BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#122396 - 03/16/10 08:39 AM Re: Bowled my first 200! [Re: Smooth Lefty]
Hooker Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 32/M/Canton/Ludington/MI
Originally Posted By: Smooth Lefty
Cool. Honestly, it's never too late to start. People comment me on my smooth form and release all the time, but yet I still have room to improve. I am averaging about 170 in both high school and league, and this is my first year starting. I have come a long way. Next year, I am determined to go to state for high school!! No one can ever know how much love and passion I have for this sport. Oh yea, I always watch people and I love watching others that are better than me cause that's my motivation. Here's one scenario, me and this older guy were bowling together. he is like my coach and mentor type person, cause I practically know the whole bowling alley, they say I pretty much live there. So we start off striking in the first three frames, I kept my composure, and showed my sportsmanship. We both kept battling it out, strike after strike, until I choked. The ball ended up hitting my leg, and being a gutter, but I picked up my spare and shot a 244 to his 279. We threw the first 6 or 7 strikes. So I just wanted to share with you that, potential lies within us and we just have to believe in ourselves. Everyone knows that I love bowling, and I bowl pretty well. So yea, someday, whatever the future holds for me, I might become a PBA bowler, who knows. A bit long, but thanks for reading.

Smooth you keep it rollin!!!! Keep that fire and that dream going. You start bowling really well, you get into college at a good school with a bowling team and work toward getting your education paid for(scholarship) and then shoot for the PBA tour!!!! A friend of mine just got accepted to SVSU on a bowling scholarship...he is 21, and has bowled in PBA regional events and has aspirations of going into the PBA and being exempt. He avgs 236 on house shots and a staggering 221 on PBAX/Sport Shot patterns. Keep on practicing and working hard and you will achieve your goals. Good Luck!!!!!

Current
AVG: 203 161
LHG: 249 167
LHS: 610 484

Book Avg: 171 (2010/11)
Career HG: 258 USBC
Career HS: 629 USBC
Year began bowling: Fall 2008

Storm HyRoad
Storm Street Rod Pearl
Storm Tropical Storm
Columbia 300 WD

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#122431 - 03/16/10 03:02 PM Re: Bowled my first 200! [Re: Hooker]
Smooth Lefty Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 17 M USA
Yea thanks man! I will! laugh
I have a question for you. To get to the PBA tour, what steps should I take now to get there?

Storm Virtual Gravity Nano #15
Storm Virtual Gravity Nano Pearl #15
Storm Sync #15
Hammer Vibe 15#
Roto Grip Cell Pearl 15#
Roto Grip Mutant Cell 15#
Brunswick C(System) 3.5 15#
Brunswick C(System) 4.5 15#
Hammer Axe Spare Ball 15#

#122436 - 03/16/10 04:37 PM Re: Bowled my first 200! [Re: Smooth Lefty]
Reconbbs Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 21/Male/York Pennsylvania
I'll chime in and say a lot of practice and coaching. You have to realize the odds of making it to the PBA and being successful is very small. Hell I average 220 on a house shot and around 190 on a PBA shot. That's no where close to being good enough to compete in the PBA. I'm not trying to discourage you from your dreams but I'm just warning you. You will have to put your heart into bowling in order to make. Start bowling on sport shots. When you start shooting 200 plus on sport shots consistently then you got a shot.

Hammer Black Widow Bite
DV8 Misfit
DV8 Reckless
Visionary AMB Centaur

High Game-300x2
High Series-836

Fall League Averages
Tuesday 234
Thursday 225

#122466 - 03/16/10 11:25 PM Re: Bowled my first 200! [Re: Reconbbs]
Fpurhe Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 20/M
I know some guys that will be in the pba. One kid a Jr. in high school has the best form I have ever seen I really think you guys would be in complete shock to see him bowl. Never bowled a perfect game, but he averages I believe 225 or more. Another kid not quite as good but still a beast that averaged like 220. He bowled a perfect game more then one time. To compete on the pba tour you will need to never miss. Never leave opens, never miss your mark. On a house shot you can get away with a few bad shots on a sport shot you probably won't. Look at WRWJ(my personal favorite) he never leaves an open. NEVER.

