BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#109135 - 12/04/09 08:01 AM Why Interchangeable Thumb Slugs sucks? :(
KahKiat Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: Male, Singapore

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#109141 - 12/04/09 08:53 AM Re: Why Interchangeable Thumb Slugs sucks? :( [Re: KahKiat]
t_brian_r Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 35/M/Virginia
I would say thatís another reason that Chris Barnes sucks on television. He canít even get his equipment to hold together.

Over

#109186 - 12/04/09 07:50 PM Re: Why Interchangeable Thumb Slugs sucks? :( [Re: t_brian_r]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
The look on his face at 1:20 is priceless.

I have not heard of the exchangable thumb inserts coming out that like, breaking yes, many many times. Perhaps that's what they mean by breaking the grip lock part breaks? However its not clear to me if it was and exchangable insert. If a regular slug had come out it would have looked the same, but then Barnes wouldn't have been fishing around at the bottom of his thumb hole.

Erin

#109208 - 12/05/09 12:07 AM Re: Why Interchangeable Thumb Slugs sucks? :( [Re: Atochabsh]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 48/M/Port Townsend, WA
Well, if that is that major of a problem with interchangeable thumb slugs, I want no part of it, thanks. I am already struggling to barely bowl 100-120/game when I hit league (while getting into too many bad habits in my game), and adding something else like that will only make my game even worse.

15 years ago I used to carry around a 145-150 average/year and bowl both 200+ games and 500+ series on more than a few occasions per year, and right now I am struggling to get a 400 aeries, and messing with stuff like this will only make it worse, and I was actually considering getting my equipment fitted with a system for them, but after seeing Chris Barnes have this happen to him (and he has had enough problems and bad breaks on TV, but here no pun intended), I say no thanks, I'll stick to either regular thumb slugs and/or just a natural thumb hole.
Where the fans come FIRST!!!

www.BIGHMW.com

#109223 - 12/05/09 03:00 AM Re: Why Interchangeable Thumb Slugs sucks? :( [Re: BIGHMW]
J.Brown Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 31/Ohio/USA
I've seen quite a few ppl. using them and nothin like that has happened. Not saying it wouldn't ever but there's a possiblity that anything could happen. Finger grip pops out, thumb slug pops out or in this case the interchangable thumb slug pops out.

Grape Vibe
Onyx Vibe
T-Road pearl
Tropical Storm

#109229 - 12/05/09 06:33 AM Re: Why Interchangeable Thumb Slugs sucks? :( [Re: J.Brown]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Look at the amount of games Chris Barnes puts on a bowling ball in a week, and then the amount of games with the insert he uses the most. Something is bound to happen.

I also believe that one only needs to invest in a system like that if the bowler has a huge fluctuation of thumb size. Be it the change of seasons or even something during the course of a night. Many times a slightly larger hole and adding and removing tape as needed will work.

I've also had a regular thumb slug come loose mid-release. It stayed in the ball but could spin in the hole, one too many times having a slug drilled out and I believe probably at different pitches open the original hole up too much.
HS:763

#109236 - 12/05/09 08:02 AM Re: Why Interchangeable Thumb Slugs sucks? :( [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I've seen an I/C thumb come out, and it was in match play of a tournament. Cost that guy the game, too. He got a 0 on a double and a final 8 count for the open. 22 pin swing on 1 ball because of his thumb.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#109239 - 12/05/09 08:36 AM Re: Why Interchangeable Thumb Slugs sucks? :( [Re: Dennis Michael]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I too, don't really see a need for it, for most bowlers. My thumb has a mind of its own and I don't see a need for it. I adjust my thumb hole with tape and don't really have a problem doing so. I don't use different pitches in my thumb to warrent using interchangable thumb inserts for that purpose.

I see some of the higher level teenagers wanting to use it, but I honestly think of it more as a gimick.

Like Cal, I had one regular slug/oval insert come out. On my spare ball. But at least I got the spare and when it came back on the ball return I noticed it immediately.

BIGHMW, let us know what you are struggling most with. For you, thumb insert, interchangable or not is probably not going to be the most help.

Erin

#109259 - 12/05/09 01:48 PM Re: Why Interchangeable Thumb Slugs sucks? :( [Re: Atochabsh]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
There are different companies making the removable thumbs, some designs are better than others. Turbo's Switch Grip's are known to break, the locking tabs in the outer sleeve jut snap off. Vise' IT system is better than that and I haven't seen any problems with those in my times at the center. If I was getting a removable thumb slug I would be going with the IT, much more reliable.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#109266 - 12/05/09 02:12 PM Re: Why Interchangeable Thumb Slugs sucks? :( [Re: sk8shorty01]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
All systems are fallible including the IT. I know of two occurrences in a vary short time that bowlers had an issue with the Vise version. The slug didn't come out but something on the bottom of the slug dealing with the lock snapped. The slug would spin but wouldn't come out. Turbo went back and made some changes when they started to have multiple failures.
HS:763

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Fin09 - 12/14/18 11:31 AM
New Pro Shop Near My House
by Mkirchie - 11/26/18 05:05 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by spr3wr - 11/24/18 08:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all
by djp1080 - 11/22/18 10:49 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.