BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#103095 - 09/18/09 12:22 AM Why not?
mikhial66 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 20/M/FL

This was taken last week. I uploaded this for no reason in particular. Maybe because I enjoy watching other people bowl so now I'll let you guys watch my form. I like to pretend that my form is better than it is, so this video is a little painful to watch.

Things wrong with my approach:

Need to move the ball sooner. Causes me to be over half a step late and my hips don't get out of the way soon enough.
No slide
Right foot is off the floor at finish
Backswing is too high
Stride is too long besides the first step
Footwork isn't too great, but I was working on that the other day. Actually slid a couple of times.
My ball is too far out in setup
I'm too straight up, and all the work is coming from my upper body instead of my legs.
Python
Midnight Vibe
T-Zone (Spare)
Copperhead(THS Ball)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#103096 - 09/18/09 12:57 AM Re: Why not? [Re: mikhial66]
mikhial66 Offline
High Roller

And my balance arm isn't doing anything
Python
Midnight Vibe
T-Zone (Spare)
Copperhead(THS Ball)

#103100 - 09/18/09 03:10 AM Re: Why not? [Re: mikhial66]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
First, I'd suggest that you try not to lean so much to the right. The cross step can help get your hip out of the way, but it look likes you are using it to compensate for you not getting low with your legs. This can really tweak your back out. PLus like you said, it's too late. Also use that balance arm to keep yourself aligned. It has it's own path as well. It travels from ball to in front of slide leg, to out in front of you, to it's final destination out to the side in one fashion or another.

Secondly, your swing plane is off. Watch the last shot from the front. You push it a tiny bit out to the right and pull it back behind your back. Try letting it free fall. Plus the bending to the side and the open shoulder isn't helping either. Because now you have to move the ball with your muscles instead of gravity to get it to catch up to your feet. At one point I thought you were going to swing the ball into your trail leg. No wories though. I ended up looking like this and had to straighten up more. Try dipping the shoulder a little, but keep your back straight, and bend at the knees. It does wonders mate. Additionally, like you said starting the ball earlier would definately help. You could try switching to a 5-step or a variant like mine (slide with left foot and then a 4 step approach). You'll already be in motion and can start the ball on the next step like you are already doing. The tricky part, getting used to a 5 step. grin

Third, don't turn your wrist over so early. This is something I'm still struggling with so no worries. Anywho, you're losing a ton of leverage out of your release. On the front and back shots you can see it pretty good. And by the time you release the bowl you're on top of it.

Fourth, a slide could definately help. It probably wouldn't make you look so much like you are moving along at a nice pace and then your caffiene all of a sudden kick in so you speed up. Plus the big thing for me, as always, is planting like that may generate a lot of power, but some water or food on your shoe and goodbye knee. It seems to me that when I slide, I get my body weight distributed throughout my leg with a majority in the quad and hamstring. When I plant or get stuck, I tend to have all that energy and body weight forced onto my knee. Additionally, it feels like more of my momentum and energy is transfered to the ball, but that may just be me.

Those were some things that stood out to me. I thought they were a bigger issue than some of the others. For the most part, decent Cranker plant and pull technique. A few areas of work but some practice could clear them up. I was just wondering if maybe you are tyring or thinking too much. Or even if Cranker is what you are going for.

As for some of the things you pointed out. The foot being off the ground, no biggie. TJ and WRW Jr. do it all the time, so does Scott Nolen and Chris Barnes occasionally. As long as you are smooth and clean at the line it's not a big deal. Backswing height is no biggie as long as you aren't forcing it to the point where you are completely vertical. Norm Duke and TJ have two very different backswing heights. I say, as long as it's free, no biggie. I like where your ball is positioned. I would like to see your non-swing hand underneath it to support the ball weight and get some tension out of the swing arm. All in all, at the setup, the ball looks to be in a great spot, especially, for a swinging-hinge pushaway. And being straight up can be fixed with a little bending at the waist and knees (mostly the knees). Act like you are going down an escalator behind a couch for your niece, nephew or whoever.

One thing that helps me is watching the pros. For pointers on my form I typically, watch bowlers who I bowl like. In my case, David Ozio and Chris Barnes. Additionally, I like to watch the female bowlers because they can't out-muscle a 15 or 16 pound ball like the guys so their technique is more sound.

Anywho, I hope this makes sense and helps. Sorry for the length.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#103105 - 09/18/09 08:21 AM Re: Why not? [Re: mikhial66]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Things I agree with:
Originally Posted By: mikhial66
Things wrong with my approach:
  • Need to move the ball sooner. Causes me to be over half a step late and my hips don't get out of the way soon enough.
  • No slide
  • Stride is too long besides the first step
  • I'm too straight up, and all the work is coming from my upper body instead of my legs.

