BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#105521 - 10/17/09 07:55 PM Wheres the USBC rulebook? gutterball rules too
hifisapi Offline
Junior

A/S/L: M- 50+ USA
In golf we have the annual USGA official rules of golf book every year or as needed. Is there one for bowling from the USBC? I ask because the gutterball rule isnt clear to me. Most internet references score all gutterballs as zero pins and first ball gutterballs must reset any pins felled but its not clear, some say its up to the league. Isnt there a clear USBC "default" gutterball rule on this?
I think it should always be a zero score, but some people dont.
FYI, im referring to some shots that go in gutter but wobble and hit some pins after going into gutter, usually the 7 or 10 pin when it rarely happens. thanks in advance.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#105522 - 10/17/09 07:58 PM Re: Wheres the USBC rulebook? gutterball rules too [Re: hifisapi]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California

#105523 - 10/17/09 07:59 PM Re: Wheres the USBC rulebook? gutterball rules too [Re: hifisapi]
beefers1 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 24/M/British Columbia
It happens. There is an official USBC rulebook. http://bowl.com/rules/rulebook/index.jsp

Pinfall doesn't count after the ball has landed in the gutter. In open play you can let it slide but in league it should be strictly enforced.

#105524 - 10/17/09 08:50 PM Re: Wheres the USBC rulebook? gutterball rules too [Re: beefers1]
hifisapi Offline
Junior

Originally Posted By: beefers1
It happens. There is an official USBC rulebook. http://bowl.com/rules/rulebook/index.jsp

Pinfall doesn't count after the ball has landed in the gutter. In open play you can let it slide but in league it should be strictly enforced.

Thanks for the link ( its temporarily down). But I dont agree with your contention, leagues can have any special rules they want and put in their charter, but in the absence of a league or league rule, then all bowlers should follow the official rules of bowling (USBC for USA) in my opinion. You cant just make up any scoring rules you like, there has to be official and same rules for everyone. This is how amateur golf works at least, I dont see why it would be any different for bowling scoring.

#105528 - 10/17/09 09:30 PM Re: Wheres the USBC rulebook? gutterball rules too [Re: hifisapi]
TenPin_ Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 32/M/TX
hifisapi,

I think you misunderstood what beefers said. Open play (non-league / unsanctioned / walk into the center and pay for some games of bowling) for most of us is nothing more than practice, and score doesn't matter in practice. So an extra pin that falls when it should be a gutterball doesn't matter. So there is no need to correct the score to reflect that pin.

Now if you are in open play and competing against someone (or just care about having the exact correct score), then it is up to you whether or not to correct for a pin knocked down by a gutterball. Most recreactional bowlers won't, I would venture to say the vast majority of them don't even know they are supposed to as they have never bowled in a league before.

In league play / tournaments / other sanctioned play, where score counts and rules are in effect, as soon as the ball enters the gutter the ball is out of play, and should it bounce out and hit a pin, that rack should be reset and score set to 0 (for a first ball) or for a second ball the pin count should be removed from the score. That is a set-in-stone USBC rule, and I doubt any league would elect to ignore this rule (not even sure they could).

#105530 - 10/17/09 09:49 PM Re: Wheres the USBC rulebook? gutterball rules too [Re: TenPin_]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A USBC sanctioned league cannot make a rule that veto's the basic principles of the game.

For example a league cannot put a rule in the league that turns the foul lights off. Or that gutters don't count or that a gutter ball is a do over.

What you do during non USBC play is up to you.

Erin

#105531 - 10/17/09 10:10 PM Re: Wheres the USBC rulebook? gutterball rules too [Re: TenPin_]
hifisapi Offline
Junior

Originally Posted By: TenPin_
hifisapi,

I think you misunderstood what beefers said. Open play (non-league / unsanctioned / walk into the center and pay for some games of bowling) for most of us is nothing more than practice, and score doesn't matter in practice. So an extra pin that falls when it should be a gutterball doesn't matter. So there is no need to correct the score to reflect that pin.

Now if you are in open play and competing against someone (or just care about having the exact correct score), then it is up to you whether or not to correct for a pin knocked down by a gutterball. Most recreactional bowlers won't, I would venture to say the vast majority of them don't even know they are supposed to as they have never bowled in a league before.

In league play / tournaments / other sanctioned play, where score counts and rules are in effect, as soon as the ball enters the gutter the ball is out of play, and should it bounce out and hit a pin, that rack should be reset and score set to 0 (for a first ball) or for a second ball the pin count should be removed from the score. That is a set-in-stone USBC rule, and I doubt any league would elect to ignore this rule (not even sure they could).

Before I posted this thread, I looked up whatever I could find online and it clearly stated that some leagues/tournaments etc DO allow the pinfall even on gutterballs, which is why I posted the thread. If I hadnt read this and that all leagues and USBC rules always do NOT allow pinfall scoring on gutterballs, there wouldnt be anything to discuss. Apparently, from what I have read, this rule is NOT always the same, even in some tournaments or leagues. But if the official USBC rule is that gutterballs are always scored as zero, thats fine with me, I agree with the rule. Zero skill, Zero score.

Regarding scoring by the rules, I dont believe it really matters if its a pro, league, or or recreational, there is only one way to score correctly, usbc rules unless the league or tournament states otherwise I would think. Sure if you bowling all by yourself it would not matter, but if you want to have an amateur non league or non tournament match with someone, then there has to be a predetermined and consistant set of rules for scoring. Without that
then determining the winner of a match would be sometimes impossible which would be unacceptable outcome.
I have bowled in leagues and recreationally often, there is no difference for me in desireability of consistant and clear rules of the game. If a league or tournament makes an exception to the rules and it is clear and predetermined, I have no problem with that, but in the absence of something like that, then I would think it is very desireable to use all USBC rules ( including gutterball scoring rules ) as the default for any matches whatsoever (unless its pre-agreed to use any special rules for whatever reason).

#105533 - 10/17/09 10:26 PM Re: Wheres the USBC rulebook? gutterball rules too [Re: hifisapi]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

Some leagues and tournaments are NOT USBC sanctioned. Therefore they can be as creative as possible in how they score the game.

#105536 - 10/17/09 11:04 PM Re: Wheres the USBC rulebook? gutterball rules too [Re: Atochabsh]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I don't know of a league/tournament that allows a dead ball to re-enter play. Once, the ball has left the lane and enters the gutter, it is a dead ball.

Where did you find this allowable?
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#105548 - 10/18/09 05:56 AM Re: Wheres the USBC rulebook? gutterball rules too [Re: Dennis Michael]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
6b Illegal Pinfall
When any of the following occur, the delivery counts but the resulting pinfall does not:
1 A ball leaves the lane before reaching the pins
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 12:15 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.