BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#107222 - 11/09/09 04:51 PM PBA Reality TV?
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Just wondering how many folks caught the PBA Cheetah Championship on TV this weekend, and if you liked the "reality TV" approach to the coverage?

My take is it will draw a wider audience. That's pretty much how I became a UFC fan, by getting hooked on the Ultimate Fighter TV show, which featured day-by-day coverage of several fighters training and competing for a contract with the UFC.

If the new approach catches on, I think it will be good for bowling.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#107230 - 11/09/09 06:00 PM Re: PBA Reality TV? [Re: Joe Bowler]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I had DVRed it as I was taking advantage of the warm sunny day to clean my truck up some and fix something on my mothers car. I started to watch it in between cleaning the truck and doing the car and forgot to pause it when I went out to mess with the car. I didn't attempt to go back and watch it again. It just didn't appeal to me, reality TV never did. I mean it's nice to know how things went during the week but it doesn't hold my attention.
HS:763

#107232 - 11/09/09 06:10 PM Re: PBA Reality TV? [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
Yeah apparently it wasn't very well liked, it got a little boring. But it did have it's interesting points, such as the comments about PBAX Leagues, THS, and what the pros bowl on.

#107236 - 11/09/09 06:33 PM Re: PBA Reality TV? [Re: Jay R.]
Time-To-Roll Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: female, Port Angeles Wa. right...
Yes, I watched it and thought it was great. ***** entertainment. It was all about the reality of bowling on every level. Norms win over the very talented Ciminelli was awesome. I am not sure the general public really understands the subtle adjustments required to keep the strikes falling.
Those darn 7 pins that were killing the lefty, we all know about those. Randy mentioned at the end the underlying cause was the carry down? Such a variety of great bowling. thumbsup
Time To Roll

#107240 - 11/09/09 08:00 PM Re: PBA Reality TV? [Re: Time-To-Roll]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
There were definitely some interesting things you would not normally see in a typical broadcast like the struggles of the guys who did not make it, i.e, scenes like Chris Barnes punching a chair after getting swept 4 in a row. Brian Voss was impressive in his return on a "golden parachute" exemption. His buddy, Norm Duke, proved once again what a great bowler he is, not only physically, but mentally. The turning point coming when it was announced he was down 42 pins. He stopped and said loud enough for the crowd to hear, "Down how many pins?" Everybody laughed, and he proceeded to become a striking machine for the rest of the match. But, overall, I thought Ciminelli stole the show. I hope he persists and gains his exemption.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#107242 - 11/09/09 09:34 PM Re: PBA Reality TV? [Re: Joe Bowler]
Justinmill14 Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 18/male/Tennessee
I somewhat liked it. I liked the first part of it a lot. I just didn't really care for how the title match went and how it was covered.

I think they should do everything the same except keep the title match how it used to always be on Sundays.
Cell Pearl
Furious
Reign
Natural
Hammer Onyx Vibe
Columbia 300 Outburst

#107246 - 11/09/09 09:57 PM Re: PBA Reality TV? [Re: Justinmill14]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I felt bad for Ciminelli, he got hosed imo because he normally would have only had to bowl one game for the championship, which he won by the way, very few people can touch Norm Duke in a 7 game match. It was sick watching the light bulb come on over his head when he said "I'm down by how much?", then he runs the table on Ciminelli who should have been back in his hotel room with his over sized check and trophy, that is if it was any other week.

#107250 - 11/09/09 10:22 PM Re: PBA Reality TV? [Re: CoachJim]
beefers1 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 24/M/British Columbia
I liked it overall, especially the first part. I felt that there should've been more "behind-the-scenes" footage, though, since most of it was still on-lane.

#107285 - 11/10/09 07:59 AM Re: PBA Reality TV? [Re: beefers1]
Handful Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 32/male/St Pete, FL/ usa
I really liked the format and hope they do more like it. And not just for the viewers but I think the bowlers would prefer. The normal TV show is nothing like the rest of the week. Why have a best of 7 matches all week then a one game coin flip at the end of the tournament to figure out the winner. A one game match on TV is pretty much a crapshoot for pro bowlers and doesn't really reward the best bowler that week. Granted Cimminelli bowled very well that week but so did Duke. This just seemed to be more consistent with what had been going on all week and now the average viewer gets to see this.
Slingshot

#107288 - 11/10/09 08:16 AM Re: PBA Reality TV? [Re: Handful]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
I enjoyed it. It kind of reminded me of the bowling documentary movie "A League of Ordinary Gentlemen". I just think that when it came down to the title match it should have been covered as it always is, but it was a best of seven series. So I guess the time constraints dictated otherwise.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 07:42 AM
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - 11/12/19 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.