BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#103420 - 09/22/09 01:03 PM Index Finger pain/cold
MJbowler Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 26/Male/VA
Hey guys,
Ever since I've started bowling heavily again, my index finger is in constant pain (like it was jammed). It's in pain from supporting the ball with that finger, and also when I bowl for the first game or so my index finger will go cold (like its not getting blood). The cold index finger has always happend ever since i've been bowling - it's not bothersom really other than making me curious. I feel like my grip is finally correct for me, and my release feels really good. I guess I'm wondering if the pain caused in my index finger happend before my grip felt good, and just hasn't had time to heal since I haven't really stopped bowling.
Roto Grip Illusion
Columbia 300 White Dot

Current Avg. 207
Current High Game (career): 299
Current High Series (career): 812

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#103422 - 09/22/09 01:06 PM Re: Index Finger pain/cold [Re: MJbowler]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I would say whatever it is, its probably not going to just "go away". The cold feeling is a little bit of a red flag that you are having issues with blood flow or possible causing nerve tension or damage.

My opinion is you should bring it up to your doctor relatively soon as you could be causing irrepairable damage to your finger. Your doctor should be able to point you in the right direction.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#103424 - 09/22/09 01:24 PM Re: Index Finger pain/cold [Re: sk8shorty01]
MJbowler Offline
League Bowler

Well... I mean its nothing that sticks around. My finger may be cold for the first 3-4 frames then it is normal, same with the pain. It feels like my index finger needs to be popped.
Roto Grip Illusion
Columbia 300 White Dot

Current Avg. 207

#103425 - 09/22/09 01:39 PM Re: Index Finger pain/cold [Re: MJbowler]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Never heard of such a thing. Cold?? Needs to be popped??

Do you have a callus on the pad of that finger? Are you pressing it on the ball in delivery?
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#103426 - 09/22/09 01:58 PM Re: Index Finger pain/cold [Re: Dennis Michael]
sk8shorty01 Offline

All of your descriptions, to me at least, sound like you are straining or over extending a ligament (or tendon) and it could tear it if you are not careful. I would still plan a doctor visit and get it checked out, just to be safe. Better to be sure than to possibly lose the chance to bowl in the future.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

#103428 - 09/22/09 02:03 PM Re: Index Finger pain/cold [Re: Dennis Michael]
MJbowler Offline
League Bowler

No... no callus on the finger. I think the cold and the pain are 2 seperate situations. I think I may have just stressed my finger by trying to support too much weight on it to often. I'm not sure about index finger that gets cold at times. I'm thinking it could be related to carpal tunnel syndrome (which I have suffered from several years back). The only thing is... if it were CTS the condition would worsen as I bowled, but it only lasts for about 3 or 4 frames, then returns to normal
Roto Grip Illusion
Columbia 300 White Dot

Current Avg. 207

#103434 - 09/22/09 03:27 PM Re: Index Finger pain/cold [Re: MJbowler]
MJbowler Offline
League Bowler

I'm actually thinking about trying this out...

http://www.bowlerstore.com/p-2279-turbo-rev-grip.aspx

if nothing else it would provide a bit of cusion for the ball to push on. Has anyone else used one of those?
Roto Grip Illusion
Columbia 300 White Dot

Current Avg. 207

#103435 - 09/22/09 03:35 PM Re: Index Finger pain/cold [Re: MJbowler]
sk8shorty01 Offline

I know a couple of people that have used them without issue, although I do not think they had any issues prior to the adding the rev grip.

This might or might not fix your problem. How is the fit on your bowling ball? Is your span correct?

You can tell if the span is correct by placing your thumb in the ball and laying your hand across the finger holes without stretching the hand. With the hand relaxed (you can tell by feeling the webbing between the thumb and index) the leading edge of each finger hole should be half way between the first and second joint on its respective finger (max). It can be shorter, but should be no less than a quarter of the way from the second joint (closer to the base of the palm).
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

#103436 - 09/22/09 03:35 PM Re: Index Finger pain/cold [Re: MJbowler]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I've really only seen one person use one of those. He's missing the ends of several fingers, I believe they are the ring and pinkie finger and he places one on the ring finger I believe to help balance/support the ball. I don't think it's the answer to your original question though.
HS:763

#103438 - 09/22/09 03:48 PM Re: Index Finger pain/cold [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
MJbowler Offline
League Bowler

my span is the best its ever felt by far, I know several of you have read my posts with me complaining about my span and what not. When I lay my fingers across my ball relaxed the line of my first knuckle (on the bottom) lays about 3/4 of from the bottom of the hole to the top, and I'm now throwing the ball better than I ever have because of it. For one of the first times in my life I threw a full game where every ball was in the pocket (9 strikes, 2 10's and a solid 9). Even my 299 and 298 games had a brooklyn here and there. I've only been using this shortened span for about 2 weeks now (I posted a video of my span a while back, and have shortened the red ball in that video by about half an inch, and had the rest of the balls plugged to match). I also had reverse pitch added to my ring finger with an oval grip to relieve some ring finger pain I was having.

I would purely be using that turbo rev for padding until my finger healed (i'm pretty convinced that its a stress pain) - as far as the cold index finger for the first few frames I'm not sure. I guess i'll have to have that looked at, but its been that way for as long as I can remember (possibly as far as 10 years back).

Edited by MJbowler (09/22/09 03:50 PM)
Roto Grip Illusion
Columbia 300 White Dot

Current Avg. 207

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 10/18/18 04:06 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.