BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#109642 - 12/10/09 10:07 AM Re: Anyone wanna sponsor the Tour this year? [Re: Joe Bowler]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Don't remember the actual format, as I was a kid. But, I believe they taped the event, and cut out some of the actual bowling to shorten the program. Showed each bowler through the match getting strikes or picking up splits, and had the final frames for sure.

Of course, there were NO patterns back then. You raise an interesting new wrinkle.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#109650 - 12/10/09 11:11 AM Re: Anyone wanna sponsor the Tour this year? [Re: Dennis Michael]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
The tough thing about this would be getting TV time. That said, if Pirates games get air time, bowling should.

I talked this out to myself in chat, here are some ideas:

If you use 4 bowler teams, 3 game matches, I think you could be done in 2 hours. Use a 7 point system (2 per game, 1 for series). My disorganized 5-man league takes 3 hours on a bad night, and we shoot at more spares than the pros would.

Allow 5-10 minutes between games for strategy, and allow changing of the bowlers/lineup after each game. Team rosters could be 6-8 bowlers. If there were 24 teams in the league, that would employ up to 192 bowlers.

Most pro sports seem to do well with 2 main leagues. That's 12 teams per league. Playing each team in your league 3 times would be 33 matches - 3 matches/week is not unreasonable given the hosting-venue situation I'll mention below, which means 11 weeks of bowling - throw in a "skill challenge break" and you get a 12 week regular season. Top 6 teams from each league go to playoffs - 1 and 2 get byes, 3 goes against 6, 4 goes against
5, winners bowl 1 and 2, then your division championship. That's 3 more weeks. Finally, the PBA Team World Championship, the 16th week - not at all an unreasonably long season.

Now, the hosting/taping of matches is tough. You don't want to have to setup/teardown equipment for each of these matches. So, you could have, say, 6 centers that you rotate through. Centers would only need to provide as much room as a TV final takes - a 32 lane center would probably have at least half of its lanes free at all times. You'd have each division in a different center, and they'd stay at that center for a week. A division would bowl 18 matches in a week - that's 3/day for 6 days. In 11 weeks of regular season bowling, each division would see one center once, and the rest twice.

Another idea for the logistics of bowling would be to have the 3 matches going on at once - you'd only produce ~4 hours of TV per day (2 hours of one division, and 2 of the other), which might be easier to get air time for - possibly even live. This would require 10 lanes, if you wanted to put an empty pair between each match to keep them moving. This way, you also wouldn't have to worry about re-oiling between matches.

Ok, who wants to put up the $$ for it? I'll kick in $5.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#109652 - 12/10/09 11:28 AM Re: Anyone wanna sponsor the Tour this year? [Re: cgeorg]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

cg, send your $5 to me. I'll put it with my $5. Any others?

#109653 - 12/10/09 11:35 AM Re: Anyone wanna sponsor the Tour this year? [Re: cgeorg]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 48/M/Port Townsend, WA
Guys, I have heard of the team format before, although I wasn't yet born when teams like the Tarrytons (Chicago) took on the Budweisers (St. Louis), but I have seen vintage film footage of it, and we still have team bowling today, with events like the PBA Geico Team Challenge at Six Flags, and of course, the Ryder Cup of bowling, the Weber Cup, which is held yearly in the U.K. and televised internationally, which pits team U.S.A. vs. Team Europe. You can find footage (and plenty of it) of the Weber Cup on YouTube to see for yourselves how far team bowling has evolved over the decades.

But getting back to the PBA, yes they do need a wakeup call, perhaps something like I mentioned earlier, well maybe not quite WRW flirting around with Cindy Margolis (I was only kidding about that one), but it does need a major jumpstart as well as a new day and time, perhaps somewhere on the weekdays for the TV Finals (ESPN used to have the live TV shows on either Wednesdays or Thursdays years ago and still drew higher ratings), hey anything but that Sunday time slot they are currently stuck in right now.

Getting back to the team events, they tried that already in MMA, remember the now-defunct IFL (International Fighting League)? It had that idea for team/city-based MMA fighters and it used to air on MyNetwork TV and FSN a couple of years ago but didn't draw either the TV ratings or fan support, and live shows didn't draw fans to the arenas either. Less than 2 years later, it and the IFL, were gone. Defunct. Folded. Out of business.
Where the fans come FIRST!!!

www.BIGHMW.com

#109654 - 12/10/09 11:49 AM Re: Anyone wanna sponsor the Tour this year? [Re: BIGHMW]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

The first thing the PBA has to do is get away from a time slot that pits it against NFL football. Tough to schedule at a time when most TV viewers won't watch it.

