BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#59226 - 06/13/08 03:57 PM Re: The 7 pin blues ***** [Re: KingBlueBadger]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Eddie, this thread started way before my time, I was just trying to help Amature who still posts pretty regular. It would be nice to know if any of our advice helped someone, and would help others with the same problems as well if people replied an let us know how their problem was resolved. I can't recall Gene posting here since I have been a member, but it would be nice to know how it turned out for him.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#65943 - 09/07/08 03:49 PM Re: The 7 pin blues [Re: oldgeezer]
TJ4ndirish Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 39/m/Lancaster OH
Scorchy,

Add this to your things to try. When you begin noticing you are leaving the 7 pin, look to see if you are coming high or low on the head pin. If you are coming high on the head, take about a 6" step forward from your normal stance and throw your same ball.........speed, mark and hand rotation. If you are coming in low on the head pin, then do the reverse, 6" step back and see what happens.

I can get in a rut with 7's or 10's and make that little adjustment and it helps. Hope this helps.

Live long............bowl strong.

Terry

#71386 - 11/24/08 04:14 PM Re: The 7 pin blues [Re: gene brady]
chipmunk bowl Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 14/M/UK
my first thought would be moving 1 board left as if u are leaving lots of 7 pins on of the usual cases is high hits. if adjusting is not working watch where the ball is hitting if the ball is deflecting to much move right to get the ball to go high flush thats how im getting turkeys and hambones with my 10 lb ball.

by the way if you are left with constant 10 pins try moving a little right on the approach

#74590 - 01/05/09 03:47 PM Re: The 7 pin blues [Re: Jay R.]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Originally Posted By: Amateur
I thought leaving solid back row pins mean the ball is getting into its roll too fast(or am I thinking too slow? I'm just learning this myself) and it's a tad high in the pocket. If that's the case, it seems like the adjustment you'd want to make would be to change your breakpoint a little further outside I think.

Please correct me if I made any wrong assumptions here because I'd really like to improve my carry percentage as well.

This is a little to generalized a statement to be completely true, as there are many reasons for leaving back row pins, and each pin is different (and some have multiple reasons). The "language" of the pin fall is what will tell you what your adjustment needs to be. The reason I say this is because the adjustment to get rid of a 7 pin all depends on what the other pins in the rack did to leave it. If you see that the 5 pin is passing the 7 in front, that means that your entry angle is not sharp enough, or it could also be that the ball is deflecting due to either beginning its roll to late, or it could also begin roll to early and burn up. Therefore there are other keys to look at. What is the headpin doing? What about the 10, how does it fall? These all "tell" you what to do, but you have to be able to interperate them just like learning a new language. If the headpin flies into the wall and comes in front of the 7 as a messenger, that means the ball is rolling at the right time but the entry angle needs to be increased (on most occasions). This flat 10 look with a weak entry angle can also leave you with that infamous pocket 7-10 as the ball is hitting the headpin first, and going more head on into the 3, causing the ball to also clip the 6 in most cases (the the 3 just barely catching in on the left of the 6) and pushing the 6 into the gutter and not into the wall and belly of the 10.

It would be most benificial to find a coach, or someone with a great deal of knowledge (not everyone that has a high average actually knows what they are talking about) and have them help you intereperate what the pins are trying to tell you. These clues will help your average increase very quickly, as you can start adjusting before you leave pins. Its always nice to adjust on a strike and put 10 in the pit on the next ball, without having a spare in between. Good Luck!
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#98134 - 07/15/09 06:06 PM Re: The 7 pin blues [Re: oldgeezer]
albertperez15 Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 16/male/San Antonio Tx
just move about a 1/2 step up and throw the same ball that should take care of it at least it did for me

#98135 - 07/15/09 06:07 PM Re: The 7 pin blues [Re: oldgeezer]
albertperez15 Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 16/male/San Antonio Tx
just move about a 1/2 step up and throw the same ball that should take care of it at least it did for me

#99633 - 08/03/09 11:34 PM Re: The 7 pin blues [Re: gene brady]
slimdawg Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 32male detroit, Mi
When Im hitting the pocket and leaving just one pin I make sure I put a little lift on the ball and it seems to work for me.

#99687 - 08/04/09 01:24 PM Re: The 7 pin blues [Re: slimdawg]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Originally Posted By: slimdawg
When Im hitting the pocket and leaving just one pin I make sure I put a little lift on the ball and it seems to work for me.

"Lifting" the ball is an outdated practice based on today's equipment. It can actually cause more problems if you are not careful because of the tendency for the coverstocks to experience over-under with "lifting" or "hitting up" on the ball.
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#99689 - 08/04/09 01:45 PM Re: The 7 pin blues [Re: sk8shorty01]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
The original poster is an older gentleman, right hand, using a reactive 12lb equipment on dry lanes. There are many reasons why such a player would leave the 7 pin with the 5 pin in front. But mainly due to low ball weight, slow ball speed and dry conditions probably takes the energy out of the ball. He's need to move inside more, not outside.

But for me, for example, if I'm leaving the 7 pin its usually because I'm too high in the pocket and I get that super sonic wrap around pin that doesn't catch it on its way to the left side.

But you can leave the 7 pin if you are too light in the pocket. This is usually lighter in the pocket then leaving the 10 pin. So in both cases, 7 or 10 pin, you need to move 1/2 board outside and that usually takes care of it. If not, espcially where the 7 pin is concerned I usually have to move further outside. But more then likely the 7 pin leave is from OPERATOR ERROR. I sent the ball to far right and it didn't have enough energy when it hit the pocket.

Erin

#105774 - 10/20/09 10:40 PM Re: The 7 pin blues [Re: KingBlueBadger]
HughScot Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 76/M/NC
To a newbie like me, knowing which board I'm using is really funny. I'll be happy when I always get close to the arrow I want to use. Harder than it first appears. Lots of good info. in these answers.
Hammer Turbo Deep Purple 14#

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by looseleftie - 09/20/20 05:02 PM
Bowled a few games at South Point in Las Vegas
by goobee - 09/03/20 04:38 PM
Roto-Grip Rubicon Video Ball Review
by sk8shorty01 - 08/25/20 05:50 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.