BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#107554 - 11/12/09 08:19 PM anyone ever do virtual tournaments?
sharnothegreat Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 25/m/FL
i stumbled across a virtual tournament website when my league posted the scores to league secretary and it seems pretty cool. has anyone tried these before? im also going to be joining my very first real tournament in december, its a handicap tournament that i think with my low average i can do well.

well thanks for any info

arsenal:
Hammer-Raw Hammer ACID
Brunswick-Zone spare

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#107565 - 11/12/09 09:57 PM Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? [Re: sharnothegreat]
leftykev Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Spokane, WA
Originally Posted By: sharnothegreat
i stumbled across a virtual tournament website when my league posted the scores to league secretary and it seems pretty cool. has anyone tried these before? im also going to be joining my very first real tournament in december, its a handicap tournament that i think with my low average i can do well.

I've used virtualtournaments.com, and have cashed on a regular basis. But, the apparent advantage you get by getting to bowl at your house and best/favorite league is not really an advantage, since the other bowlers on the site get the same advantage. Why is this important? Well, if you bowl in a house with an east shot, then great, but if you bowl in a lower scoring house, then you are at a disadvantage, since there will be guys like me, who enter these online tournaments because I bowl in high scoring house.

Anyway, take a look at the scores for past and current tournaments, and decide for yourself. Also, price wise, it will be cheaper then entering a local tournament.

Lastly, that's why they call it gambling!

#107575 - 11/12/09 10:49 PM Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? [Re: leftykev]
sharnothegreat Offline
Bracket Donor

yeah i have looked at some of the past tournaments, and i think i could do well with how i bowl. so i joined up for next week, bad part is my league doesnt upload our scores until weeks later, so i have to manually get the recap and fax it off.

arsenal:
Hammer-Raw Hammer ACID
Brunswick-Zone spare

#107581 - 11/12/09 11:25 PM Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? [Re: sharnothegreat]
Vic44 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 51/ Male/ Colorado Springs CO
Interesting concept, but the house flavor shot of the moment would make it a bit harder for me to accept my placement.

Career HG: 300 (3)
Career HS: 772
Career High Avg(09-10) 217.
15-16 Avg: 189

Last year? Not pretty. No high scores worth posting from 15-16. But good times ahead. smile

#107582 - 11/12/09 11:46 PM Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? [Re: Vic44]
sharnothegreat Offline
Bracket Donor

yeah im new to the game so i dont know any other houses.

Leftykev since you have played before how does it work? my avg for the league after last night will probably be 153 so that means i will be placed in the under 169 division right? even if i bowl over that avg that night ?

arsenal:
Hammer-Raw Hammer ACID
Brunswick-Zone spare

#107585 - 11/13/09 01:23 AM Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? [Re: sharnothegreat]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
If you didn't bowl last year and don't have a book average I believe you have to have 24 games or so before you can participate. I'm sure that's not a problem unless your league started really late. Then they will take your current average and whatever it is as of Monday that the tournament starts is what will be used. If it's below 169 then that's the division you will be in, and handicap is based on 90% of the highest entering average in your division.

I have not done any of the tournaments but I'm pretty caught up on the rules. My advice is if you do it, at least do the eliminator pot as well. Make sure to look at scores from past tournaments to get a feel for what you might have to bowl in order to cash.

#107665 - 11/13/09 08:23 PM Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? [Re: Jay R.]
sharnothegreat Offline
Bracket Donor

yeah i have 24 games so far, and i will definately be below 169 since my avg is only 150 but i think it will be 153 after this weeks good night gets calculated in. i signed up for next week but did not do the eliminator just cuz i didnt want to spend anymore money, but since you say i should, could you elaborate as to why just so i can learn. also i feel like i could do really well if i can bowl like i did this past wed. i shot a 550 series so plus my HC which on the low side it could be 11 each game i could have a 583 which would have won a few of the tourneys i checked. im excited, i just hope i can continue with my decent bowling.

arsenal:
Hammer-Raw Hammer ACID
Brunswick-Zone spare

#107671 - 11/13/09 09:59 PM Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? [Re: sharnothegreat]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
I only say to do the eliminator because it's the easiest thing to cash in, I hear. The brackets and the tournament itself might be more challenging but if you do well in all your games the odds are pretty good.

#107677 - 11/13/09 11:22 PM Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? [Re: Jay R.]
lewtrek Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: Chicago
how do these actually work? If i'm in a usbc league can i join a virtual tournament individually? Or does the league have to be in some sort of virtual-bowling network?

#107678 - 11/14/09 12:16 AM Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? [Re: lewtrek]
sharnothegreat Offline
Bracket Donor

you can join but you just have to manually get the copies and send them in a fax to the people. if your league uploads the scrores to league secretary it makes it easier for you but no big deal. just go to the website and check it out

arsenal:
Hammer-Raw Hammer ACID
Brunswick-Zone spare

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
2019 USBC Open Championship's Las Vegas
by wronghander - 05/23/19 02:15 AM
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 05/17/19 09:17 PM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/13/19 02:12 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.