BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#105821 - 10/21/09 12:37 PM Re: The 7 pin blues ***** [Re: HughScot]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Knowing which board your ball is rolling over is one thing, and takes some training of the eye. Which board you're STANDING on, which is the main thing being discussed here, is something that there is no excuse for not knowing.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#105838 - 10/21/09 05:20 PM Re: The 7 pin blues [Re: cgeorg]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Originally Posted By: cgeorg
Which board you're STANDING on is something that there is no excuse for not knowing.

OMG! No wonder my average is so low!

(just kidding)

But seriously:
Originally Posted By: hughscot
To a newbie like me, knowing which board I'm using is really funny.

Place your left foot somewhere. That's the board ou're standindg on (if you're a righty). Count over from the right edge of the lane the number of boards to your foot. There's a dot on the approach every 5 boards. The middle dot is board 20, so if your left foot is on the dot to the left of the middle dot, you're "standing on 25, throwing at the second arrow".

You don't see your ball when it goes over the foul line, so you either have to tape yourself or have someone else tell you where your laydown point is. It's supposed to be the same on every shot, e.g. 8 boards to the right of your slide foot.

One other thing to note: you might drift as you walk, so your slide foot might end up on 30 or 20 even though you stood on 25. You'll get the hang of it if you look at you left foot when you assume your stance and then afte you've thrown the shot.

good luck!
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#105839 - 10/21/09 05:24 PM Re: The 7 pin blues [Re: cgeorg]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Knowing which board your ball is rolling over is one thing, and takes some training of the eye. Which board you're STANDING on, which is the main thing being discussed here, is something that there is no excuse for not knowing.

Not really. I can tell you what board I stand on for my first shot. But, I have NO CLUE for every spare shot. I know how my ball is reacting, and I draw a mental line from the pin, over the nearest target right, and position my feet appropriately, could be left or right. It doesn't matter what pin I shoot at. For a 7 pin, I use my strike ball over the 3rd arrow. Don't know where I stand. For a 10 pin, I target the second arrow with my spare ball. No clue where I stand. But, I walk towards the target.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#107785 - 11/15/09 02:15 AM Re: The 7 pin blues [Re: Dennis Michael]
WooHooStrikes Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 25/m/east coast
man as a lefty i hate the 7 pin. i throw 3 and 2 finger balls and attempt to flatten them out, but i either miss it by so little that the wind itself makes it wobble, or hit gutter before the pin.

i tend to stand at the right gutter and aim for the shaw of the 7 pin. i dont look at the 7 per se, just aim/look at the shawdow and go for that.

#107786 - 11/15/09 02:54 AM Re: The 7 pin blues [Re: WooHooStrikes]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I agree with CG. If you do nothing else, at least know where you are putting your feet and where you are going to put your feet for a particular spare.

The house shot will give you room on the lane. But if you do not have your feet in the right spot nothing can help you.

For every single ball I throw, whether strike ball or spare ball, I know exactly what board I'm going to stand on before I ever step onto the approach.

So, its not that hard. Middle dot is 20. The dots are in 5 board increments. You remember learning your 5 times tables right? They were the easiest. So the dot to the right is 15, the next is 10 etc.... Now if you are a lefty, you can also think of that dot to the left as 15 and the next 10. As long as you make sure you include that you are left handed, then most will know what board you are talking about.

As for the extreme corner pin, whether it be the 7 for lefties or 10 for righties, you still need to know what board you are standing on. "By the gutter" is not good enough. Figure it out, count, get a land mark, but make sure you stand on exactly the same board every time. And if you are aiming at the shadow, or the pin whatever.....that's fine. Double up your luck and trace that line back and find an area around the arrows where your ball crosses to use as another point on your trajectory. Its much easier to draw a line through two points then it is one.

I have a back up plan for my 10 pin pick up. In case for some reason my body does not want to angle the shot one day from the 42 board ball path through the 20 board. I have a set up that lines me up ball path through the 15 board. Now my set up is not going to be the same for your set up. So it takes time on the lanes practicing and finding out what works for you most of the time and then perfecting it.

