BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#103729 - 09/24/09 09:31 PM Updated Vid
lmfcoa Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: Chicagoland
Just two shots (one from side and one from behind). The thing I had been working on the most is freeing my arm swing and staying more upright at the line which I think I have accomplished. (First vids here)

Two things I know I need to work on still are my release (I'm not happy with it) and finishing closer to the foul line. Any advice on this one? It seems no matter what I do I subconsciously compensate and end the same distance away.

Edited by lmfcoa (09/24/09 09:38 PM)

PAP: 5 1/8 x 3/4 up || Speed: 17.78 || Revs: 314 || Rotation: 65* || Tilt: 15*

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#103742 - 09/24/09 11:34 PM Re: Updated Vid [Re: lmfcoa]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Smoooth!

You need to slide up to the foul line, though.

Toe into the slide - good.
Relaxed swing - good.
Head over the slide toe - good.
Ball in front of you in stance - not advised, but it doesn't seem to be hurting your swing.
These are all things people say you should do....

By "improve the release" do you mean - get the fingers below the horizon (good), cup the hand (good) or something else? It looks to me like your release is a good one - when I do it, I call it "firm-wristed over the top". It looks like you're putting a little finger action into it, based on the curled fingers in your follow-thru, so in my opinion you are doing a very good job of it. I never get that much hook when I do it.

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#103766 - 09/25/09 07:52 AM Re: Updated Vid [Re: 10PinGaloot]
lmfcoa Offline
Action Bowler

Thanks SpareMe, I guess I'm just overly critical of myself.

The ball I don't usually put so much in the middle of my stance, but I was working on the push away shown in the NextLevel Bowling video about bracing the arms against the body.

As for the release I don't feel like I really project the ball down the lane at all. I should practice the towel drill maybe. The other thing I don't like is I don't throw a very strong ball. (I seem to stay behind the ball forever and never really put any side revs on it). While the ball in the video seemed to hook a good deal it would barely move if I went to any other house. Both those videos were shot at a house that does know what oil is LOL.

#103770 - 09/25/09 09:00 AM Re: Updated Vid [Re: lmfcoa]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Hey, that place looks familiar!

Are you having any particular problem? Are you inconsistent with your hit? I'd guess your ball would dive when the lanes dry with that speed, and playing that line. You may want to take a longer first step.

You may want to start the ball more outside, Head over ball, Over right foot alignment. But, you don't particularly pull it behind you. Your body gets out of the way for your swing. Your release could be a little closer to your ankle for better, consistence in targeting. You are pretty far from the line. You'll hit the towel every time.

There isn't much glaringly wrong that I see in 2 shots.

About the only thing I noticed was a difference in your hand lift after the release. The side view shot, you pulled it up harder than the rear view. Course, these were taken on different days too. Unless you changed clothes between shots.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#103772 - 09/25/09 09:16 AM Re: Updated Vid [Re: Dennis Michael]
lmfcoa Offline
Action Bowler

You got me Dennis! I always carry a spare set of clothes :P I think the reason the ball ended up inside was that Duke video where he talked about keeping the weight in the left hand. When I start the ball more outside I have a hard time getting the weight over.

My problems are that when lanes have more oil I tend to have to play straight up because my lack of revs don't let me open the lanes up at all. I know shots will vary and you don't always get the line you want, but I often am forced outside and in while other guys move the ball with ease.

So thats my biggest complaint right now... that and being 2 feet from the foul line LOL

{disclaimer] I don't think you have to hook the ball gutter to gutter to be a good bowler and thats not even what I want to do. I just want to be able to have a little more power to play with which should help me have different choices on the lanes

#103778 - 09/25/09 10:22 AM Re: Updated Vid [Re: lmfcoa]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I will say you are definitely improving quite a bit! Now, I know you said you don't like being so far from the foul line so I will try to help you there. Watch the video from behind and pay special attention to your power step. You want to "coil" up by compressing with your legs and then explode towards the line in order to get a good slide, ala Parker Bohn. If you look at yours right now you will notice its just a step, no attempt to gain power. I think if you get a little bend in those knees and you push towards the line rather than stepping towards the line you will see your slide increase.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#103817 - 09/25/09 04:37 PM Re: Updated Vid [Re: sk8shorty01]
Handful Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 32/male/St Pete, FL/ usa
I agree with Sk8, need to get a little lower on your power step (second to last step.) this will allow more time to push into your slide. right now your too high to get enough push with this step. Think of a baseball pitcher who loads up with his leg and pushes off the mound to throw. he actually lowers his body to allow more time to push off the rubber.
Slingshot

#103830 - 09/25/09 08:48 PM Re: Updated Vid [Re: Handful]
123seeyah Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 26/M/Philippines
May i suggest; If you want to finish closer to the foul line, try standing on the foul line with your back against the bowling lane and do your approach.. then mark where your sliding foot is at then turn backwards and face the bowling lane.. this should be your stance position and check if you'll be finishing closer to the foul line.
----------------------------------------------------
15# Virtual Energy
15# Mighty Zone
15# Roto Grip Golden Globe

#103838 - 09/25/09 09:33 PM Re: Updated Vid [Re: 123seeyah]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
Next Level Bowling - Lesson 1: Starting Position

High series 810
Current ave. 213

#103841 - 09/25/09 09:44 PM Re: Updated Vid [Re: spr3wr]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
sk8, I could be wrong, but is it really as simple as just doing it? My thought has been that there's something in the timing that makes that step do what it does. In his case, maybe he just needs to slow down his first couple steps which would force him to take a quick power step to get to the line in time. Just wondering.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 08/22/19 03:14 PM
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 08/15/19 08:37 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Dennis Michael - 08/13/19 07:06 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 08/10/19 10:03 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.