BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#107439 - 11/11/09 05:10 PM bowling league
marc515151 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 23/m/uk
Hello,

This is my first post so hello and nice to meet you all.

I work in a bowling alley and am currenty running a league under advice from the owner.

At the minute its just a handful of new bowlers so they are not getting any high scores and its just a bit of fun but i need help in how you feel the handicaps should be added.

At present i take the 3 games and divide by 3 to get the average.
I then just compare the average to a list of scores to which have handicaps beside them.

I then take there total score + the handicap value.

My question is, should the handicap be for each game?
total score + (handicap x 3)
or
total score + handicap

Many Thanks,
Marc

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#107440 - 11/11/09 05:23 PM Re: bowling league [Re: marc515151]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Well first of all things, welcome to the site.

Now for the meat and potatoes portion. Average should be the average of total pins knocked down divided by total games. It should be cumulative. So say if the league is 4 weeks in and 3 games are bowled each night that's 12 games of scores that should be used to figure up an average. Handicap for the fifth week would then be based on the average from the previous 4 weeks. The handicap figured up according to that average is per a game so the handicap should be added to the individual game scores such as Game 1 score + handicap, Game 2 score +handicap and Game 3 score+ handicap. Unless wins/losses are only based on total and then it would be total score+(handicapx3).
HS:763

#107525 - 11/12/09 02:22 PM Re: bowling league [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I agree with Cal, and I will also add that I believe the best option to handicapping is to take the two teams averages (for sake of arguement lets say 600 and 500) and give the lower average team 90% of the difference in averages. Therefore the lower average team would be given 90 pins per game, and that would total out to be given 270 for the three game set for total wood.

That seems to work out well in every league I have bowled in that has used it. There are other options, I just find that one to keep as many people as possible happy and from complaining about something.
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#107584 - 11/13/09 01:11 AM Re: bowling league [Re: sk8shorty01]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
The most common ways of doing it are 1. as sk has described.
Or 2. each bowler gets an individual handicap derived off a percentage (like 90%} off a number that is higher then the highest bowler's aveage (say 210). Then each handicap is added up and that't the team's handicap for the night.

The biggest variable is the percentage you calculate. WHen I was a Jr., it was 66 2/3rds. Then it went to 75, then 80, now its commonly 90%, with some leagues even going to 100%. Problem with 100% is that you will lose all your higher level bowlers, it promotes sandbagging and does not reward any effort to get better. So 90% seems to be a good compromise for all skill levels, IMO.

Erin

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 09:16 PM
Bowled a few games at South Point in Las Vegas
by goobee - 09/03/20 04:38 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.