You wanna pick up the 7 pin? Then go down and practice that and only that. Shoot a whole game of 7 pins. Test your percentage. If you have a buddy, make it a contest. But I can tell you that its not easy to shoot 20 7 pins in a row.

Erin

#107892 - 11/16/09 12:16 AM Re: The 7 pin blues [Re: Atochabsh]
WooHooStrikes Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 25/m/east coast
i tend to stand at the 4 board on the right, angle myself out to the 7. my problem tends to be not flattening it out enough and over throwing/under throwing it down the lane, which tends to go gutter or hook before the 7 by so little.

i got to work on both 7 and my 10 pin.

#107906 - 11/16/09 08:05 AM Re: The 7 pin blues [Re: HughScot]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
That little fish tail at the end messes up a lot of bowlers.

Do you have a spare ball? If not, then save up and get one. You can buy a used one, or a new one. Plastic is plastic so it really doesn't matter. But a polished plastic ball, should take care of that little fish tail at the end. And you need to keep it polished. Because for higher rev players even the plastic can hook a bit on the end. So when you see it doing that, its time for a repolish at the Pro Shop.

Not only will a spare ball increase your average by allowing you to more easily pick up that corner pin it will decrease frustration both in practice and league. How much is that worth ?......priceless.

Erin

#107933 - 11/16/09 01:27 PM Re: The 7 pin blues [Re: Dennis Michael]
Dan300 Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 40s/M/Woodbridge, VA
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael

Not really. I can tell you what board I stand on for my first shot. But, I have NO CLUE for every spare shot. I know how my ball is reacting, and I draw a mental line from the pin, over the nearest target right, and position my feet appropriately, could be left or right. It doesn't matter what pin I shoot at. For a 7 pin, I use my strike ball over the 3rd arrow. Don't know where I stand. For a 10 pin, I target the second arrow with my spare ball. No clue where I stand. But, I walk towards the target.

On a house pattern, for leaves on the left side of the head pin, I move 5 boards right for the 2, 10 boards right for the 4, and 12-13 right for the 7. I'll adjust slightly depending on how much oil is in the middle, and then for the 4 and 7 pins, take off about 20% of the ball's speed. All the time I'm targeting my strike mark(or moving it right 1 board for every 2 I move with my feet). Very rarely miss those spares these days.
300s: 13 total

Season (14-15):
----
HSS: 822
HSG: 300(2)

Averages(1/8/15):
----
Composite: 225
WMCL: 235
Stan Soaper: 219
Men's Automotive: 220

Balls(15#):
----
HyperCell Skid
HyperCell
Infinite Theory
Wrecker

#116455 - 02/03/10 10:26 AM Re: The 7 pin blues [Re: oldgeezer]
BowlCoach55 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 72/M/Fredericksburg, Virginia
Gene, a 12 # will obviously deflects considerably. Just be sure you are playing the lane to take advantage of the oil line. You need to be playing a line that is 2 to 3 boards outside of the heavier oil. In other words, find the area where the ball barely hooks and then play a line outside of that area. Also the greater the entry angle you can create the more carry you will get.

#159844 - 12/24/11 06:37 PM Re: The 7 pin blues [Re: oldgeezer]
Rat Man Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 57/M Erial, New Jersey
Hi, Scorchy;
If you can't get enough power on the ball to knock out the seven pin try dropping your ball in from the far right corner. Sometimes more angle in place of more power can work wonders. I hope that when I'm 81, if I'm fortunate enough to make it there, I'm still bowling. Good for you, man!! Please let us know how you make out.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by looseleftie - 09/20/20 05:02 PM
Bowled a few games at South Point in Las Vegas
by goobee - 09/03/20 04:38 PM
Roto-Grip Rubicon Video Ball Review
by sk8shorty01 - 08/25/20 05:50 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.