BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 168 of 315 < 1 2 ... 166 167 168 169 170 ... 314 315 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#105990 - 10/23/09 02:13 PM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Reconbbs Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 21/Male/York Pennsylvania
Last night I subbed in early league. Used my black widow for almost all 3 of the games. Tried my centaur but couldn't carry. Lets just say 10 pins were giving me a hard time last night. I was 7 out of 8 on 10 pins which isn't to bad. 639.

Late league wasn't much better. 659...using my black widow solid for all 3 games. Played a inside line. 18 over 3rd arrow to 5 board. It held all night but I just executed multiple shots just plain baddd.

Hammer Black Widow Bite
DV8 Misfit
DV8 Reckless
Visionary AMB Centaur

High Game-300x2
High Series-836

Fall League Averages
Tuesday 234
Thursday 225

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#106018 - 10/23/09 08:54 PM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: Reconbbs]
Reconbbs Offline

A/S/L: 21/Male/York Pennsylvania
Well, I'm back. I was asked to sub tonight for a small match play league at my home center. Shot a 705 with my AMB Centaur. Something happened with the lane machine which caused the lanes to be really dry. I played a really direct shot with a lot of speed and forward roll. I carried very well.

Hammer Black Widow Bite
DV8 Misfit
DV8 Reckless
Visionary AMB Centaur

High Game-300x2
High Series-836

Fall League Averages
Tuesday 234
Thursday 225

#106079 - 10/24/09 04:36 PM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: Reconbbs]
beefers1 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 24/M/British Columbia
Had a mess of a league series. Didn't even break 450. Got really frustrated by guttering the first ball in the first game, and threw 2 more gutterballs that game. As I got more and more frustrated I forced the ball more and more and it really had a negative impact. Also, just couldn't make a spare today. ARGH!

#106087 - 10/24/09 07:44 PM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: beefers1]
Justinmill14 Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 18/male/Tennessee
Bowled youth league today. 156, 202, 223. First game I was just having problems with the lanes breaking down. They broke down very early today for some reason.
Cell Pearl
Furious
Reign
Natural
Hammer Onyx Vibe
Columbia 300 Outburst

#106094 - 10/24/09 10:43 PM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: Justinmill14]
JackZ Offline

A/S/L: 59/M/Cleveland, Ohio
I bowled friday...just getting around to posting. 140, 181, 179. Better than I've done this year.

The 140 was using the Tropical Storm. Even with my new somewhat higher speed....I can't control this ball. I used to bowl with a Brunswick Raging Inferno and a Track Freak, but that was with more oil.

2nd and 3rd games were with a Red Pearl Hammer Urethane. I stood 22 and threw over 8. I actually had a double in each of those 2 games.

I do have an idea for the Storm. I saw a right hander shoot a 740 with a strong reactive. He shoots slow and spins the ball. It skids forever and runs like crazy the last ten feet. I'd like to try that just for kicks.

Edited by JackZ (10/24/09 10:46 PM)

Better swing, more accuracy, and more spares.
A 200 avg. before summer.

#106211 - 10/27/09 12:10 AM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: JackZ]
MikeHL Offline

A/S/L: 34/M/da U.P. of Michigan, eh
Haven't joined a league yet (joining a short-season league that starts in December). However, I did shoot my first 500 ever in practice tonight. 146-189-173 = 508.

In truth, I didn't shoot that well -- got some GREAT breaks to carry strikes, including one in game 2 where I hooked it too much and got a Brooklyn-style [censored] Weber wall shot. The headpin glanced off the right sideboard, took out the 10, then rebounded forward to knock out the 5 last. Funny sport, this tenpins. nut Probably half my strikes went Brooklyn. I wasn't happy w/those even though the count was nice...

2nd game was clean until the 10th. This is a college town, and there was a BIG group of college kids taking up 4-5 lanes. The rightmost of those lanes was 3 to my left. Ordinarily, this wouldn't bother me at all...except one of the idiots on that lane was not rolling a ball; he was flinging a 9-pound ball down the lane as fast as he could. This of course meant 25 feet of loft on every shot.

10th frame, I go a little high and leave the 6-10. If I make it and bury 10 in the pit w/the fill ball, I have my first-ever 200. Idiot 3 lanes over picks THIS exact moment to let one fly. His ball crashed to the floor when I was starting my slide. The sudden and LOUD noise completely threw me off and I pulled it WAY left. begging I don't know which I wanted more, my first-ever clean game or my first-ever 200. Thanks to him, I got neither. Thanks, bozo. livid

I may not know tenpins, but I have plenty of bowling experience behind me, so I know how etiquette works. Someone 3 or even 2 lanes away rolling a shot at the same time as me wouldn't normally rattle me...but this wasn't normal. I also knew that w/his friends racking up a large tab and me not drinking, talking to the desk would get me nowhere.

