BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#109619 - 12/09/09 11:03 PM Re: Ball physics ? cant find the answer to help! [Re: J_w73]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Originally Posted By: J_w73
in that physics scenario.. just one point in space that they touch...no matter the size of the sphere

In a pure analytical geometry scenario, I would agree. But...the question was asked based on physics. There are too many internal and external forces acting on objects, no sphere is perfectly round, no surface is perfectly smooth, no object is perfectly resistant to compression. In fact, if it were possible to enlarge a cue ball to the size of the earth, it would have mountains with higher peaks and valleys with lower depths than imaginable.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#109622 - 12/09/09 11:40 PM Re: Ball physics ? cant find the answer to help! [Re: Joe Bowler]
Leopard11 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 35/M/MD/USA
Originally Posted By: Joe Bowler
Originally Posted By: J_w73
in that physics scenario.. just one point in space that they touch...no matter the size of the sphere

In a pure analytical geometry scenario, I would agree. But...the question was asked based on physics. There are too many internal and external forces acting on objects, no sphere is perfectly round, no surface is perfectly smooth, no object is perfectly resistant to compression. In fact, if it were possible to enlarge a cue ball to the size of the earth, it would have mountains with higher peaks and valleys with lower depths than imaginable.
Wow that is pretty wild. So if a cue was magnified to the size of the earth. The material that makes up a cue balls surface as we see and feel it being smooth in its natural size but have microscopic imperfections (i would assume) that we do not see or feel in its normal size would become amplified if it were to be scaled to the size of the earth?

16lb Columbia Reaction Roll
15lb 900 Global Creature s40
14lb Brunswick Fury Pearl

#109627 - 12/10/09 01:48 AM Re: Ball physics ? cant find the answer to help! [Re: Leopard11]
J.Brown Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 31/Ohio/USA
Quote:
Wow that is pretty wild. So if a cue was magnified to the size of the earth. The material that makes up a cue balls surface as we see and feel it being smooth in its natural size but have microscopic imperfections (i would assume) that we do not see or feel in its normal size would become amplified if it were to be scaled to the size of the earth?

Yup exactly, if you looked at the surface of a cue ball in a microscope it would look like the surface of the moon.

Edited by J.Brown (12/10/09 01:48 AM)

Grape Vibe
Onyx Vibe
T-Road pearl
Tropical Storm

#109631 - 12/10/09 07:54 AM Re: Ball physics ? cant find the answer to help! [Re: J.Brown]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Things that affect surface area contact:

• Lane surface - wood will be softer than synthetics, and different synthetics are softer or harder than others. The softer the material, the greater the contact area.
  • Coverstock hardness - different balls have different durometer ratings, which is the scale used by the USBC to limit how hard or soft a ball can be. Pearl balls tend to be harder than solids. Polyester coverstocks are harder than polyurethane. Some manufacturers intentionally make coverstocks on dry-lane balls harder - this is the case on the Lane Masters Hornet.
  • Coverstock chemistry - I would imagine that a more porous ball would have less actual contact with the lane than a less porous ball, but the contact points for the more porous ball would be spread out over a larger area.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - Today at 03:49 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by Dennis Michael - 04/14/18 04:37 PM
Better Polish
by W9JAB - 04/14/18 09:03 AM
Recommendations requested
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 08:34 AM
It can't come fast enough
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 08:21 AM
Original Gamebreaker
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 07:28 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by Jason_C - 04/09/18 07:08 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by champ - 04/07/18 08:39 PM
A question of degrees
by Fin09 - 04/06/18 01:28 PM
The final cut (Balls in the bag and their job)
by mmalsed - 04/04/18 12:09 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dylan585 - 03/31/18 11:30 PM
12 pound ball?
by Jason_C - 03/30/18 12:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.