BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#10392 - 01/10/03 05:12 PM The 7 pin blues *****
gene brady Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 81/m/melbourne,fl.
The house finally conditioned the lanes after many complaints, so they were not extremely dry as usual,I knew what to do I moved my feet right 5 boards moved my target right 3 boards.I was in the 1-3 pocket time after time, Leaving the 7 pin time after time.I did not know how to adjust for this problem.I noticed each time I left the 7 pin the 5 pin was just laying in front of the 7 pin I should mention I am not young, and I am using a 12 lb ball.I would have had a 4 timer if I could carry the 7. I need some help with this problem please.
Scorchy frown

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#10393 - 01/10/03 08:16 PM Re: The 7 pin blues
DTB300 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Ageless/M/MD
Quote:
Originally posted by gene brady:
The house finally conditioned the lanes after many complaints, so they were not extremely dry as usual,I knew what to do I moved my feet right 5 boards moved my target right 3 boards.
Too bad the center has to wait for many complaints. Were the lanes just conditioned or were they also stripped?

Quote:

I was in the 1-3 pocket time after time, Leaving the 7 pin time after time.I did not know how to adjust for this problem.I noticed each time I left the 7 pin the 5 pin was just laying in front of the 7 pin
There is always a reason why we leave pins, even on a pocket hit. I see this all the time in leagues where a bowler will be in the 1-3 pocket yet leave pins. All I hear is "I got tapped". As Bill Taylor states, there is no such thing as a tap, there is always a reason why the results are gotten.

For you it might be:

1. Too much deflection
2. You were not high enough in the pocket but that usually leaves the soft 10
3. The ball was not finishing - skidding instead of rolling in the pocket
4. If the lanes were not stripped, then the backends could have a lot of oil and the ball was not finishing.

It is hard to tell without being there and seeing the results. From what you mention I would have tried a 1 board move right on the approach using same mark or even try to slow the ball speed down. If the center continues with this condition, you might have to scuff up the surface of your ball to get it to read the lane better. But since you mentioned the center is usually dry, it maybe just a one time thing. And if you do change the coverstock, then the ball will read the lane too early when it is drier.

What line were you playing?

Quote:

I should mention I am not young, and I am using a 12 lb ball.
Not let's not start using excuses smile I hope that when I am 81 that I can still be bowling.

Later...Dan

Formula for Improving your Bowling....
Professional Bowlers Service, Inc. + Briggs Consulting = Bowler Educational Seminars -> Results - Improved Bowlers Gaithersburg, MD - Home of Bowler Educational Seminars - Ask me about attending one!!!

#10394 - 01/10/03 11:06 PM Re: The 7 pin blues
gene brady Offline
Junior Master

Hi Dan, I do not think I was making excuses. I knew something was lacking in my shot.I didn`t feel that I was tapped either. I agree with you on the tap theory. I do not know if the lanes were stripped or not,I do not know what you mean by stripping, except that it sounds like take all the old finish off, and then oil the lanes.I was
standing with my right foot 5 boards to the left of the center dot and my target was around the 13th 14th board I was hitting it pretty good with my new free no muscle swing. I am right handed,I throw a hook ball.
Thanks Dan for all your help, yes I am 81, but thank God I am not handicapped in any way. I feel I should be bowling better if I only knew how. I also know I am Improving Thanks to people like you
Scorchy smile

#10395 - 01/11/03 09:13 AM Re: The 7 pin blues
graybeard Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 58 m Maryland
Scorchy,Just a word of encouragement.Its not a easy game to learn but with your attitude i don't think it will be a problem for you.Good bowling.

#10396 - 01/11/03 09:49 AM Re: The 7 pin blues
Avid Bowler Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: early-forties/Male/San Diego, ...
Quote:
Originally posted by gene brady:

I was standing with my right foot 5 boards to the left of the center dot and my target was around the 13th 14th board I was hitting it pretty good with my new free no muscle swing. I am right handed,I throw a hook ball. smile
Scorchy,

You should reference your stance with your left foot (not with your right foot); this is illustrated in various bowling books, advice from bowling coaches and this is the method that I use.

