BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#107305 - 11/10/09 11:52 AM Roll the Dice
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
just posting 'cause I like to talk, so ignore if you like....
Decided not to steal iJohn's thread...

Also, I am not recommending that anyone do the same as me, This is simply how I get my jollies. One shot bores me.

I name all my releases and balls. Once had a release I called "roll the dice". It took no effort, got a good hook without too many revs, very dependable. I used a semi-firm wrist, came around the side, let the ball do its thing. In the follow-through, my hand was pointed at the target.

When I added the pinkie hole, that release changed a little, and I renamed it "Art Sr." in honor of the name that was on the used ball that caused it (it fit me without re-drilling, and had the pinkie hole in it). This release doesn't allow me to muscle the release, which I like to do. Very dependable and aim-able.

My releases, if anyone cares:
Art Sr. (firm wrist, thumb at 12 o'clock, wrist rotates around the ball)
Drop off 45* (cupped or firm wrist, thumb between 10 and 11 o'clock)
Drop off 90* (firm wrist, thumb at 9 o'clock)(takes muscle to hold the wrist firm as the ball drops off the fingers. if you don't keep it firm, you'll get a spinner....)
Drop off with mid-roll (cupped wrist; 45* axis rotation, 45* axis tilt) (Go Long and Prosper)(actually, this one has the most hook, and it hooks starting at the mid-lane)
Waggle (firm wrist, some axis tilt) (my feeble attempt at a pro release like Barnes, Fagan - finger pointed at the floor (c*cked wrist), unc*ck at the point of release. I can't add the re-cupping yet that gives the pros the max revs)
Texas Twister (my name for helicopter)(limp wrist)
Firm Wrist Make a Fist (firm wrist, thumb at 11 o'clock, make a fist after thumb is out)
Limp Wrist Make a Fist (limp wrist, thumb at 11 o'clock, make a fist after thumb is out)
Limp wristed over-the-top (privately known as lame-ass, but since my wife beats me with this release, the public name is cleaned up)
Stroker (firm wrist, thumb at 11 o'clock, no hitting up)
Half-Wrap (firm wrist, some axis tilt. wrist rotates around the ball, then comes up the side) (looks a lot like Parker Bohn III or Mike Scroggins)
Planetary Rotation (limp wrist, 70-80* axis tilt,looks like the earth on its axis. Goes the longest - for use only on lanes that are dried and fried)
Flip (cupped wrist, shortened swing (by way of bending the elbow at the point of release) and hitting up, similar to Ryan Shaffer. High revs, and I used to score 20 points higher with this than with any of the others. But too much stress on the tendons, so I don't use it much any more.)
unnamed straight shot for spares (ball doesn't rotate until it leaves the oil) (limp wrist)

Someday I'll tape them all. Anticipating a few questions:

No, I don't want to stick to only one release and raise my average.
No, I don't get them confused.
Yes, I do have several PAPs.

Jeez, I do have a lot of free time. Spent over an hour writing this post.
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#107324 - 11/10/09 01:33 PM Re: Roll the Dice [Re: 10PinGaloot]
ijohn83 Offline
4x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 54/male/Palmdale, California U...
What are the ranges of your PAPs?

#107330 - 11/10/09 01:46 PM Re: Roll the Dice [Re: ijohn83]
ijohn83 Offline
4x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 54/male/Palmdale, California U...
I guess my follow-up question is going to be: When I have my PAP checked before I drill my new ball, whould you recomend having it checked on my spare ball or strike ball?

~ John

#107337 - 11/10/09 02:32 PM Re: Roll the Dice [Re: ijohn83]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Originally Posted By: ijohn83
I guess my follow-up question is going to be: When I have my PAP checked before I drill my new ball, whould you recomend having it checked on my spare ball or strike ball?

~ John

I say spare ball, not only because of the flare but also because it seems you throw that ball better than when you attempt to strike.
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#107345 - 11/10/09 04:02 PM Re: Roll the Dice [Re: sk8shorty01]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
I've never measured my PAPs, but they would vary with the axis tilt.

Sorry I posted this in videos. It was originally just a comment on iJohn's topic.

Forgot one:
Wichita used to be called the yoyo (cupped wrist uncups at the release and applies forward roll over the top of the ball)
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.