BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102964 - 09/16/09 03:01 PM Dry Conditions
dmoney298 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 27/M/Baltimore, MD
I bowl league on Friday nites and the conditions are really dry and burned out for the most part because my league starts right after another league. Keeping my ball in the pocket is a challenge in itself let alone trying to score good and win games. Would polishing my ball help or do I need to consider something else. I'm already standing at 37, throwing at 18 and my breakpoint is about 8.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#102987 - 09/16/09 08:48 PM Re: Dry Conditions [Re: dmoney298]
BayAreaBowler Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 40/M/California
That's a difficult situation. You could polish your ball or get a ball that is designed for those conditions, something not very aggressive. Also you might have to learn to go even deeper on the lane, left of the fourth arrow. To do this you might have to stand in front of the ball return when you're on the right lane. I don't envy you that's for sure. I think I'd avoid any league that bowls after another league session if possible.

The other option is to move right and basically throw the ball straight at the pocket. Cut down your rev rate and throw it hard around the second arrow. It's not much fun but you might end up scoring better.

Arsenal (order of current preference):
15# Ebonite Mission
15# RotoGrip Nomad Solid
15# Storm Reign of Fire
15# Storm Virtual Gravity

#102992 - 09/16/09 09:58 PM Re: Dry Conditions [Re: BayAreaBowler]
dmoney298 Offline
Bracket Donor

I actually been scoring pretty good minus my last game this past friday but that was more so because I lost my focus. But I know that I need another option to switch too because there may come a night where that line just dont feel right or I'm not getting the carry. I tried standing in front the ball return and that really doesnt work well for me. I have another ball that I'm going to try this week and see what kind of reaction I get. I'll try cutting down on the revs too. Always good to keep the option open.

#102996 - 09/16/09 10:29 PM Re: Dry Conditions [Re: dmoney298]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
I can not really give advice on the ball polishing,But if you decide on different equipment My fast does extremely well on the dry, I had it drilled for more back end.

I actually purchased it for dry conditions because the league I bowl in is in a poorer house (10 Lanes small community) and the owner cant afford to use a lot of oil. The price point of the ball isn't bad either.

I also use the tropical which also is drilled for back end and it performs well also if you dont mind the lack of a good core (I haven't really noticed much difference) It was even a better buy.
Mutant Cell

#102999 - 09/16/09 10:43 PM Re: Dry Conditions [Re: Rocket]
dmoney298 Offline
Bracket Donor

I looked at the Fast quite a few time. From what I heard the back end is pretty good. I have a Flash Point that I been using and I think the Fast is kinda simalar to it expect the Flash Point is about 4 years old lol. But to my surprise, that ball is reacting almost as much as my hy-road.

#103021 - 09/17/09 06:41 AM Re: Dry Conditions [Re: dmoney298]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
If I get a chance I will post some video up, Of mine and my sons fast his is drilled stronger then mine but maybe give you an idea on how they react on dry conditions.

His league is in a different house as well that has medium to light oil and it handles those conditions very well also.
Mutant Cell

#103027 - 09/17/09 08:54 AM Re: Dry Conditions [Re: Rocket]
dmoney298 Offline
Bracket Donor

Alright that sounds good. I'll look out for that.

#103060 - 09/17/09 01:23 PM Re: Dry Conditions [Re: dmoney298]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Tips for dry lanes.

1. Equipment = low flare high polish weak cover
2. Speed = Hold ball higher in stance and let ball swing for more speed.
3. Angle = Move farther inside to find more oil on a house pattern. Sport patterns might have a reserve of oil out near the gutter so don't rule it out.
4. Release = flatter less cup and rotation. Smoother = longer, so scoot the ball instead of throwing the ball harder. Harder = more revs and earlier hook.
5. Loft If the heads dry up and there is oil down the lane then increase the loft by not bending your knees as much to gain a higher release point.

#103067 - 09/17/09 02:39 PM Re: Dry Conditions [Re: CoachJim]
I_Bowl4Money Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Sterling, VA -- USA
Originally Posted By: CoachJim
Tips for dry lanes.

1. Equipment = low flare high polish weak cover
(High RG / Low DIFF)

4. Release = flatter less cup and rotation. Smoother = longer, so scoot the ball instead of throwing the ball harder. Harder = more revs and earlier hook.
(Get set on the approach by holding the ball with your thumb at 9 o'clock. When you swing the ball, try to keep your hand in that same position through the swing and at the release point, basically like holding a suitcase!)

#103070 - 09/17/09 02:54 PM Re: Dry Conditions [Re: I_Bowl4Money]
dmoney298 Offline
Bracket Donor

Wow. I forgot all about the suitcase release. I'm taking notes to put in my bag for future reference. Great tips guys.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 10:42 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/21/18 07:57 AM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.