With that said, if your right foot is 5 boards to the left of the center dot, then your right foot is at board number 25 - which means that the inside edge of your LEFT foot would be at (approximately) board number 27.

As Dan has pointed out in an earlier post, your logical move is to move right 1 board (using the inside edge of your left foot) and use the same target (around the 13th or 14th board) on the lane; and then if that move still leaves you the 7 pin, throw the ball a bit slower than your normal speed.

Just one quick note though, "DO NOT" make multiple changes to your delivery all at once; "change one thing at a time", for example:

1. Moving left or right/up or down on the approach.

2. Changing ball speed.

3. Change your focus on your target (either look closer or farther down the lane).

4. Changing your hand position at the point of release.

5. Changing your ball with an agressive coverstock (to make it hook more).

My point is, do number 1 first; if that doesn't work, do number 2 next; and then go to number 3 next; and then go to number 4 next; or as a last resort do number 5.

I hope this helps... wink

Avid

#10397 - 01/11/03 10:58 AM Re: The 7 pin blues
gene brady Offline
Junior Master

Thanks Greybeard for the encouragement,When things go wrong it is good to reflect back on encouraging words.

Scorchy smile

#10398 - 01/11/03 11:05 AM Re: The 7 pin blues
gene brady Offline
Junior Master

Thanks Avid Bowler, You sure packed in a lot of solid advice. I really appreciate same,I know about lining up with the inside of my left foot. I just have to get comfortable doing it. I am going to print out your tips so I can refer to them from time to time.
Scorchy smile

#10399 - 12/23/04 02:33 PM Re: The 7 pin blues
Bigiron Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 48/M/MT
Avid Bowler;

I don't mean to barge in but I read and read and read and.....

Just to clarify one thing for me... when you say only change one thing at a time... for instance move one board to the right... if that doesn't work do you stay one board to the right and change ball speed? or return to original position and change ball speed?? I assume the latter but want to be sure...

Everything has to be spelled out for me sometimes...

Then just to be persistant.... assuming the latter is correct do you then keep ball speed slowed and then move to the right a board or start at the original position and change target...

Again sorry for what should be a simple thing, but I'm trying to improve my game the best way I know how, and some times that means I have to ask stupid questions.

#10400 - 02/15/06 10:38 PM Re: The 7 pin blues
Dawnhere Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 37 / F / IL
Hi Scorchy.
I'm a newbie here and not a pro by any means, but for me, if I'm missing that 7 pin, sometimes moving about an inch back from where I usually stand on the approach will help me get the 7 pins when I'm leaving them. And I move up about an inch to get 10 pins. I think someone else mentioned this earlier here? Good luck!
Dawn

#10401 - 06/29/06 09:17 PM Re: The 7 pin blues
oldgeezer Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: old/geezer/SoCal
Hope I'm bowling when I'm 81... ok, I'd settle for just breathing. smile

I'm sure you understand you're giving up quite a bit of pin carry when tossing 12 lbs down the lane. Roll the heaviest ball that is comfortable for you. If your ball has good pace, you might want to think about adding an 1 - 1 1/2 lbs. If you're tired by the end of the session, then you've probably got the ball you need.

Keep doing whatever you doing as it seems to be working if you're hitting the pocket on a regular basis. Make those spares and those taps don't seem quite as painful.

Good luck!

Terry

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
For stubborn straight-bowlers
by SteveH - Yesterday at 05:20 PM
best defiant in the line from roto grip?
by champ - Yesterday at 03:37 PM
First Day with the Storm Crux
by SteveH - Yesterday at 02:58 PM
Thumb Tape Help - Gets sticky.
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 09:18 AM
Changing a polished ball
by Fin09 - 10/23/14 10:22 PM
Ah yes, elbow inside
by SteveH - 10/23/14 06:22 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread
by Richie V. - 10/22/14 10:28 PM
The Weak Ten pin?
by steveA - 10/21/14 07:11 PM
Adding new ball to the arsenal
by spectral - 10/21/14 10:16 AM
Fall '14 Week 6 virtual league results
by SteveH - 10/20/14 08:26 PM
Help choosing a new ball
by Cray - 10/20/14 12:45 AM
1500 abralon pad
by Dave800 - 10/19/14 07:58 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.