BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#103859 - 09/26/09 08:31 AM Re: Updated Vid [Re: spr3wr]
lmfcoa Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: Chicagoland
Yeah, I just need to figure out how to make it work. Every time I've done that I end up subconsciously taking smaller steps :-(

PAP: 5 1/8 x 3/4 up || Speed: 17.78 || Revs: 314 || Rotation: 65* || Tilt: 15*

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#103998 - 09/28/09 02:07 PM Re: Updated Vid [Re: Jay R.]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Originally Posted By: Amateur
sk8, I could be wrong, but is it really as simple as just doing it? My thought has been that there's something in the timing that makes that step do what it does. In his case, maybe he just needs to slow down his first couple steps which would force him to take a quick power step to get to the line in time. Just wondering.

Everything is predicated by what is happening before it, thats for sure. So you are right in that you can't just make it happen unless it is set up by the steps before it. Because the approach before hand seems to be in relatively good shape I think its just a matter of adding more power to the power step. I assume the "weakened" power step was habit from a time when a more deliberate and muscled swing was used. The swing has been changed, now we need to incorperate other changes in order to make the entire motion flow and yet still produce power.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#103999 - 09/28/09 02:19 PM Re: Updated Vid [Re: sk8shorty01]
lmfcoa Offline
Action Bowler

I'm open to all suggestions laugh

I actually was working on a more powerful release yesterday and was having fair success with it. The problem was keeping a fluid swing and free arm swing. it seemed like right prior to release and thru the follow thru my arm would tighten up sometimes. The shots were it felt like it didn't though were beautiful and I ended up closer to the foul line too. /shrug

#104008 - 09/28/09 03:39 PM Re: Updated Vid [Re: lmfcoa]
Russ I. Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/m/wis
Whats a slide? Can I call you by your real name?
All I have to say is I wish I had your form/release/approach.
PAP 4 7/8" x 0

#104012 - 09/28/09 04:36 PM Re: Updated Vid [Re: Russ I.]
lmfcoa Offline
Action Bowler

I think a slide is something they have at parks in Wisconsin Dells. Ofcourse you can use my name Russ!

You wish for my form and approach maybe, but I know you don't wish for my release :P You would have to play a straigher line with the lack of revs and I know you don't like that.

#104045 - 09/28/09 10:21 PM Re: Updated Vid [Re: lmfcoa]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
All I can see from the side is your last step, can you post another video from the side from start to finish from head to toe, slo mo helps.

Your release looks fine, not sure what you are trying to do with it, but it's very smooth.

To finish closer to the foul line, look at your feet all the way from start to finish. Do this in practice and not in league and use a ball that you don't like as it will most likely be heading down the gutter until you learn to slide 4 to 6" from the foul line.

#104051 - 09/28/09 11:27 PM Re: Updated Vid [Re: CoachJim]
lmfcoa Offline
Action Bowler

CoachJim; I'll try to get some complete video from the side this weekend.

I guess the thing I'm trying to change with my release is just to make it a tad stronger. I have a hard time moving the ball on all but the driest of conditions it normally seems to me. I don't try, nor do I want, to hook it from gutter or anything like that I'm just trying to open the lanes up a bit for myself.

(Most people have said the release looks good though so maybe I'm being overly critical)

I'll practice the approach like you mentioned though this weekend as well.

#104076 - 09/29/09 09:49 AM Re: Updated Vid [Re: lmfcoa]
TenPin_ Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 32/M/TX
I think most everyone is saying your release looks good in the sense that it is smooth and clean (which is good!). I too usually have a smooth release, but like you I often struggle on oil to get my ball to move, which among other detrimental factors (that you don't have) was caused by weak hand positioning. Yours doesn't look weak, just not as strong as it could be. It looks like you are coming out of the ball a bit flat, like you said without any turn. But at the same time you don't want to get in the habit of forcing or over turning your hand. Have you tried c0cking your wrist in (to the left) before? I've been working on that technique with various amounts of c0cking to see what works best for me and what feels most comfortable / repeatable. In my case it doesn't take much but when done right I feel like I'm barely doing anything to the ball yet I get a good amount more hook then my normal release.

I also used to finish a long way from the line. I had a coach move me up on the approach, and I still ended up close to 2 feet from the line. Without trying I was taking smaller steps, because I was used to finishing in a certain spot and I could see the line approaching. As CoachJim suggested looking at your feet and focusing on your steps will help get you all the way to the line, I have done this and after a fair amount of practice I usually finish within 6" of the line now.

#104079 - 09/29/09 10:13 AM Re: Updated Vid [Re: TenPin_]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Doing the belly walk to the line can also help you re-learn your step pattern.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 08/19/19 10:21 PM
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 08/15/19 08:37 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Dennis Michael - 08/13/19 07:06 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 08/10/19 10:03 AM
PBA 2 Game Formats and Roll-Offs (No Spoilers)
by champ - 07/22/19 05:30 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.