#109658 - 12/10/09 12:43 PM Re: Anyone wanna sponsor the Tour this year? [Re: cgeorg]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Originally Posted By: cgeorg
I talked this out to myself in chat, here are some ideas: ... Ok, who wants to put up the $$ for it? I'll kick in $5.

I'm in for $5.

However, I would suggest a longer season which coincides with fall/winter leagues when most people are actively bowling. Also, I was thinking 1 match per week per team, on the weekend, when people are more available to attend or watch the broadcast. I like the idea of 2 major divisions, with 12 teams per division, 24-week regular season means bowling the same team 2 times, then top 6 teams in each division bowl each other for the right to bowl against the champion of the other division in the final matchup.

And, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a 5-man, 1-game match. This would allow 30 minutes of hype before the actual match (while bowlers are introduced to the live fans and begin their warm up session), and another 10 minutes for a recap (while bowlers do interviews, sign autographs, etc.), resulting in an hour-and-a-half broadcast.

For points, I would suggest 2 per head-to-head matchup, 1 for team totals, for max of 11 points. I think the head-to-head matchups would add some drama, and give statisticians one more variable to track - points won per bowler.

For logistics, all of the matches would take place at various locations and times over the course of each weekend, kind of like a traveling league with each team having its own camera crew and announcer.

All it needs now is a catchy name...
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#109660 - 12/10/09 12:57 PM Re: Anyone wanna sponsor the Tour this year? [Re: BIGHMW]
Joe Bowler Offline

Originally Posted By: BIGHMW
Getting back to the team events, they tried that already in MMA, remember the now-defunct IFL (International Fighting League)? It had that idea for team/city-based MMA fighters and it used to air on MyNetwork TV and FSN a couple of years ago but didn't draw either the TV ratings or fan support, and live shows didn't draw fans to the arenas either. Less than 2 years later, it and the IFL, were gone. Defunct. Folded. Out of business.

I don't think MMA lends itself as easily to team competition as bowling. But, put all of the fighters from both teams in the ring/octagon at the same time, and it may have broken TV ratings records, along with a few bones I am sure. smile

#109661 - 12/10/09 01:11 PM Re: Anyone wanna sponsor the Tour this year? [Re: Joe Bowler]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

Originally Posted By: Joe Bowler
I don't think MMA lends itself as easily to team competition as bowling. But, put all of the fighters from both teams in the ring/octagon at the same time, and it may have broken TV ratings records, along with a few bones I am sure. smile

They already have had that in pro wrestling for decades. It's called a Battle Royal, in which the rules are simple, to be eliminated a fighter must be thrown over the top rope with both feet (not one) touching the floor below. Perhaps you should order the WWE Royal Rumble, in which 30 superstars will participate in.

2 men start the match, then every 90 seconds another will enter the ring until all 30 have entered. Same battle royal rules apply, with the winner guaranteed a title shot in the main event at WrestleMania (to be held this year at the University Of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, AZ, just outside Phoenix) against the champion of his choice (either the WWE Champion or the World Heavyweight Champion).

www.BIGHMW.com

#109665 - 12/10/09 02:01 PM Re: Anyone wanna sponsor the Tour this year? [Re: BIGHMW]
Joe Bowler Offline

I haven't watched wrestling in years, but I remember the Battle Royals. I think it was the "Undertaker" who tended to be the odds-on favorite. Still, they were not team events, they were more of a survival of the fittest competition.

#109680 - 12/10/09 05:48 PM Re: Anyone wanna sponsor the Tour this year? [Re: Joe Bowler]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

Originally Posted By: Joe Bowler
I haven't watched wrestling in years, but I remember the Battle Royals. I think it was the "Undertaker" who tended to be the odds-on favorite. Still, they were not team events, they were more of a survival of the fittest competition.

I haven't watched watched it on a solid basis since 2005, the in-between match storylines got too out of hand for me. As for the Battle Royal itself, the true King of The Battle Royals for years was the late great Andre The Giant, standing at 7'5" tall, and 520 lbs, and in his day, there were 20 participants all in the ring at once, it became pretty much an impromptu mosh pit in that squared circle, but Andre somehow, some way persevered through all of it. Some pretty good script writing to make it an unpredictable event, and very highly entertaining.

As for the Undertaker himself, he is currently undefeated at WrestleMania, going an incredible 18-0 over the years in that sports entertainment spectacular, his most recent victim of this incredible streak was none other than HBK (the HeartBreak Kid) himself (and public enemy #1 in Canada and especially in Montreal, Quebec after the 1997 Survivor Series), Shawn Michaels.

www.BIGHMW.com

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.