BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#104976 - 10/10/09 01:47 PM Replacing Finger Grips at Home
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
I did a search and didn't find any previous discussions on this topic so here goes:

Since I already have a mini Pro Shop in my garage where I do my own ball deoiling, resurfacing, etc., I was considering buying a stock of finger grips off the internet so I can replace the old ones myself. I'm finding when I do ball resurfacing with Abralon pads they tend to get worn quicker because of the friction on the grips. I do try and reduce hand pressure on the pad as I'm going over the grips but they get sanded as well. I'm thinking when I do a resurface (not a quick cover change) that I might as well take the old grips out before I sand and then put new grips in after I'm done.

I've seen grips for sale on several bowling supplies sites. I'm assuming I can get the numbers from the inside of the grips and just order new ones based on the numbers? For example, the number from my middle finger grip is 47 and the one from my ring finger is 11. Once I order the proper fitting new grips it should just be a matter of pulling the old ones out and crazy gluing the new ones in while maintaining the same orientation.

Anybody replace their own grips and am I on the right track with the numbers for fit? I have nothing against using Proshops, but it's just a matter of convenience and when I need to replace them.

-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#104982 - 10/10/09 04:44 PM Re: Replacing Finger Grips at Home [Re: VFF57]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

Since I posted this I found out that the numbers do equate to sizes but it may be better just to measure the span of the existing grip just to be sure since I like the fit. There's also the drill diameter to consider which could be either 31/32 or 1-1/32. There's an extraction tool shaped like a semi-circle for slicing the old grip off the ball hole.

From what I remember when buying a new ball or getting old grips replaced the key question to me was "what color do you want". I don't recall being fitted to a grip size. I guess as long as your finger tips fit comfortably in them without being too loose it's considered a good fit?

At $5 a grip installed at a Pro Shop I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle doing it myself but it sure would be convenient to be able to do it when I want.
Black Hammer

#104990 - 10/10/09 06:44 PM Re: Replacing Finger Grips at Home [Re: VFF57]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
The old grip needs to be removed. There's a tool for that. Then the remaining bits of grip need to be removed, there's a tool for that too. Then you have to make sure your grips are the same diameter as the drill hole. And all brands of grips are not numbered the same. There are oval, oval lifts, power lifts and depending on what you use they effect your span. They also need to be aligned to your grip. And glued in, which most "super glue" types of glue will not work. So you'll need to make sure you are using the right glue. And get some remover because most people that start putting grips in their balls inevitably spill glue or put too much glue on the ball, resulting in clean up.

#105019 - 10/11/09 11:48 AM Re: Replacing Finger Grips at Home [Re: Atochabsh]
cherry scented Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 31/m/vt
I have been finding that the size of the hole drilled in the ball varies from the different places I've bought balls. I bought a few sets of grips to have around, but if the hole in the ball is too small the grip ends up not fitting my fingers.

When you get a new ball, they usually stick the fingertip grips on my fingers to see how they fit. If they don't fit once inserted in the ball (always dry fit before gluing) they either try a larger size or opening up the hole.

Long of the short is if you buy a bunch of one size, it might work for some balls but not for other balls, unless you are willing to adjust the size of the hole drilled in the ball.
Elite Death

Avg: 210
High Series: 725
High Game: 287

#105022 - 10/11/09 12:54 PM Re: Replacing Finger Grips at Home [Re: VFF57]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Originally Posted By: cherry scented
I have been finding that the size of the hole drilled in the ball varies from the different places I've bought balls. I bought a few sets of grips to have around, but if the hole in the ball is too small the grip ends up not fitting my fingers.

When you get a new ball, they usually stick the fingertip grips on my fingers to see how they fit. If they don't fit once inserted in the ball (always dry fit before gluing) they either try a larger size or opening up the hole. A way to make sure you get the sizes you need is to remove all the inserts and get the sizes needed.

Long of the short is if you buy a bunch of one size, it might work for some balls but not for other balls, unless you are willing to adjust the size of the hole drilled in the ball.

This happens when pro shops sharpen their bits. It slowly makes the bits smaller. I had this happen with different balls drilled at the same shop. He had two 31/32(size of the holes in the ball for most insert sizes) inch bits. One had been sharpened on multiple occasions and the other was a bit newer. Depending on which bit he used the same exact insert would feel different once put in the ball.
Originally Posted By: VFF57
I did a search and didn't find any previous discussions on this topic so here goes:

Since I already have a mini Pro Shop in my garage where I do my own ball deoiling, resurfacing, etc., I was considering buying a stock of finger grips off the internet so I can replace the old ones myself. I'm finding when I do ball resurfacing with Abralon pads they tend to get worn quicker because of the friction on the grips. I do try and reduce hand pressure on the pad as I'm going over the grips but they get sanded as well. I'm thinking when I do a resurface (not a quick cover change) that I might as well take the old grips out before I sand and then put new grips in after I'm done.

I've seen grips for sale on several bowling supplies sites. I'm assuming I can get the numbers from the inside of the grips and just order new ones based on the numbers? For example, the number from my middle finger grip is 47 and the one from my ring finger is 11. Once I order the proper fitting new grips it should just be a matter of pulling the old ones out and crazy gluing the new ones in while maintaining the same orientation.

Anybody replace their own grips and am I on the right track with the numbers for fit? I have nothing against using Proshops, but it's just a matter of convenience and when I need to replace them.

If the grips are still in good condition and you don't tear them up taking them out you can reuse them. I did that when I was constantly changing the middle finger insert when skin would get ripped off and I needed to use tape. Most of the time the grip puller went in with no problem and I used it to help scrape the sides of any residue the was left in.
HS:763

#105037 - 10/11/09 05:10 PM Re: Replacing Finger Grips at Home [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

Thanks for the replies.

Looks I can buy a good insert puller for ~ $25. The puller manufactures claim that 31/32 is the typical standard. However, as you guys stated there's a tolerance. I took some quick insert hole measurements on my equipment with calipers and they look to be about 1" (32/32). I can probably use the 31/32 grips since the glue will be adding to the grip diameter.

I should probably put a list together with prices of what I would need to do at least five sets of grips and see if the cost is worth the convenience. I have to drive at least 1/2 hour - 40 minutes one way just to get to a decent Pro Shop. On top of that, I need to align my schedule with their hours.
Black Hammer

#105045 - 10/11/09 08:17 PM Re: Replacing Finger Grips at Home [Re: VFF57]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Below is a link to Innovative Bowling's hand tools page. To pull and replace inserts, I typically use 2 or 3 of the tools, including the Finger Insert remover, Scraping tool and sometimes the Sanding tool.
http://www.shop.innovativebowling.com/category.sc?categoryId=42

There is more information and videos available at:
http://www.innovativebowling.com/product_info_insert_remover.htm
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#105088 - 10/12/09 07:38 AM Re: Replacing Finger Grips at Home [Re: Joe Bowler]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

Joe, thanks for the information I'll check it out.

-VFF

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by IronMike - 04/20/18 10:56 AM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by Dennis Michael - 04/14/18 04:37 PM
Better Polish
by W9JAB - 04/14/18 09:03 AM
Recommendations requested
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 08:34 AM
It can't come fast enough
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 08:21 AM
Original Gamebreaker
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 07:28 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by Jason_C - 04/09/18 07:08 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by champ - 04/07/18 08:39 PM
A question of degrees
by Fin09 - 04/06/18 01:28 PM
The final cut (Balls in the bag and their job)
by mmalsed - 04/04/18 12:09 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dylan585 - 03/31/18 11:30 PM
12 pound ball?
by Jason_C - 03/30/18 12:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.