BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#105535 - 10/17/09 10:46 PM Criticisms are most welcome (Constructive that is)
123seeyah Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 26/M/Philippines
Don't be so rude on criticisms laugh

----------------------------------------------------
15# Virtual Energy
15# Mighty Zone
15# Roto Grip Golden Globe

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#105539 - 10/17/09 11:49 PM Re: Criticisms are most welcome (Constructive that is) [Re: 123seeyah]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR

My philosophy is whatever works, so I'll just tell you two things that you do that I don't do, and if you like doing it that way, whatever.

1 - I hold the elbow right beside my body, not out in front. I hold it with the elbow bent 90* and with the ball's weight entirely in the non-throwing hand. I think this keeps my balance better. Fans of the hinge would also say to hold the ball closer, I believe. The good new is taht you appear to hold the ball in the swing path (No video from behind so I can't say for sure).

2 - My first 2 steps are shorter than my last 3 steps. I don't know why that would be important. the reason I do it (probably not the reason a coach would give) is that it gives my swing more power on the forward going side - the downswing? foreswing?. In other words it goes up in the backswing slower than it falls forward in the forward swing, without my having to do anything with my arm muscles.

Can't tell much about your release or follow-through due to blurring.

One more thing:
3 - In my stance, the two feet are closer together. The slide foot is closer to the foul lines, as is yours, but only a little bit, not a foot and a half closer. For "power" strokes, my right foot's arch is at my slide foot's heel and slightly angled towards the right, just because it seems to get me where I'm going better. Come to think of it, I do that for all my strokes. It started on power strokes, though, and seems to have migrated to all my releases. Hmmm. Is that a bad habit?

(my usual disclaimer...)
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#105544 - 10/18/09 02:23 AM Re: Criticisms are most welcome (Constructive that is) [Re: 123seeyah]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
The elbow thing that SpareMe mentioned is a good one. Next I would say, get as much of the ball's weight into your opposite hand. Bowl with the left arm and let your right arm take all the credit. Without, a view from the back, it looks like you pull the ball down into your swing.

After that, it looks like the only thing that really stood out to me is that you are about 2-3 feet away from the foul line. Try either moving up a bit or put your heels on the foul line and take 5 normal steps back towards the seatee area and then add about 4-6 inches to that. The other little thing that stood out to me is that your slide foot is off to the side and not straight ahead.

Footwork looks good. Can't really comment on your swing plane, hand position or release without a shot from behind.

Hope that helps.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#105546 - 10/18/09 05:35 AM Re: Criticisms are most welcome (Constructive that is) [Re: 123seeyah]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
The best advice I can give you is to go to the foul line, turn around with your back to the pins and take 5 normal walking pace steps back toward the dots. You want to walk to the foul line in your approach the same way you would just walking down the street. Look at your steps, nobody walks down the street that way.

Fix this, then post another vid from the side and one from behind to check your swing.

I also agree with keeping the ball in closer to your body in the setup, so incorporate that as well.

#105631 - 10/19/09 11:34 AM Re: Criticisms are most welcome (Constructive that is) [Re: CoachJim]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I will agree with the above and will also say you should really try to shorten up your first couple of steps. The last two are fine but the first 3 are really long and causes a lot of extra movement but with the movement you are losing power. Your first two steps should be short, a foot and a half long at most, yours are probably closer to three feet. You want to take small steps so that your body can compress and store energy for the slide at the end. Right now you are using the slide to stop all of your momemntum because you are taking such long strides, the slide should be used as an "explosion" of momentum into the line, supplying the ball with power and adding power to your approach, not slowing you down and removing said power.

Nothing overly bad, just a few little tweaks I would make if it were my own game. Good luck!
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#105663 - 10/19/09 07:07 PM Re: Criticisms are most welcome (Constructive that is) [Re: sk8shorty01]
123seeyah Offline
League Bowler

Thank you for all the comments. I will certainly incorporate these to my game and will update my video soon smile
15# Virtual Energy
15# Mighty Zone

#105871 - 10/21/09 10:19 PM Re: Criticisms are most welcome (Constructive that is) [Re: 123seeyah]
HughScot Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 76/M/NC
I can't criticize anyone, but I notice that you use five steps. You stand with your right food behind your left and then begin by taking a long first step with your left foot. This appears awkward to me. So I agree with others on starting out with small steps or else go to a four step approach.
Hammer Turbo Deep Purple 14#

#105916 - 10/22/09 01:28 PM Re: Criticisms are most welcome (Constructive that is) [Re: HughScot]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
hugh,
I start similar to how he does, although my feet are not as far apart front to back. The toes of my right foot are in line with the arch of my left foot in most cases. You are correct that the first few steps are very long.
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#105929 - 10/22/09 08:11 PM Re: Criticisms are most welcome (Constructive that is) [Re: sk8shorty01]
mikhial66 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 20/M/FL
I agree with every one on your first two steps. To fix it the first thing you should is move your left foot back so it's right next to your right foot. You could even move it a couple inches in the other direction. Your first step is supposed to be a very small step to get you going. You should step a tad farther than where your foot is at your starting position. Your second step isn't going to be as short, but you still need to shorten it. It should feel like you're hardly moving your feet at all when you first start doing it.
Python
Midnight Vibe
T-Zone (Spare)
Copperhead(THS Ball)

#106128 - 10/25/09 09:00 AM Re: Criticisms are most welcome (Constructive that [Re: mikhial66]
123seeyah Offline
League Bowler

Updated videos

Taken 25-Oct-09

Side view

Back view

I incorporated the things some commented here:

1. Stance
2. Not being upright on shots
3. More relax swing/grip

unless another problem arises while on the process of solving previous issues. kindly comment smile thanks

Edited by 123seeyah (10/25/09 09:01 AM)
15# Virtual Energy
15# Mighty Zone

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.