BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#108214 - 11/20/09 01:52 PM Statistically avoiding splits
Leopard11 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 35/M/MD/USA
As a right handed bowler, I was wondering what part of the lane is statistically the best played to avoiding splits. I would think that releasing from 15-5 and having a strong hook with good backend would be. I would think releasing 20-39 and having arch out and roll back into the pocket would statistically open your shot up for more splits(if slight misthaps occur)What is the best statistically?

16lb Columbia Reaction Roll
15lb 900 Global Creature s40
14lb Brunswick Fury Pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#108221 - 11/20/09 03:30 PM Re: Statistically avoiding splits [Re: Leopard11]
mikhial66 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 20/M/FL
I would say that the bigger your entry angle, the more likelihood of splitting, regardless of what your line is.
Python
Midnight Vibe
T-Zone (Spare)
Copperhead(THS Ball)

#108222 - 11/20/09 03:31 PM Re: Statistically avoiding splits [Re: Leopard11]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
There is no statistically better area of the lane because of the different types of surfaces, oil patterns, weather conditions, ball choice, rev rate, drilling, speed, and so forth.

The object is to get the ball to face up in the pocket and to reach 6 degrees of entry angle in order to establish the highest carry percentage. How you get to that 6 degrees is up to you, and the ball.

Missing by a board means that you are missing by slightly greater than an inch at 15 feet, that translates to about 4 inches off by the time it gets to the pin deck. That four inches is only altered by the amount of oil you encounter. If you were bowling on a pattern that was completely flat that 4 inch number would be the same no matter what board you were looking at on the lane. As the the pattern "walls up" (more oil inside less outside) there is a comfort area that gives your ball and release the most miss room. That tends to be standing in a location that allows the ball to get between 13-9 at the arrows and gets out to about 7 at the break point. The more inside, or outside of that area you get the smaller your window of miss room can become.

I cannot find anything that would venture me to believe that there is a specific area of the lane you can play that decreases your chance of a split no matter what you are bowling on. Every pattern has an area that is the best area to play for you, thats what makes bowling fun week in and week out. Each pattern plays differently and there is no "best" place to stand across the board.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#108233 - 11/20/09 09:22 PM Re: Statistically avoiding splits [Re: Leopard11]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
As a general rule, the more boards you cover with the ball the higher your chance is for leaving a split. The reason is there is more of a chance of you missing the pocket when crossing more boards because of hook out, over hook and under hook you will leave a larger number of splits if you miss the pocket.

#108235 - 11/20/09 09:53 PM Re: Statistically avoiding splits [Re: CoachJim]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I'm with SK. If you are accurate then your chances of splitting are less. If you add accuracy to the ability to read lanes and move when lane transition starts then your chances of splitting are minimal.

So I would suggest first working and paying attention to accuracy. Not just hooking the ball or an "area" or throw it harder or slower. Just accuracy. Hit what you are aiming at or at least close to it consistently.

Some lane conditions are prone to split difficulty. Dry dry lanes, no hold area, no oil on the inside all make it difficult to stay in the pocket. If that's what you see on a regular basis and you believe yourself to be fairly accurate then it might be time for a different center, or accept the lower scoring pace of the center you are in.

Erin

#108239 - 11/20/09 10:40 PM Re: Statistically avoiding splits [Re: Atochabsh]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
My experience:

I had to abandon a release because it always seemed to leave a split if it didn't strike. It was about 60*-80* axis tilt and 20-30* axis rotation, the best I can recall, and I hooked it on the inside line.

I think the combination of angle of entry to the pocket and angular momentum in the ball caused the pins to fly different paths than they would have with more forward roll.

The above probably wouldn't apply to anyone using other releases, of course.

The thing I would say that's relevant to you guys is this:
- If you throw the ball and it hits the pocket and leaves a split, don't do that again. Move left or right, and make a note for future reference.
- If you left a split due to a wayward shot, then remember the bowler's motto - split happens. You will have to be more accurate next time.

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#108254 - 11/21/09 05:38 AM Re: Statistically avoiding splits [Re: CoachJim]
J.Brown Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 31/Ohio/USA
I'm with CoachJim on this. My dad always told me the less boards you cover the better chance you have of leaving something easier to pick up. Not always though haha but i don't play a down an in shot and i leave some weird looking splits sometimes.

Grape Vibe
Onyx Vibe
T-Road pearl
Tropical Storm

#108390 - 11/23/09 10:48 AM Re: Statistically avoiding splits [Re: J.Brown]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Its true that the less boards you cover the easier it is to stay in play, however if that down and in shot is taken away from you because of the oil pattern or lane condition, that is not the best alignment in order to avoid splits. If you are trying to "force" an area to work, thats when you run into trouble. The object is to play as straight as you can based on the pattern and what you are seeing in front of you. For instance, on the fresh THS at my local center I can play anywhere from about 5 to 20 at the arrows and consistently hit the pocket with simple adjustments, I typically try to stay in the track area however because it is the most prone to staying clean. I could hook it and cover a ton of boards but why do it if you don't need to?

The best chance of not leaving a split is to play as straight as you can comfortably. Don't try to play so straight you have a hard time repeating shots and don't try to play coast to coast, a relaxed shot is the shot that doesn't leave splits.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Fin09 - 12/14/18 11:31 AM
New Pro Shop Near My House
by Mkirchie - 11/26/18 05:05 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by spr3wr - 11/24/18 08:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all
by djp1080 - 11/22/18 10:49 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.