#122481 - 03/17/10 02:14 AM Re: Bowled my first 200! [Re: Fpurhe]
Smooth Lefty Offline
High Roller

Okay. I get what you all are saying. I put my heart into bowling everytime I bowl and even off the lanes. I know before I leave this earth, I will give it a shot, because I feel I have it in me. I am going to bowl on a sport shot league this summer, and a couple of other leagues, work at the house down the street from me, and set my goals and just let the ball do the work.

Storm Sync #15
Hammer Vibe 15#
Roto Grip Cell Pearl 15#

#122499 - 03/17/10 07:33 AM Re: Bowled my first 200! [Re: Smooth Lefty]
Hooker Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 32/M/Canton/Ludington/MI
What is your average? I had spoke with some people regarding bowling in Sport Shots/PBAX Leagues and I was told that it can really screw your game up if you bounce back and forth from house patterns to these patterns. Beacause you can develop bad habits crossing over in patterns. What you would do in a PBAX League to strike and spare you won't do the same thing on a house shot. If you goal is making the PBA some day....then ditch bowling on house shots and only bowl in leagues and tournaments that lay Sport Shot/PBA patterns out. Also, whatever you average in a house league, knock 20-40 pins off your average and thats right around were you will be avg wise in a PBAX League until you become experienced on the patterns and make the proper adjustments. Its not impossible, but it will take a lot of hard work and dedication.

My buddy who I spoke of in the above post is just a genetic freak when it comes to bowling. He is one of those naturals. Smooth, graceful and very powerful. He practices about 50 games a week at different houses and pays them to lay down tournament, sport and PBA patterns for him. He throws hard and has a very high rev rate which allows him to bowl well on these patterns. He strikes all the time its seems. He has several 300 games on PBA patterns and has converted the Big 4 and 7/10 split quite a few times(in my prescence.) He never leaves any opens which I think is the big key to his success. He is a great spare shooter. He was one of those people that did not have a hard adjustment period bouncing back and forth between house and PBA patterns. He never really developed bad habits from it like I had mentioned a lot of people do. He also brings at least 12 bowling balls to bowl with at practice, leagues and tournaments. He understands lane transition and ball coverstocks, cores and drilling layouts. He just knows the complete aspect of the game, on the lanes and in the Pro Shop. Even his PBAX League average is lower than his house average by 15 pins. Believe it or not, he actually has placed 2nd in a couple of PBAX leagues because someone atually averaged higher than him(his PBAX avg is 221)

Look at exempt bowlers like Jeff Carter who is up and coming and a young fellow from my area too...John Nolen. They both had previously bowled in as many major regional and state tournaments with the best of the best. Jeff was a natural too and is still establishing himself on tour as is John and both have tour titles from last year. Jeff is still the current USBC record holder with the highest season average at 261.7 Get into these tournaments, local, state and regional. That will help your game and confidence also bowling against the best.

All in all, keep your head up and eyes on the prize. Listen tot he experienced bowlers around you and go with your heart. You will succeed.

Also as a note...I am not sure, I'd have to check into it but if you decided to bowl in collge for a school, you are not allowed to participate in any PBA events until you graduate and or no longer bowl for that college's bowling team.

Edited by Hooker (03/17/10 07:57 AM)

Current
AVG: 203 161
LHG: 249 167
LHS: 610 484

Book Avg: 171 (2010/11)
Career HG: 258 USBC
Career HS: 629 USBC
Year began bowling: Fall 2008

Storm HyRoad
Storm Street Rod Pearl
Storm Tropical Storm
Columbia 300 WD

#122615 - 03/17/10 10:17 PM Re: Bowled my first 200! [Re: Hooker]
Smooth Lefty Offline
High Roller

Oh okay I see. My average right now, since this is my first year starting is around, 170, and still climbing. But I am willing to put everything in to increase my chances and my possibilities.

Storm Sync #15
Hammer Vibe 15#
Roto Grip Cell Pearl 15#

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 08/15/19 08:37 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Dennis Michael - 08/13/19 07:06 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 08/10/19 10:03 AM
PBA 2 Game Formats and Roll-Offs (No Spoilers)
by champ - 07/22/19 05:30 PM
Tips to get back to a semi-roller release?
by djp1080 - 07/21/19 07:26 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.