BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#104688 - 10/07/09 10:32 AM Re: There you go! [Re: sk8shorty01]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Didn't want to say this before, but the nearest thing to Taco places and Spanish speaking servers is the Alpaca farm across the road. They are native to South America.

Our normal greeting from merchants, which are very few here, is usually, 'have a nice day", as you leave. Kind of a warm feeling.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#104689 - 10/07/09 10:33 AM Re: There you go! [Re: VampyreBowler]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Originally Posted By: VampyreBowler
... they can't help you there unless you speak spanish...

English should be the National Language. All education, legal documents, and government documents should be only in English. Immigrants need to learn our language. Sorry for the political rant, but I feel this strongly. I know US citizens who came from India, China, Vietnam, Lebanon, Israel, Egypt, Liberia, and other places, and they all speak English.
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#104692 - 10/07/09 10:44 AM Re: There you go! [Re: 10PinGaloot]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I tend to agree with SpareMe on that, I don't mind if you want to speak another language to someone but please learn (or at least attempt) English. I know if I was to visit a foreign country I would at least attempt to speak in their native tongue.

I would just have a lot more patience with a spanish person that is attempting to speak English and asking goo questions as opposed to one that knows little to no English and doesn't seem to want to bother learning it. But thats just my opinion.
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#104693 - 10/07/09 10:46 AM Re: There you go! [Re: sk8shorty01]
sk8shorty01 Offline

... and by the way the Spanish person was simply an example, I am not going after the Spanish Herritage in any way smile .
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6

#104695 - 10/07/09 10:51 AM Re: There you go! [Re: sk8shorty01]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Its to the point here where you are at a disadvantage (I want to say discriminated against) if you DO NOT speak Spanish, especially in the job market. I have yet to see a job application for any good size business that does NOT ask you if you speak multiple languages. Many adds say "bi-lingual a must".

This has nothing with being polite or not. But I'm not as inclined to be polite myself when I cannot understand a word that's being said in the environment I'm in. McDonalds, Wal-Mart are the two that come to the top of my mind. I always say thank you for them bagging my purchases or handing me food. But I am put off when there is little to no English to hear in the place.

Erin

Edited by Atochabsh (10/07/09 10:57 AM)

#104701 - 10/07/09 12:04 PM Re: There you go! [Re: Atochabsh]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
I know what you're saying Erin. I work at a Kohl's near the Mexican border. Half of our customers, speak Spanishd and nothing else. I don't and my managers ride our butts about soliciting credit. Well I can't exactly do that with a language barrier. It's just a giant clusterf**k. They even offered a language course through Kohl's which I thought was cool and I asked about it. From what I can tell, it's only for managers which blows. I hate getting yelled at for not doing my job especially when I'm not given the tools to do my job. It's like painted a room without a brush or roller.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#104705 - 10/07/09 12:34 PM Re: There you go! [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Educators have pushed ESL training for the past decade. What's ESL? English Second Language.

Many immigrants come here with little knowledge of English. The predominant group happens to be Spanish speaking today in a lot of areas. But, In many pockets of Chicago, the predominant languages spoken are Eastern European, Polish, Slavic, and Russian as the biggest groups.

My wife teaches ESL in night school. And, these people crave to learn English so they can survive and be a part of the populace. My wife also says, English, as we speak it, is probably one of the top 2 or 3 most difficult languages to learn. Other languages don't deal with to-two-too.

I know in Chicago we don't have a bedroom. We say bedgerum. We don't have a front room, we have a frunchrum. Instead of 'did you eat', it is common to hear, Jeet. I can only imagine what an aspiring immigrant thinks. It can't be easy for any of them.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#104707 - 10/07/09 12:58 PM Re: There you go! [Re: Dennis Michael]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I have absolutely no problem with teaching ESL, unless its in public schools during regular school hours integrated with English speaking kids. When I was looking for a school for a related kid to go to when she moved.....the scores for the overall competance of the school directly related to how many non English speaking kids were enrolled. The more non English speaking kids, the lower the score for the school. Studies show that teachers were having to take so much time with the non English speaking kids that the English speaking kids were not learning at the expected pace.

I think if you do not speak English and you want to live here in the US, then you should learn. Not the country bend over backwards to make everything multi linqual. Here's a quote from our CA DMV concerning what languages the driving test is in

"Besides English, the basic Class C written driver license exam is also available in the following languages:
Amharic, Arabic, Armenian, Cambodian, Chinese, Croatian, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hmong, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Laotian, Persian/Farsi, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Samoan, Spanish, Tagalog/Filipino, Thai, Tongan, Turkish, and Vietnamese."

My point is if you cannot read English how are you going to read street signs? I'm not talking about yeild signs and stop signs but the really important ones like road closures, detours etc.....

Erin

#104708 - 10/07/09 12:58 PM Re: There you go! [Re: Dennis Michael]
sk8shorty01 Offline

I agree with you Dennis that the slang within the English language probably takes up more of our vocabulary than regular English does in every day life. There are so many short hand words, words with multiple meanings (orange) and even words that people use with a second meaning as a slang term (thats COOL, she/he is HOT, that is BAD). Just adds to the confusion.

My wife is a teacher here in Florida and she is ESL certified and they are really pushing that with all of the education grads now. I know they had a lot of work that had to do with ESL "problems" all the time in their studies.
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6

#104715 - 10/07/09 01:42 PM Re: There you go! [Re: sk8shorty01]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
In my area we have a huge populace of Arabic speaking immigrants, and my local school district offers ESL. Erin is right too about the non english speaking students dragging down test scores. Its not that the schools is bad, or the teacher is incompetent..its the foriegn kids having trouble understanding the test to begin with. Getting them into an ESL class as soon as they arrive here is imperative.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
After 8onths my centre has finally reopened
by looseleftie - 11/28/20 05:10 PM
No Post Available
by djp1080 - 11/28/20 01:37 PM
This is a damned shame
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:42 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.