Game 3 would EASILY have been over 200 had I not completely gakked it up in the 7th frame. Here are frames 5 through 10...

X X -5 X X 9/7

I rushed the strike ball terribly and overcompensated on the spare attempt by slowing down too much. Almost hooked it off the lane. BLEH! Next post(s) in the thread from me will be shorter, I promise. I'm just excited. smile
-- Mika Koivuniemi

#106214 - 10/27/09 12:49 AM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: MikeHL]
beefers1 Offline
Legend

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about them. Even in competition you might be only a couple of pairs away from someone who lofts the ball, either out of necessity or just his style. I occasionally get distracted by people cheering for whatever a few lanes down.

Best thing to do in this case would be to stop and start over. If you're on your release step squeeze your fingers into the ball so it won't fall off, and let your arm finish its swing path, maybe using a bit of muscle to slow it down if necessary. I've done it a few times; put the ball back onto the return, let the bowler beside you go, and restart your pre-shot routine.

You remind me of a funny instance when one of the youth league coaches called me (or so I thought) as I stepped onto the approach, but instead of stepping off and replying, I continued, and only on my second-to-last step did I decide to stop and start over because of all the things that were going through my head. I called to him, "Yeah?", and it turned out he wasn't addressing me. He added that I had a really slow reaction time. At least I marked that frame.

Tough break there with the potential 200. A couple of weeks ago I did something horrible. Could've shot my first 200 of the season with 17 pins in the 10th (after a strike in the 9th). Left the 4-7, made the spare, but made a terrible shot in the fill ball, only getting 6 pins for 199.

Edited by beefers1 (10/27/09 01:08 AM)

#106218 - 10/27/09 01:39 AM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: beefers1]
MikeHL Offline

A/S/L: 34/M/da U.P. of Michigan, eh
The noise follow-up from big loft is something else in this sport I'm not used to. In candlepins, no one lofts the ball. It's actually a foul if you loft the ball 10 feet down the lane or more. There's a line 10 feet out to measure this, called the lob line. Even if someone lobs, the ball doesn't make that [email protected]$$ crashing sound.

I totally get the stopping even on the release step. Problem is, I had total tunnel vision at this point. Good from the standpoint of being able to block out distractions that are close at hand, like the scoreboard (after game 1, I never looked at the score, just the tally this score unit has in the lower lefthand corner of how many games and frames have been bowled; it helped me forget about score and just come up w/the best shots I could). Bad bc if someone just out of my line of vision is doing something he's not supposed to be doing, there's no way I'm going to see him. And I didn't see him. frown
-- Mika Koivuniemi

#106219 - 10/27/09 02:01 AM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: MikeHL]
beefers1 Offline
Legend

The problem with these open bowlers is that many of them take no time at the approach so it's impossible to see when they're coming. Even if they try to observe posted lane courtesy rules (thank goodness most people I've bowled near do) their tendency to rush everything kind of messes up your routine too.

I hate how when I go to my local center for practice, they usually put me on the leftmost lanes, which besides having the most problematic pinsetters and ball returns, also have most of the little kids. While the parents I've spoken too usually are respectful of lane courtesy and will try to restrain their children, inevitably bad things happen. Whereas if I bowl near older people, including teens, even if they don't follow lane courtesy after being reminded, I can usually predict their behavior and time my actions according to theirs. Fortunately I know a couple of the desk people so sometimes I can get a good lane.

Lofting the ball is not recommended in most cases, but with extremely burnt out lanes it may be necessary to stand way left and loft over the gutter. Or if the heads are too dry adding a bit of loft (actually, more like extending the lay-down point from the foul line, since the ball shouldn't be traveling upward) can delay hook. With synthetic lane surfaces nowadays damaging lanes isn't really an issue anymore.

If this gets bad talk to the desk. Sure, they're spending more than you, but you never know when you get a compassionate desk operator. Plus if they got too rowdy others may have complained too.

Edited by beefers1 (10/27/09 02:25 AM)

#106224 - 10/27/09 08:24 AM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: beefers1]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
After struggling for the better part of October, I went and practiced on Sunday. I worked on two specific things, my cadence in the way I approach the foul line from the pushoff to my release, and my corner pin spares. I tend to rush the line and end up tugging the ball, and falling off the shot. After slowing things down considerably to just a nice steady walk, getting my timing back in order.. I was able to shoot over 200 in five of the six games I bowled, the first game being the lowest @ 173. Then I bowled a game of just shooting at 7 and 10 pins, hitting more than I missed. I felt I accomplished what I set out to do, and now the hard part is carrying it over to league.

I still have to see my coach, hopefully in the next few weeks. I would go sooner, but my schedule dictates otherwise.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

Page 168 of 315 < 1 2 ... 166 167 168 169 170 ... 314 315 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by BowlerBill - Yesterday at 07:05 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.