BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#103441 - 09/22/09 05:06 PM Five pin bowling tips
Danvog Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Toronto
Hi Everyone,
I wanted to let people know about bowlersway.com. I've got some good standard advice for five pin bowling, that also works for ten pin in many respects.

Great community here, it's huge actually smile. I already like that my account had to be moderated before post...

Thank you,
Danny

3-10, 5"
Ram Pro Rubber

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#103459 - 09/22/09 09:46 PM Re: Five pin bowling tips [Re: Danvog]
beefers1 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 20/M/Toronto, ON
Hello from a fellow Canadian! Though I don't bowl five-pin (I've tried, and can't help but overhook the ball. Think my high score is 186) and I doubt that you'll find many people to talk five-pin with (only know about a couple of other Canadians on this forum).

You're right about this being a large community. Hopefully there're still be plenty of things to discuss.

Great tips there. I'm sure some things like timing and position can be applied to ten-pin bowling as well.

#103591 - 09/23/09 11:55 PM Re: Five pin bowling tips [Re: beefers1]
Danvog Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Toronto
Hey beefers smile

I actually come from a ten-pin background, but I really want to take advantage of the 5 pin lanes we have here. And I get a kick out of manual scoring. Speaking of manual scoring, it's interesting to see how it becomes a major part of the game. One thing I've noticed in the 3 weeks I've been there, each score card has its own style. One lady on my team writes the names for all 3 games in very nice cursive writing has quite a refined system for keeping Track of the game and score. I know it sounds crazy, but I really enjoy this part of the game. Everyone at the end gathers around with calculators and pencils to find out the winners, and the "no no no you added it wrong" can cause quite the stir... lol

That was the first problem I had, over hooking the ball. Very common from a ten-pin bowler bowling 5-pin. You would actually be surprised how many 5 pin bowlers would prefer to have slight hook on their ball, but have a difficult time with the release.

Common mistake, gripping the ball with your full hand - like palming a basketball. This can cause abnormal hook. You want to hold the ball with your fingers, leaving a pocket between the ball and the palm of your hand. Concentrate on rolling the ball of of your fingers.

See ya!

Edited by Danvog (09/24/09 12:07 AM)

3-10, 5"
Ram Pro Rubber

#103800 - 09/25/09 12:23 PM Re: Five pin bowling tips [Re: Danvog]
beefers1 Offline
Legend

We have quite a few five-pin centers here in Vancouver as well, though most of them are tiny places within a larger building. And while new ten-pin centers are still opening up here, all the five-pin places are really old (except for a formerly Brunswick-operated center called The Zone which is quite new and has both five- and ten-pin.)

Wow, you still use manual scoring? Every bowling center I have ever been to has automatic scoring. Though I've heard of an old five-pin place that still has manual.

#104850 - 10/08/09 10:49 PM Re: Five pin bowling tips [Re: ]
beefers1 Offline
Legend

Good luck in your endeavors. Maybe you should try to introduce it yourself?

We have candlepin here in Canada, but only in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. And in many places there's only five-pin and no ten-pin (only the big cities have ten-pin).

There has been quite a few ten-pin center closures in the past decade (though they're mostly the very small, basement-type alleys), compared to only 3 new centers opened (which are all larger entertainment centers). Hopefully this trend reverses, since recreational bowling seems to be on a rise here (it's hard to get a lane at my center most nights, and on weekends there's often a 2-hour waiting list), with people of all ages participating. Oh well... whatever makes money for the centers so that they can at least stay open and we'll have a place to bowl....

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Approach issue-my shoes or my head??
by rrb6699 (RayRay) - 6 minutes 37 seconds ago
How to match a ball to the player's style?
by nord - Today at 12:12 AM
New Targeting Formula
by Joe Bowler - Today at 12:07 AM
Problem hitting my target/mark.
by 6_ball_man - Yesterday at 07:55 PM
Input on my form and approaches
by spr3wr - Yesterday at 11:42 AM
Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread
by Calvin Pistorio - Yesterday at 09:30 AM
Approach Advice
by Joe Bowler - Yesterday at 06:35 AM
League duties
by SteveH - 04/19/14 07:02 PM
Help me with drill layout and other questions.
by Deep Pockets - 04/19/14 06:06 PM
Sign-up for Fall '14 V-league open (close 8/17)
by Richie V. - 04/19/14 03:01 PM
Ball Speed Calculator
by Eternal Bowler - 04/18/14 03:46 PM
2014 USBC Open Championships
by Richie V. - 04/16/14 01:47 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.