The first 2 go together to keep your timing at the release point correct. Release point timing is actually ok right now - the ball is right behind the ankle when the foot plants. As you start to pushaway earlier, you will need to add more slide to keep your timing from getting out of sync, and vice versa.

Re: stride, your power step is the big oddity that I see. It has no power. It should be short, quick, and explosive - it gives you power into the slide and also ball speed.

If you shorten the power step, and push into the slide with the toe of your slide foot leading, you should get able to start the ball a bit earlier, and keep your timing in tact. As a bonus, this should eliminate that awkward part of your approach where the ball and both legs are all next to one another (0:14), because the ball should be past the legs by the time your right foot comes through.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#103106 - 09/18/09 09:02 AM Re: Why not? [Re: cgeorg]
Dennis Michael Online   jestera
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Your lower body is not in sync with your upper body. You keep your upper too rigid. I'd definitely push off earlier consistent with your first step because your ball arm is moving at a different tempo then your steps. You get to the line too quickly, and the ball is not there.

Take a dip into the slide step and use your legs for power as cg mentioned. This requires the ball to be down at the floor, which it isn't there yet.

You step into the slide step rather than slide into it. Then plant your foot and wait for the ball. Timing must be better. Earlier push off would help.

Seems you could score with your current style. It should improve with timing improvement.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#103112 - 09/18/09 09:45 AM Re: Why not? [Re: Dennis Michael]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
I say if it works, be careful when you change it. Maybe change just one thing or two things at a time.

What gets me is how you can plant your slide foot like that and not topple over at the line. But hey, whatever works.

Your final release reminds me of those guys in the Buddies Pro Shop Youtube videos, which is a good thing. However, at the top of the backswing your hand seems to be on the outside of the ball, whereas in the Buddies videos, their hand is on the inside of the ball, giving them lots of room to add revs on the release. That's just ann observation. I'm not saying either way is better.

I don't think your backswing is too high. It's not as high as Fagan's or PDW's. As long as you have control and let the ball drop due to gravity, the backswing height is irrelevant. It allows you to throw faster, the higher it is.

My final comment is that you are moving the ball as though you were taking five steps, but you're only taking 4 steps. Interesting. I take five steps, and when I looked at your upper body I thought hey, that's pretty good. Then I went back and looked at the legs, and wow! Only four steps. Weird. Okay, well maybe that's why your slide step is a plant istead of a slide....

I'm not Coach Jim, though, so all this is just FWIW....

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#103116 - 09/18/09 11:02 AM Re: Why not? [Re: 10PinGaloot]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I think your backswing height is fine, I would not change that at all. Your ball side arm, balance arm, and spine should form a "T" when the ball is at max height in your approach. Your ball side arm and spine are in a good 90 degree angle but your balance arm is down at your feet. This is what I would work on instead of worrying about ball height.

I also agree that your push away is late and fixing your timing could greatly imrove your game.

On a side note, how did the UCF tryouts go?
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#103126 - 09/18/09 02:27 PM Re: Why not? [Re: sk8shorty01]
Monteman Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 37 / male / Michigan
Slide a little. Protect your knees.

#103152 - 09/18/09 09:36 PM Re: Why not? [Re: mikhial66]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Demoman got it right when he said to look at the push away angle on your last shot from the front angle. The ball starts off to the right and then is to the left of your head at the top of the back swing.

I also agree monteman that you might want to try going into your last step toe first to help cushion your knees.

Using your balance arm more like Sk8 said will also help you increase your power.

#103523 - 09/23/09 04:03 PM Re: Why not? [Re: CoachJim]
mikhial66 Offline
High Roller

Thanks for the replies everyone. Some of it i knew, some I didn't. I haven't been able to reply because I've been so busy with school and bowling. I think I've bowled every day for the past 17 or 18 days. Today I was being coached and was starting to slide. I was told to first walk down as if I was on an escalator, then I had to not step heel first.

Sk8, tryouts weren't bad. I bowled decent, not as well as I would have liked, but decent. Made it on the team, now I have to work my way up to traveling.
Python
Midnight Vibe
T-Zone (Spare)
Copperhead(THS Ball)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 04:35 PM
End of Days
by explorer05 - 12:19 PM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by Richie V. - 07/10/18 12:19 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 07/09/18 07:13 AM
I'll try again
by Dennis Michael - 07/06/18 12:32 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 07/06/18 08:44 AM
Bowling ball colors
by BOSStull - 07/04/18 10:28 AM
Tiered Tape...
by BOSStull - 06/30/18 11:33 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - 06/22/18 04:31 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.