R.]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 56/M/Mn
Originally Posted By: Amateur
For what it's worth, it looks like your hand position on your spares(at least the washout and 10 pin near the end) is very good for a strike ball release. I noticed the early turn on your strike ball but not on the spare shot, which is what I think you should try to repeat for strikes.

Saw that too. John, what is your mindset on the spare ball? Are you trying to stay behind it, and come straight through, with no turn? Or are you just letting it go, knowing that the plastic ball isn't going to do anything anyway?

I ask,because when I started the relearning process, my very first goal was get the load/unload part down. I decided to keep my hand behind and under the ball, and snap straight through. No turn. Granted, this did not result in much hook, but it kept me from early turning, and showed the rev potential in that technique.

After getting the feel of the snap, you can then incorporate some turn. Some more good advice from this site, from sk8shorty, stating that if you start inside... at say fingers at 7:00...you actually snap the ball pretty much straight up the back.... still getting 10 degrees or so of rotation.

Try unloading/snapping the ball and keeping your palm facing up right through to post up and pinfall. No turn at all. I think this is the key for you... you need to get your arm/wrist/hand to recognize what that position feels like to break the early turn thing. You can add rotation later.

Another tip that helped me was to think about following through towards the pins, and NOT the ceiling. It allows a more natural roll off of your hand, and makes it less likely that you will hit UP on the ball. This applies to the couch drill as well. Snap the ball, and follow through towards the cushions, and NOT the ceiling. Good luck!

Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#110423 - 12/17/09 07:00 AM Re: Well... Here is an updated Video - ijohn83 [Re: trekguy]
Vini Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/Al
Hi John,

I have been doing myself some of the "Wes Malot" release.

Just like you :
First home than sitting at the foul line than half approach.

One thing that helped me a lot regarding cupping my hand and keeping it cupped. I am not sure if it will help you but give it a try. I will try to explain best as I can.

In your stance, when you are holding the ball in your palm,
try to lift the tip of your middle & ring finger toward your face and fix them in this position.
To do this you (your body) will activate a muscle in your forearm.

If you do it correctly, you will feel some light pressure or pain in the forearm muscles, while you move your arm back and forth.

The idea is: If you can concentrate on this muscle being activated (which forces the top of the finger to be up) your hand will be cupped all the way. At the release point just deactivate this muscle and let go.

It is very hard to do this excercise with the ball on the floor.
My best results came when trying on the lanes.

Actually I came to this idea while trying to feel the ball in my palm while delivering.

Also if you accept my humble advise.
When you release the ball, you are lifting it.
I do the same thing, that's why when I saw the video, I was saying to myself "just like me"
Problem with lift is that - it is difficult to repeat the same way.

Now when I release I really deactivate the muscle in my forearm which un-cups my wrist and make a rotation till my finger are exactly behind the ball and let go.

First time I saw my ball reaction, I thought:
This is how the pros do it !

The ball went dead straight till breakpoint than it was sucked by the pocket.

Hope this helps !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - Yesterday at 11:45 AM
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 10:29 AM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 08:41 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 08/16/18 01:06 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.